Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Dail14

Trout at Irvine lake

Does anyone here have much experience fishing for trout at Irvine Lake? This board does not put up much on freshwater so not much in this department in the forum history. I am looking to try it this year so any tips are appreciated. I am particularly curious about the brown and brook trout they have in there.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
forefrazier

I don't have a lot of experience there but something tells me you should try it...Soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwmvFQzUEzs
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've been there maybe a dozen times over the years, and always leave with fish. Last winter I went and I had some rainbows that I had to bend to fit in my cooler. I'm going to try kayak fishing there this winter, launching is free for yaks and float tubes. Fish cleaning stations were always busy. The only thing I can complain about is the short hours, especially the winter hours.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Troll, troll, and more trolling. Did I mention trolling. I have been waiting for this trout season especially since it will be my first by yak. I'm gonna fish a few tourneys up there. Prob like 4 or 5. I like to leave San Diego Friday night, camp the line, BBQ, toss back a few cold ones with fellow anglers and prepare for what might be. I'm looking to hook up with some fellow yakers. Intetested? If not, I can help you in your lure selection as well.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
PE.rider

Been to Irvine lake, Corona Lake, and Santa Ana River Lakes during trout season on the yak. Sometimes there is a 4 buck fee for launch.

Try to get there within a day or two of trout stocking. I've had good success trolling shad-colored Rapalas near Santiago Flats.

Sometimes it's good to expose the PE to something other than the briny deep.

Can you say Trout Almondine!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Raskal311

Yeah they stock pretty heavy, like 15,000 lbs for opening weekend and 5k twice a week. Come the day before a tournament and you'll find some fat ones. Even my wife limits out most of the time there.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

I usually fish Irvine a lot during the season, team sewer is good for at least a couple of camping trips to the Vine'. In fact I think were about due for one here soon....

Trolling can be productive at times....and other times it can be a lesson in futility...but generally if you work at it you can score limits almost every time. The rule at Irvine is to troll bright colors in the early hours or when the water is dirty...and switch to natural colors during the day and when it's clear. Standard lures are f5-f7, cd5-cd7, j5-j7 rapalas in firetiger or silver, gold, brown trout...etc. The last couple of years the pink mira shads have been really hot, but pretty expensive. A cheaper alternative is the lures from diawa...I forget the name...dr. minnow...and...something else....look it up, all in pink.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Troll, troll, and more trolling. Did I mention trolling. I have been waiting for this trout season especially since it will be my first by yak. I'm gonna fish a few tourneys up there. Prob like 4 or 5. I like to leave San Diego Friday night, camp the line, BBQ, toss back a few cold ones with fellow anglers and prepare for what might be. I'm looking to hook up with some fellow yakers. Intetested? If not, I can help you in your lure selection as well.
Yea I am definitely not a good enough trout fisherman to try any tournaments at the moment. Buy I figured I would troll around until I located fish by either hooking up on the troll or metering a school and then use power bait and or power worms on those.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Mice tails in white/bubblegum were a hot ticket last season
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
Yea I am definitely not a good enough trout fisherman to try any tournaments at the moment. Buy I figured I would troll around until I located fish by either hooking up on the troll or metering a school and then use power bait and or power worms on those.

Don't ever count yourself out. We had a tournament some time last year and I came in 2nd or 3rd or was it 4th........can't remember exactly. Anyway, the last time that I had fished freshwater prior to that day was when my daughter was about 4yrs old, she's graduating from college next year. If you have the right colors on the right day you can get limits.

Again, Team Sewer is planning a weekend at Irvine Lake shortly, maybe we'll open it up to everyone and make weekend tournament out of it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
All it takes is one. Someone has to win. Why not you? I've fished a few tourneys and I've sent 3lbs 9oz place.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Don't ever count yourself out. We had a tournament some time last year and I came in 2nd or 3rd or was it 4th........can't remember exactly. Anyway, the last time that I had fished freshwater prior to that day was when my daughter was about 4yrs old, she's graduating from college next year. If you have the right colors on the right day you can get limits.

Again, Team Sewer is planning a weekend at Irvine Lake shortly, maybe we'll open it up to everyone and make weekend tournament out of it.
I would def be interested if and when this happens if it's cool