Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
bosshoss

DIY Rectangle Hatch Upgrade

Well I finally did it, decided to replace the round hatch in my 2013 Outback. Bought the rectangle hatch , seal, and opted for the bucket version.

Removed the round hatch and used the backing plate from the new hatch as a template for cutting purposes.

Used a sharpie for the outline and a Jig saw for cutting the plastic. Cuts like butter..

A little sand paper to knock down the rough edges and it was ready to layout the holes for the lid and backing plate. Used the top of hatch to mark and drill out the holes for the screws.

One final look at everything and it was ready to install.
Lined up the backing plate, the gasket, and the lid and screwed them together.

Really make sure you have the placement correct before cutting and the rest is downhill from there.. Really a simple install....

Thanks to George and Andy for the tips, and pics on how to install. Really helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0401041605.jpg (50.0 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg 0401041752.jpg (45.3 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 0402041514.jpg (58.9 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 0402041517.jpg (52.5 KB, 466 views)
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
jorluivil

That looks good.

I don't know if you Did but I would suggest you goop the entire frame for some added protection

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
socal.beach.bum

That looks really good man.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
That looks good.

I don't know if you Did but I would suggest you goop the entire frame for some added protection
I didn't use Goop.. Will see how this plays out.. Can always add some later.
Thanks again....
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
momo fish

Nice! May do this as well given storage withdrawals I'm suffering going from a stealth 14 to outback.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

I did this a little while ago.

Night and day from the old round hatch.

I had to goop one little area where the bungee used to be...just a little.

You will love it.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
TJones

Looks good

How much is hatch ? Makes stuffing bass in hull easier . .seat looks good also . What model is it? And are you happy with it?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
bosshoss

[QUOTE=TJones;189432]How much is hatch ? Makes stuffing bass in hull easier . .seat looks good also .

The hatch and seal was $120.00 at Fastlane Sailing and Kayaking.. They are a Hobie dealer here in San Diego. Tried OEX but was told they didn't carry them.

The seat is a Seairsports Pacific Angler Kayak Seat and they run around $160.00..I bought this one used for $80.00. That's a steal !! The biggest thing I like about it, is the thickness of the seat...Great padding and the seat offers allot of support ..
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
inbx3

if you are interested in selling the old round container and hatch please let me know. I'm looking to buy one.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
TJones

Thanks for info

As usual hobie try's to nail your eggs to the wall . That's insane for a hatch , although it is a great up grade . The seat is well worth it . Stock seat is trash the first time it gets wet , and even upgrading with the air bladder it moves around too much .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
As usual hobie try's to nail your eggs to the wall . That's insane for a hatch , although it is a great up grade . The seat is well worth it . Stock seat is trash the first time it gets wet , and even upgrading with the air bladder it moves around too much .
Yeah that's pricey for sure....That's why I don't have the bucket for the front hatch....Too many $$$ for a piece of molded plastic. At least there was a little R & D in the design of the rectangle hatch....LOL

Hope to recoup some of my costs when I sell the original seat and round hatch.....
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
FISH11

If it's not important that it have a Hobie logo or be flat on top, instead of a raised center to the lid. The online store (Kayak Fishing Supplies)has them from COD (Crack of Dawn). they have two rectangular hatches, a really large one with six latches on the removable lid that is $79.95. The second is smaller but I think it's the size on this install. It has a singlt latch release on the center of the lid and is hinged on one end. The second hatch is $72.95. That is way less expensive. What else would you expect when you add the Hobie logo to anything (they don't make the hatch, just have them make it for them and the price it like everything Hobie)