Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Not a La Jolla Fishing report

or maybe this is a fishing report from La Jolla to keep the parking lot there?

Managed my first Legal Halibut on the yak, after managing my first Legal Sculpin on the yak yesterday but just before i landed my largest boaccio ever, what a day

Launched to 1 footers with a 15 second lull in between sets, Cake! Paddled south west from our launch point about 2 miles to the rock piles and tore it up, all 5 of us neared limits.. Now to the fun part, the largest of my rocks, including the sculpin and bocaccio where on a Pt. Wilson dart, we got to the spot and everyone was tossing double droppers with squid strips but i decided to mix it up and tossed the point wilson dart and was pulling up straight hogs! On the Bocaccio, a little over 3lbs he swallowed the trebble on the point wilson and trying to remove it i clipped the hook off

Screwing around from there i replaced that anchovy dart with a not so hot butterfly jig and managed a few dinks through out the rest of the day but the best part, about an hour before heading back we ran through a school of smaller sized macs (about 6-8 inches..) I had a 3 inch big hammer on my bottom dropper loop and squid strips on the top dropper loop (2/0 trokar circle hooks) After running through the bait ball, i had a mac hooked to the top dropper loop, thinking nice, perfect so nearing limits i said screw it, dropped that sucker down to the bottom(120 feet), stuck the pole in the Scotty and DWAM, 3 minutes later we landed a 11lb 28.5 incher! Yes, double dropper loop, top loop on a 2/0 circle hook for all the naysayers If it's any consolation i never though possible either, i figured it was another bat ray
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 03-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Mr hooks

Talking

Dam that's bad ass. I never really found the rock ply in LJ but I've tryed. I don't think Ive paddled far enough I know it's out there but I always get side tracked on the way out. Kinda my life story. any how that's what it takes to get em mix it up. Try new shit. I'll find that spot one day.
Mr hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
f'nsabiki

Wink

Stevie-Stevie-Stevie-- are you licking your 'but?? That is not good! j/k
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr hooks View Post
Dam that's bad ass. I never really found the rock ply in LJ but I've tryed. I don't think Ive paddled far enough I know it's out there but I always get side tracked on the way out. Kinda my life story. any how that's what it takes to get em mix it up. Try new shit. I'll find that spot one day.

Rocks are everywhere. Just fish where the lobster pots are, should be a good starting point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post

Managed my first Legal Halibut on the yak, after managing my first Legal Sculpin on the yak yesterday but just before i landed my largest boaccio ever, what a day

Launched to 1 footers with a 15 second lull in between sets, Cake! Paddled south west from our launch point about 2 miles to the rock piles and tore it up, all 5 of us neared limits.. Now to the fun part, the largest of my rocks, including the sculpin and bocaccio where on a Pt. Wilson dart, we got to the spot and everyone was tossing double droppers with squid strips but i decided to mix it up and tossed the point wilson dart and was pulling up straight hogs! On the Bocaccio, a little over 3lbs he swallowed the trebble on the point wilson and trying to remove it i clipped the hook off

Screwing around from there i replaced that anchovy dart with a not so hot butterfly jig and managed a few dinks through out the rest of the day but the best part, about an hour before heading back we ran through a school of smaller sized macs (about 6-8 inches..) I had a 3 inch big hammer on my bottom dropper loop and squid strips on the top dropper loop (2/0 trokar circle hooks) After running through the bait ball, i had a mac hooked to the top dropper loop, thinking nice, perfect so nearing limits i said screw it, dropped that sucker down to the bottom(120 feet), stuck the pole in the Scotty and DWAM, 3 minutes later we landed a 11lb 28.5 incher! Yes, double dropper loop, top loop on a 2/0 circle hook for all the naysayers If it's any consolation i never though possible either, i figured it was another bat ray
reminds me of Jorge in his early days

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
NICKWORN

That yellow stringer tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post

Cheeeeeeeee.
Attached Images

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
reminds me of Jorge in his early days
Sounds like someone's mad I don't have pool noodles stuffed in the hull of my kayak for added buoyancy

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

he has jokes like Jorge too!

i know how to settle this... someone give this man a beer

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-24-2017 at 12:58 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
King Saba

Tasty meals all around! Nice work!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
TJones

posting our secret spot ?

shame on you. congrats on first legal. is that me in the front on avatar pic? grey cammo, holding the biggest stringer. .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote