Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Deamon

Save Tony...grab onto to that HDS-7...Save Tony...yank off that HDS-7...I'm telling you, I would've had a tough decision to make...almost lost 4 team sewer guys in one year. Matt moving away, Roby's going into hiding since FRANK kicked his arse in Cambria...hahahaha!!!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
da22y

Great story to learn from.

---- No matter how good you are or how good you think you are. Unexpected things can happen out there, kayak fishing is a risky business.-----

I had a few times in the past, show up at LJ in early morning , look at the surf , think and think over, go home and sleep more... wait for a better day.

Life is more important than fishing ( or hooping ).
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Those lobster are going to taste extra special at Irvine this year...

I'm glad your fat-ass made it back alive.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Sorry for what happened to you, i should have listened to u, went out for 5 min, came back and got wet, messed up my phone, no lobster, and lost everybody phone #. Thanks Jorge
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Teambcw

Happy your both ok. Nice bugs! Hopefully the FF will be a easy swap.
Teambcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I continue to learn from posts and this is no different. Glad you are alive to tell the story. Where would we be without u?!!????!!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
battleborn

Bad situation…in hindsight maybe you should not have went. I also look at it from this point. You practiced re entry so you had a plan for the flip over. You had a ladder a PFD etc. You stayed calm under these adverse conditions. You did not go solo and had your partner close for just an emergency like this. Every time we go out its a calculated risk. You know your limits better than we do so in your judgement you went for it. I applaud you for your familiarization with your rig, how you coped with the serious situation, and the contingencies you had in place. A side note I always carry a hand pump to dewater the bilge just incase. I would have just lifted the cockpit hatch and pump the water out from there instead of opening the coffin. Good job with the swim and good job with the bugs. Live and learn.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
ericko

Got the late night text from George.. Telling me you got the limits but with a price...glad your OK ....
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Where's the video? Seriously tho, good you had a buddy that day just in case you couldn't have rescued yourself.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
PAL

Those inflatable PFDs are a hoot, aren't they? Pow! Wow, epic share. Getting back on the PA was no easy deal if you had to strip. Like Zed says, good thing it wasn't cold out.

What's your PA ladder look like?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
guamboas

Glad no one got hurt.

NAVY CHIEF PETTY OFFICER (RET)
guamboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
EastLosYaker

For anyone in need of a "bilge pump", I got mine at the 99cent store. It is really a kids toy water gun to be used in a swimming pool. I actually needed to use it about a month ago while fishing under the Coronado bridge when the leak in my yak became apparent. I worked like a champ and on top of that, it floats! Thanks to Andy for patching me back up. Great story for us to read. Glad everything turned out OK.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
For anyone in need of a "bilge pump", I got mine at the 99cent store. It is really a kids toy water gun to be used in a swimming pool. I actually needed to use it about a month ago while fishing under the Coronado bridge when the leak in my yak became apparent. I worked like a champ and on top of that, it floats! Thanks to Andy for patching me back up. Great story for us to read. Glad everything turned out OK.
Yea bad idea. Kids toys do not make suitable safety gear. Sure I will buy a slightly less expensive radio to save some money, or buy the $80 PFD instead of the $150 one, but I'm not trusting a super soaker with my life.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Yea bad idea. Kids toys do not make suitable safety gear. Sure I will buy a slightly less expensive radio to save some money, or buy the $80 PFD instead of the $150 one, but I'm not trusting a super soaker with my life.

Yeah eastlosyaker has touted his .99¢ "bilge pump" squirt gun before several times.

ELYER, just buy a regular bilge pump, they're not too expensive. You may not think its necessary right now, being relatively new to the kayak game and all...i wouldn't want to see you learn the hard way...

With all due respect i think its irresponsible to tell people to buy a squirtgun for a bilge pump.

So you say mine sank and yours floats...then buy a floating one. My sinking west marine bilge pump could out pump your squirtgun easily.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
FISH11

Really glad you both made it back OK. Those scary experiences always seem worse afterwards. While it's happening you usually are too busy dealing with what to do to correct the situation. The point of practicing "SELF RESCUE" can't be over stated. I believe most have never done it and until they have to, they won't know how hard it can be, especially wearing a PDF. Even if you have done it before but now you own a different kayak, you need to try it on the new yak. I can imagine how much harder it would be in the dark. My bilge pump has a float ring on it so it can't sink, but I don't think I would have wanted to open a hatch in those conditions to use it. Thank for sharing this story Tony it might save someone else's life.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #16
KayakDiverRick
Junior

Hi Tony, my name is Rick and I'm the SCUBA diver that ran into you guys as you were having your kayak mishap. I'm glad things had a happy ending and you made it back safely. I'm not sure if you were aware, but I had my GoPro running during the episode. I hope you don't mind me sharing the video, but I thought in an effort to promote safety the video could be of value. Please see new thread for video link.

Best,
Rick
KayakDiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Very cool rick! I wish you had gotten me flipping my kayak back over! That would've been pretty cool. We all need to be prepared when things go wrong, just because they never have doesn't mean that they never will...and the main thing is not to panic.

Thanks for standing by Rick!

Great..! now I get to relive the nightmare forever!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Lets_Fish

Looking through old posts, I came across this one.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...&postcount=321

Have you though of installing one of these, but use it for what it was designed for bildge pump not bait pump?
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #19
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Glad you made it back save....I spear fish along with fishing in my kayak, dive fins are my safety feature. There on the back of my kayak at all times if I go into the water there the first things I put on. No problem getting back in any kayak with dive fins.i am a big boy to 265 worst scenario I'll swim in....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-06-2014 at 02:03 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
johnnyblaze2009

Is it possible to show how you have the rope to flip your PA back over and the ladder system you came up with. It would help when trying to explain this to my dad who has flipped his before. Thanks in advance and I'm glad your ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote