Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
joemama15
Junior

Lost gear (July 1st 2010) @ LJ shores surf zone

Hey folks... we had a pretty bad spill at La Jolla's surf zone (about 20-30 ft north of the yellow hotel bouys) today and lost a few items very very valuable to me. I know I should of had my gear together better (and I usually do), but after having a clean record of no crashes, I got overzealous and thought I had everything under control. Mother nature said no.

If any of you run into these and would be so kind enough to return them, I would be most grateful. Also willing to reward...
Please help.

Thanks~

-Fishing rods and reels. (x5) : They are quite nice ones and some are custom. They all had reel covers when going overboard. I can describe to match if you find them.

-Small blue Shimano jig box (6x10x8"?) Has various irons and jigs

-Digital camera. Silver in color. Can also describe in detail. It is in fact waterproof, and has some recent photo's of my 2yr old boy learning to swim which I didn't save yet... shame on me...
If any of you find this, you can have the camera, I'll even give you the battery charger. Just let me have the memory card.

-Green Burton wind breaker
-short handle landing net
-various dikes and needle nose pliers (I pray nobody gets injured by them... these probably sank into the sand)

I hope the community will be kind hearted enough to help return these items to the rightful owners.
PLEASE let me know if you happen to come across any of these...
Thank you!!!!!!!

(818) 648-0370. Joe.

**btw, thanks to all those who helped gather my gear that was recovered~
Really appreciate your kindness.
joemama15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
umtduckhead

dang brotha you lost alot of stuff.. good luck on the find.. hopefully youll get it back.
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
ken aguilar

Sorry man for the loss, I hope they are recovered. I'll keep an eye out for sure.
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
joemama15
Junior

Thanks bro. I brought some extra gear to take my buddy fishing at LJ. He's a local there, but 1st time to fish there.

Crossing fingers~

-Joe.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
fishinkid2010

Were you in a kayak or a portaboat? I helped out some guys that flipped their portaboat and they too yardsale'd it and lost a bunch of gear.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

it was a rough landing yesterday, i don't have a mask or trunks with me, otherwise i'd be down there searching after work.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
joemama15
Junior

FishinKid...

That was us. We were in a Portabote. My friend is a sushi chef at Sushiya near Point Loma, and I was hoping to hook him up with a YT or WSB that day.

Were you the one who offered to lend me a snorkel mask? I should have taken the offer. After getting home I thought about it, and now I believe the camera, and the lost rods just sank straight down from the flip site.

I used to have a 8hp to get us through the surf zone with no problems, but this time I only had a 2hp, and my friend didnt want to paddle for his first time out. Entry timing was ok untill a huge wave built up far behind, and caught up to us too quickly. I had no more juice to avoid it. The stern just tilted, and lifted up in a matter of seconds, and flipped the 12x4 ft skiff.
I just took the motor apart today and it has a broken con-rod too.

Next time I'm paddling.

Anyway, if any of you come across some fishing gear or a dig camera in the surf... PLEASE PLEASE give me a call. If I can't ID the stuff. then its yours.

Thanks!
(818) 648-0370

Joe.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
fishinkid2010

Yes, that was me with the snorkel mask. I usually carry one in my truck just in case for instances like these. If I ever yardsaled (knock on wood) I couldn't afford to replace my gear haha, so I always have one.

I'll be out there next week, so if by some miracle I find something I'll let you know. But you guys should definitely check with the lifeguard station incase somethings washed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama15 View Post
FishinKid...

That was us. We were in a Portabote. My friend is a sushi chef at Sushiya near Point Loma, and I was hoping to hook him up with a YT or WSB that day.

Were you the one who offered to lend me a snorkel mask? I should have taken the offer. After getting home I thought about it, and now I believe the camera, and the lost rods just sank straight down from the flip site.

I used to have a 8hp to get us through the surf zone with no problems, but this time I only had a 2hp, and my friend didnt want to paddle for his first time out. Entry timing was ok untill a huge wave built up far behind, and caught up to us too quickly. I had no more juice to avoid it. The stern just tilted, and lifted up in a matter of seconds, and flipped the 12x4 ft skiff.
I just took the motor apart today and it has a broken con-rod too.

Next time I'm paddling.

Anyway, if any of you come across some fishing gear or a dig camera in the surf... PLEASE PLEASE give me a call. If I can't ID the stuff. then its yours.

Thanks!
(818) 648-0370

Joe.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
joemama15
Junior

Thanks bro~

Really appreciate it. I do mean it when I say I will reward.

And yea, I'm calling the life guard tower and LJ kayak rentals every day.
I might even have the exact point of the flip in my Garmin GPS...

Wish I could be back on the shores.

-Joe.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
radastaff

that sucks
it was rather brutal there today
specially in the morning
tough launch

when i landed around 1:30
is was really crowded
tons of rentals in the zone
tons of swimmers too

having a swim mask and fins
is always a good idea
i bring mine now always

sorry bout ure lost gear

p
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
CurtyL

Hope you get it back. Dudes were getting crushed yesterday. I saw one guy swim his yak out. I guess if you're already soaked thats a viable option.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
T Bone

I feel your pain

I had a post about 2 months ago telling about the "Ultimate" yard sale.Apparently you now have the title.I lost $1500 in rods-reels and tackle on deck.All I could save was thw WSB in my lap.I didnt get any of my gear back,but I wish you the best.I have a skiff too(9ft. boston whaler with 4 horse merc) but I only take it out when the surf is doable.It was a great day when i discovered I could land it panga style.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
joemama15
Junior

Thanks... just gotta keep calling in the lifeguard tower. I'm sure they'll be annoyed after a week or so.

Yea, its interesting to see the surf pounding at the shores. I've seen it bad sometimes, but not so consistently. I had moments wishing I was on my surfboard and not my skiff.

Anyway, please help keep an eye out. The kayak community is one of the tightest and supportive groups I've met. Very friendly too... which is why I believe yak fishing has grown so much...

Have a happy and safe 4th everyone!

-Joe
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Geoffkoop

Sorry for all your losses. Not much but I found a gaff yesterday. Pm me if it's yours.
Thanks
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
joemama15
Junior

Thanks for looking out. Unfortuneately it's not my gaff. Mine got bent in half while in the rod holder.

I guess this is a start. Hope more stuff comes up.