Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #21
GTboosted

I bought the Bixby rear mount for the pa last year. Also got the watersnake motor to try and modify it into the mount. From what I remember reading that the Bixby lacked power. Hoping the watersnake and this mount is
good.

I gotta stop being lazy and continue with the project.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
ful-rac
Emperor

Finally tried out the Rear mounted Bixpy + Mirage drive....and it's FAST! Using the bixpy at a low level plus pedaling gives you 4+mph that's sustainable for very long periods. So I found that at level 2-3 + pedaling is easily faster than level 10 the highest speed on the bixpy, when your using it just by itself. Battery life using this setup has probably doubled and maybe even tripled...to tell you the truth I don't really know how long battery life could be extended....cause when I started the day I had 6 led's and when I came back I had 6 led's on saturday. This is just using it to travel to the fishing grounds and making bait and then traveling back....probably around 2 miles each way give or take...

Downside of course is the extra setup and break down time your gonna have...but if your into hauling ass traveling to and from the fishing grounds...this might be your thang!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #23
Bruntoj

What are your thoughts on surf launching and landing, at somewhere reasonable like LJ? Do you launch and land with the mirage drive instead? Can you stow the Bixby in the front hatch of a PA14 or is it too big? If you capsize in the surf, how do you secure the battery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #24
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
What are your thoughts on surf launching and landing, at somewhere reasonable like LJ? Do you launch and land with the mirage drive instead? Can you stow the Bixby in the front hatch of a PA14 or is it too big? If you capsize in the surf, how do you secure the battery?

Surf launching with the rear mounted bixpy could be done, but probably should only be done on the easiest low surf days. It would be too easy to start breaking things if things went sideways during launching and landing. Now as far as the Mirage drive well mounted bixpy...no problem. Just store it in the front hatch, battery and all and take it out when you need it. Oh another thing to mention is that the battery floats...so does the mirage drive adapter.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
Bruntoj

Wait...what...huh? The battery floats? Yes!!!
Just to be clear, does the jet/motor section float too?

And it fits inside the plastic insert tray on the PA14?!

It’s going on my birthday list

So legally I’m supposed to register as a vessel, but realistically I might not have to if I keep a low profile?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
Wait...what...huh? The battery floats? Yes!!!
Just to be clear, does the jet/motor section float too?

And it fits inside the plastic insert tray on the PA14?!

It’s going on my birthday list

So legally I’m supposed to register as a vessel, but realistically I might not have to if I keep a low profile?

If you are using the mirage drive adapter mount, yes to be clear....it ALL FLOATS! Battery, adapter + bixpy. Go ahead throw the whole system over the side...yes it will float.

I guess technically you are supposed to register your kayak if you use a motor....but I haven’t, nobody has hassled me....yet. Should you? Your just gonna have to answer that question yourself.

Now with that said...I definitely prefer to use the rear mount for the bixpy plus the mirage drive so I’m using duel methods of propulsion. Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems to more than triple battery life compared to bixpy only. Now the rear mount is a lot more gear to setup and break down but the advantage cannot be denied.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #27
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Finally tried out the Rear mounted Bixpy + Mirage drive....and it's FAST!
With the conversation going around about crossing the channel in October, THIS would be the rig I'd choose. Even when you get tired, the bixpy keeps on tickin'...

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #28
TJones

Grab one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I've been wanting to get one for my PA17, have both the peddles and the motor.
Well worth it.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #29
Bruntoj

Any feedback on durability, issues, battery life after another year of ownership would be much appreciated.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #30
Saba Slayer

Bixpy

I liked the system so much I bought a second motor and battery for my other PA 14...I'm sold...LOL...
Definitely, "well worth the money"!
Best motor system I've used in the last 10 years...some say the Torquedo is a better motor and battery ("a rocket ship built to go to the post office")...but for the money, you can't go wrong with Bixpy
They are in San Diego so it only takes a few days to do a turnaround on service if you need it send it in for any reason...I just received my battery after a circuit board update to allow a separation of controllers for multiple motors...
Battery life is great and it's really easy to learn to use the motor more judiciously the longer you have the system...Using any of the electric motors at top speed will run that battery down FAST......so you tend to learn how to best use the speed and save your batteries.
The variety of options for connecting to the Hobie's and various water craft is pretty cool...
Durability is pretty good...just a couple small issues that were resolved easily......their service is Excellent and Fast...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1562543867
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7260075.jpg (21.3 KB, 116 views)

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #31
sculpins4bait

just use two bixpys one on rear, one in the mirage drive
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #32
igotpron
Xcoastie

What if you had an oasis and did 3. Bixbys. Seems totally reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #33
cris

I have an oasis and with 3 motors that thing would fly- you could probably get it on plane.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #34
Bruntoj

Bixpy Jet...

With the release of the new mirage 360 drive, I’m wondering why the bixpy can’t be swiveled/pivoted. It doesn’t, does it?

Edit: No it doesn’t.
https://bixpy.com/mirage-assembly

Last edited by Bruntoj; 07-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #35
Iceman
Administrator

the swivel of the 360 is dependent on the drive gear and the gear and control incorporated into the drivewell and controls on kayak. have to have all to do this.