Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Anti-Hobie sentiment?

On another board, it seems there is a bias against Hobies. Why is that?

Is it the lack of storage? Stigma that Hobies aren't true "kayaks"? I can't figure it out.

All I know is that Hobie took real good care of me. I'm a customer for life after they hooked me up.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
semiwrecker

they probably cant afford one?
semiwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Not everyone likes Hobies, me personally I'm sure they have their pluses and minuses, but I personally like the Ocean Kayaks, and Malibu kayaks. Not sure why people have such and dislike for them, they are pretty cool, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 05-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
GunWall Flint
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiwrecker View Post
they probably cant afford one?
Lol. thats a harsh statement

P.s i love my hobie
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Two words. Peddle Envy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Gino

they dont make a big mans kayak OR else Id buy one!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Dan

i'm saving for one of these:

"shotgun!"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
semiwrecker

how much she cost? ^^^
semiwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
Dan

seriously......have not heard one person who switched from paddle to peddle ever complain about it. I'd try one.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
they dont make a big mans kayak OR else Id buy one!
Pro Angler?????
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Rob929

Some guys say they are kayak "purists" and Hobie's aren't true kayaks.

I'm a fisherman. Whatever gets me there. Its hard to beat peddling a Hobie, and experienced hands free kayak fishing. I personally don't care if I'm not considered a "true" kayaker. For the application, peddling beats paddling hands down. not to mention efficiency and range. The Mirage drive is an impressive engineering accomplishment that allows hands free propulsion. That's my $.02. But the Hobie vs. paddle argument will live on..
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob929 View Post
Some guys say they are kayak "purists" and Hobie's aren't true kayaks.

I'm a fisherman. Whatever gets me there. Its hard to beat peddling a Hobie, and experienced hands free kayak fishing. I personally don't care if I'm not considered a "true" kayaker. For the application, peddling beats paddling hands down. not to mention efficiency and range. The Mirage drive is an impressive engineering accomplishment that allows hands free propulsion. That's my $.02. But the Hobie vs. paddle argument will live on..
Interesting. I guess that might be it.

Although, fishing yesterday, there's no way a guy in a paddle yak would have been able to fish the conditions I was in.

The current was so strong, you'd have to be able to wind in your line with ONE hand, and paddle with the other to keep you in place. With the Hobie, I was able to point the nose into the current, gently peddle and still be able to fish. When I stopped peddling, I was drifting 100 feet off the structure in about 2 minutes.

Still, to each their own I guess.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
cowboybill

paddle vs peddle

I must admit, as I mentioned in a previous post, that I am new to kayaks, not a real experienced fishing guy, etc.....

When I was shopping, part of me was turned off by the price of hobie ( I was shopping for 2 kayaks, 1 for me and 1 for the wife)....there was also a part of me that likes the simplicity of a boat, and a paddle...I own enough stuff that needs maintenance and lubrication.

And when you look at the drive, it has chains, pivots, moving parts, etc.

But having fished with a guy that has one, and seen how efficient the system works being hands free, it is hard to honestly argue against the peddle system, especially for fishing!

Its like water cooled engine vs air cooled...
Long travel suspension vs no suspension...
Disc brakes vs drum brakes...

I will say I like the upper body workout that paddling offers, as most things like hiking, bikes, etc tend to work out the legs mostly...

My only fear is that if I replace my paddle kayak with a peddle, and the wife has an even harder time keeping up, then I need 2 of them, and we are back to Money!!

AAaargh!!!

cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Let me ask this you all that own Hobies, do you still take a paddle out with You in the event your peddle drive does not work for what ever reason?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Let me ask this you all that own Hobies, do you still take a paddle out with You in the event your peddle drive does not work for what ever reason?
I take a paddle with me on my Hobie; the Hobie has an area on each side of the kayak to store the paddle. The mirage drive is great for trolling and/or making it easier to get from Point A to Point B very quickly. I use my paddle when I am in the kelp, planning to come ashore, or when I feel like giving my legs a rest. The nice thing about the mirage drive is you can set the drive so the fins store against the kayak hull, pull up the rudder, and now you can get in shallow or on the kelp with your paddle, then when you are in deeper water, deploy the fins and off you go.

I looked at a lot of kayak manufacturers and the reason I chose the Hobie is the quality of the kayak and the mirage drive in my experience allows you to maneuver the kayak while allowing your arms to be free to handle the rod.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
you'd be crazy not to take it with you. The last time I was in the bay, I was sprinting to the launch ramp when one of my turbo fins came loose. If I didn't have the paddle, I'd have to paddleboard it back to the ramp.

It's also useful when you want to push off from something, back up, or maneuver around in tight spaces (docks).
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
Whizz Bang

Just got my revo....it is INSANE!!!!!! I spent half the day just giggling like a school girl and pedalling like a lunatic....to easy.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
Just got my revo....it is INSANE!!!!!! I spent half the day just giggling like a school girl and pedalling like a lunatic....to easy.
Yeah it was pretty embarrassing being around you and your giggling. Thanks again for the phone call on Friday afternoon with the following theme.....'YOU PICKED THE WRONG DAY TO FISH'
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Gino

pro angler is a boat not a kayak at 100lbs dry, I'll stick to the Malibu Extreme

I dont like leaning back or the way I sit in the Hobie, makes me feel like im going to flip. Im sure adjusting the mirage Drive would fix most of that. I feel more at controll paddling than I do peddling.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
skipper
Junior

hobie rocks!!!

I have a pro angler \EVO drive, spent the past week IN lake havusu , put 20 miles on and never did paddle or peddle . Iwas just FISHING!!!!
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote