Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
rnproductions300

Is this a good deal for a Hobie kayak

I found this yak on Craigslist and was wondering if was a good deal or not. Also, would it be good for fishing. Most hobies are in the thousands and I am not trying to spend more than $7-800 on my new yak. I know it doesn’t have rod holders, but does it handle seas well. Any input is appreciated.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...376661059.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnproductions300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

That is a $600 GT drive shown. That original Mirage model was built for speed though not fishing.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
rnproductions300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That is a $600 GT drive shown. That original Mirage model was built for speed though not fishing.

That drive will fit the kayak right?

Old 11-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Yes, it will fit the kayak with the guide pins sheered off. If they are not a simple hack saw would make em fit. They are the nubs shown center top and bottom here on this bottom view of the spine.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
igotpron
Xcoastie

Looks like the old mirage classic kayak. Limited storage and a wet ride. But for the money you can't go wrong if you want a mirage drive kayak. The drive alone is worth what he's asking. I'd get it, then you'll be easily convinced you need another hobie.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
rnproductions300

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Looks like the old mirage classic kayak. Limited storage and a wet ride. But for the money you can't go wrong if you want a mirage drive kayak. The drive alone is worth what he's asking. I'd get it, then you'll be easily convinced you need another hobie.

Do you think I could find an older outback or revo in the 7-800 dollar range? Or is this my best bet?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnproductions300 View Post
Do you think I could find an older outback or revo in the 7-800 dollar range? Or is this my best bet?

Check the old for sale posts. But I want to say I've seen older revos and outbacks selling for 800-900. Might not come up super frequent, but if you post a wanted add with your budget you might get one sooner.

If you buy the one you posted you'd probably get stuck with it. It's not in high demand and it's old. But the mirage drive alone would be worth it.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 AM   #8
rnproductions300

Quote:
Check the old for sale posts. But I want to say I've seen older revos and outbacks selling for 800-900. Might not come up super frequent, but if you post a wanted add with your budget you might get one sooner.

If you buy the one you posted you'd probably get stuck with it. It's not in high demand and it's old. But the mirage drive alone would be worth it.

Ok will do thanks for the response

Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
Orca Winfrey

Quote:

You’re right about the older models being hard to sell. The CL post also caught my attention since I’m interested in getting a Revo. The seller has been slowly lowering his price over the past 20 days and still no bites.

What made me not interested in this particular yak is the lack of a tankwell and front hatch. It’s definitely not geared towards fishing.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote