Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #261
AlwaysFishing

Thank you gentlemen. I guess in the backseat it goes.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #262
AlwaysFishing

Gas

When you fill up your gas tank, do you dump out any old remaining gas or do you just add more on top of it? What additive do you use or is additive even needed? I have a 2018 Tohatsu 5HP 4 strokes engine. TIA
Old 02-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #263
FISH11

I just top it off after a couple of trips. I can usually do 3-4 trips out in La Jolla on one tank, but I rather top it off when its around 1/2 tank. No dumping or additive, just 87 octane regular gas. I've checked the distance traveled on trips using my GPS and convert the trail into a course and then my Lowrance will show me how many miles it was. I get over 20 miles/gallon of gas.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #264
AlwaysFishing

Thank you Mark for the info and suggestions. 20/gal is outstanding!
Old 02-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #265
NICKWORN

Tiller extension

[QUOTE=AlwaysFishing;312817]Awesome, thanks Nick. Wished I asked in here first.

I cut the extension on the ass end but still had to cut some of the rubber grip to get that extra 1/2” I needed to not hit my seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6B3F2B7A-8561-4ABB-91CD-9B0B1BC586B2.jpeg (124.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpeg 05A4487E-B8F8-46A5-8943-4EB3B1512B43.jpeg (113.3 KB, 168 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #266
AlwaysFishing

Thanks for the pictures Nick.

Quote:
I cut the extension on the ass end but still had to cut some of the rubber grip to get that extra 1/2” I needed to not hit my seat.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #267
AlwaysFishing

Redondo Hoist

Has anyone use the hoist in Redondo? How much were you charged?
Would like to know if it can be done if the skiff is on the truck bed instead of a trailer.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #268
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Has anyone use the hoist in Redondo? How much were you charged?
Would like to know if it can be done if the skiff is on the truck bed instead of a trailer.
~$20 depending on length. Opens at 6am which is a deal breaker for many. I can't answer the truck bed question.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #269
AlwaysFishing

So expensive! Yeah 6am is a little late. Wish they would hurry up with that boat ramp. Will Redondo Beach’s King Harbor get a boat ramp in the next decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
~$20 depending on length. Opens at 6am which is a deal breaker for many. I can't answer the truck bed question.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #270
tak100
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Are you using the boat ramp in Cabrillo or are you beach launching? I am looking to launch in Newport and Redondo as well. I guess the only way to launch in Redondo is to use the hoist. Newport boat ramp is so far from the harbor opening that it's going to take forever to get out to open water.
With my outback I launched from the beach. With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. Fished all day from Point Fermen to White's point for mostly nada. I was mostly looking for whales. Back in the harbor on the way home and birds are crashing all over, double hookups of larger macks and right in the middle a young grey whale. Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

All of this in a stiff wind which would have made it impossible in my outback.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #271
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. . Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

These highlights to your post, are some of the highlight of why the SOLO SKIFF is INSANE FUN!
Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #272
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
These highlights to your post, are some of the highlight of why the SOLO SKIFF is INSANE FUN!
I am soo tempted to tell you guys to stop posting on this thread because I am going effing crazy not being able to get one of these that I have had on order for almost 5 months now.

Just kidding as I can hardly wait as it looks soo much fun. I now want to order another so my family will have 2 of these.

At least it is cold now and the fishing is slow.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #273
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I am soo tempted to tell you guys to stop posting on this thread because I am going effing crazy not being able to get one of these that I have had on order for almost 5 months now.

Just kidding as I can hardly wait as it looks soo much fun. I now want to order another so my family will have 2 of these.

At least it is cold now and the fishing is slow.
SORRY CHRIS! We can't help ourselves. If you could see the smiles on our faces when opening up the throttle and while buzzing the open water, there are porpoises jumping around the bow. Just another of the fun things on a SOLO SKIFF.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #274
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
SORRY CHRIS! We can't help ourselves. If you could see the smiles on our faces when opening up the throttle and while buzzing the open water, there are porpoises jumping around the bow. Just another of the fun things on a SOLO SKIFF.
Damn Mark, you make it sound even funner and I know funner is not a word.

This summer will be a blast
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #275
FISH11

.. ...
Old 02-21-2021, 12:12 AM   #276
FISH11

I took portions of video I had made and put together a highlight video of some of the fun things I get to do on the SOLO SKIFF. The advantages of being able to surf launch or go into area only Kayaks can, while having the advantage of the Tohatsu 6HP outboard with it's power and fuel efficiency. Not having to worry about wind or current, is an advantage you don't have in a Kayak. The speed you can cover water, even when it's rough. It's just a blast and on every trip I find myself grinning and smiling at what fun the SOLO SKIFF is and how stable it is. Nothing like it! Truly a KAYAK on STEROIDS! Had to turn audio down and off on sections, because utube blocked it the first time for copy rights, due to music that I had playing on the speaker box on the deck, that I no longer use. Ended up adding some free music from utube on the areas that I had to remove the background music I had originally. The still picture of the guy on the SOLO SKIFF with La Jolla Children's pool in the background is Mikey aka SD FISH AND SIPS, forgot to add it to the titles.

Last edited by FISH11; 02-24-2021 at 02:38 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #277
AlwaysFishing

Thanks Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
With my outback I launched from the beach. With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. Fished all day from Point Fermen to White's point for mostly nada. I was mostly looking for whales. Back in the harbor on the way home and birds are crashing all over, double hookups of larger macks and right in the middle a young grey whale. Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #278
NICKWORN

Rockfish Opener

Had a blast on Monday with 5 Skiffs present at LJ for the Rockfish Opener. It was slow, bait was small and the rockfish bite shutoff as fast as it came on. I managed 6, a good red in the mix.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #279
FISH11

I was so pleasantly surprised when I arrived at La Jolla Shores to launch my Solo Skiff on Monday 3-1-2021 and there where 4 other Solo Skiffs at the launch. Since I don't do facebook, I had no idea that Nick and others had planned to launch that day. Mondays is one of my favorite days to hit La Jolla anyways so it was great having a group of us 5 SOLO SKIFFS running around chasing bait and looking for Rock Fish and Yellowtail. These are some section of videos I recorded that day, unfortunately the fishing was a little slow but the weather turned out to be perfect. There's nothing like a nice weather day on the La Jolla water to chill out.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #280
AlwaysFishing

Rockfish opener weekend on the Solo Skiff

The Solo Skiff is such a great fishing machine. So much faster to and from the fishing ground. Loving it!

Here is my video from this weekend opener in Redondo Beach.

https://youtu.be/tceKKg_I4Jc

-Quang

Last edited by AlwaysFishing; 03-07-2021 at 10:51 PM.