Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
trinidude

La Jolla 10/28/11

Went to la jolla today with my buddy
Left the lax area around 2:30 am and stopped by Oceanside to drop something off
On the water by 5:30 am
Slow day with perfect conditions no wind small swell felt like I was at a lake
Caught two lings on the slider and we caught calicos on dropper loop with fresh dead squid. All calicos releases water temp was 62 degrees with red tide gone and lots of bait
No fish of the right kind caught today

But my buddy did loose his hobbie paddle this morning he thinks it came off on the launch so I anyone found a paddle this morning please let me know thank you

Tony
trinidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice work. Were the Lings good size?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Sounds like a mirror image of our day yesterday, no wind no waves, lake like condiitons, more bait than I have ever seen in one day, lots of lings all short beautiful day though
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
trinidude

one of the lings was around 25" and the other ling was about 32" but yeah overall a good day but unfortunatelly none of the right kind
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Aaron&Julie

We all know what the right kind is, but I've got to say 2 legal lings aren't the wrong kind, especially a 32" one. True, driving from L.A. you might have higher expecatations, but a legal ling is way better than nothing. Thanks for the report.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
lterrero
Leo

Thanks for the report trinidude
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
trinidude

yeah we were happy about the fish they ended up real good after the korean owner of the tackle shop i work at fried them with a korean batter
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
hook1fred

nice job on the lings..... I was out monday and scored a nice one myself, not huge but 27 inches is fine in my book
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
SquidJig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Sounds like a mirror image of our day yesterday, no wind no waves, lake like condiitons, more bait than I have ever seen in one day, lots of lings all short beautiful day though
I was out Sunday, too. It was a beautiful day, as mtnbykr2 reports. Bait everywhere. Maybe the best part of the day was outfishing Sharon for a change. I've never caught ling cod before so I wasn't sure of what I had. I thought they were green but these weren't. I wasn't sure about the regs either so I just kept the first one, a 24 incher that weighed in at 6 lbs, 14 ozs.

In about an hour and a half, I pulled up two more potential keepers and lost what would have been the biggest, assuming it was another ling. It seems they were schooling under the bait. They bit on live squid, a dead squid and a little greenie. They aren't YTs or WSBs but they still gave me a good time.

I also didn't know how good eating they are. Now I wish I had kept two. It's beautiful fish. Hopefully they'll still be out there on Wednesday.
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote