Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
Murray

Thank You Mr. Braid

seemed overall slow on Friday. saw several yaks with fish but a lot were snake bit. lucked out and got one around 10:30 at the corner. first tail on braid and quite a different experience as it cut its way thru the kelp. had lost a couple several weeks ago on mono before changing to braid. after yesterday, I can see why mono makes it near impossible to land a fish in the kelp. felt the line snap thru the kelp the whole fight. cranked continually to keep slack out of the line as the cutting process creates a concerning feel compared to open water fight with mono. thought I lost him at the end to only discover that the braid had made a final cut out of the kelp and the fish was probably heading toward me.....line went pretty slack. Cranked hard and bingo.........fish still on. Came away a real believer in braided line for kelp area fishing. seemed like seals were roving on the inside compared to a little deeper water. no ff but worked mostly 110 plus ft per others with ff. thanks kevin and vince for helping lifting yak onto and off racks. plan on making some ceviche per yani recipe. he sure is fun to listen to on his website. cool customer for sure. blessings to all and enjoy this epic fishing season we are having.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
kayakfisherman

Murray,

I was gonna comment about your braid story, then I read the part
where you're going to use a recipe of mine. Thanks for giving it a
try. Hope you like it!!

But, concerning braid, it's amazing stuff. Until you start ripping hooks
out of your targets mouth. That's the only draw back. I learned my lesson
and back off the hard hook set. I really like using circle hooks since they
don't require a hard hook set. I use sharp hooks, always. And I make
sure to have a soft fast action tip on my rods.

Otherwise, braid is the way to go in La Jolla. Congrats on the fish.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Murray

Been using circle hooks for a long time Yani. Especially on a kayak where you do not have the leverage of a boat platform to get a solid hook set with a J hook. Too tired yesterday to cook but either today or manana. I am getting to be an old geezer and it takes me a day or two to recover. Probably due to being so excited the nite of launch that I am up at 1:30 a.m. Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
FISH11

Great story. X2 on the use of circle hooks and braid, both are amazing. Congrats on the fish.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Murray

Yani,

Just finished having my first ceviche tostado and all I can say is WOW...ha ha. Hot today and the ceviche is really refreshing. One serrano was just perfect...feel the heat but not too much. My wife has been hounding me to start cooking after all these years. Once the kids left she said I was on my own. Salads get a bit old after awhile. Your enthusiasm motivated me to give cooking a try. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. Picked up ingredients for your greek yogurt recipe and will be trying it next. Having fun in the kitchen and I think my wife is happy too.