Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Superduper
Junior

Braided Line Question

Been fishing braided line on both reels this summer and losing every hook up to kelp. I've had the line on my reel for years and it appears to still be good. No breaks or tattered looking line. Wondering if it's too old and losing its "saw" action ? Or maybe I'm letting the fish get too deep in kelp and regardless of what I do it's too deep to cut out ? Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Matt_Magnone
Junior

In the tackle shop I have a lot of guys ask me that question. Braid isn't going to lose it's "saw effect". The line by nature is very abrasive and even worn out braid will still cut.

If you're losing fish to the kelp it could be from any number of reasons. Your connection knot, line diameter, age of leader or even how much pressure you're applying.

If you get a fish that heads for it and wraps you up, a lot of times i'll back off the drag even dumping the reel into free spool allowing the fish to hopefully swim out. As soon as you imagine your leader clearing the kelp apply some pressure and short pump the fish. Often times the braid will cut the kelp. Sometimes it requires a few tries.

Hope this helps buddy!
(951) 658-7410
Matt_Magnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
tacmik

Now. When you say every hookup lost. How many is that? One hookup? That could be just a bad knot. If it is a lot of hookups, may be bad or old braid. It's been on your reel for years and probably needs to be changed out.
If there are no breaks or tattered line, how are the fish getting off?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Superduper
Junior

I'm using 30 lb leader with 4.0 circle hook. I always get my hook back. When the fish goes in the kelp I try and horse him out thinking he can't break my set up and I don't want him to go too far into the kelp. I feel kelp pop (I think) then it seems like he keeps going further into kelp. Then it's full bendo-stuck. Finally "pop" and up comes the hook ????
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Well first of all your hook is not 4.0...it's a 4/0!

You can't win'em all....pull harder next time try to keep it outta the kelp as much as you can. If it does get buried again....then try sawing back and forth, if that doesn't work try free spool'n it a little....check the length of your leader, make sure it's not too long. If it is....your mono/floro will not cut the kelp.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

One thing to consider is not all braid are made alike. Super slick powerpro will not cut as well as plain original powerpro. I had a real life demonstration of this today when I unintentionally almost spooled myself on a reel that I bought used from someone. I already knew that there were two different braids on the reel but after this incident I discovered there was actually three. When drawing in the line the first one felt like yarn, not very abrasive at all. The second was perhaps a little more. The last which I'm pretty sure is the original powerpro left a cut on my thumb.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote