Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
wade

"Searching"

Cheers BWE

Sideway - Aka Wade

Last edited by wade; 11-15-2010 at 08:38 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
TCS

Row your fisherman boat

All time - best of - Sideway video!

Cool!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
bentrod1

Well Done!

Wade, this post is tied with the Blue Whales in Redondo for my all time faves! Great vids and music!

Bret
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
wade

(Since the cat is out of the bag, or I should say, "the fish is out of the creel"..)

Some of you may remember a recent previous post of mine where I came to the strange conclusion about my trouble entering the forty pound club...I had released many 20#+ yellowtails, but never larger, until one special day..

For some crazy reason, I had made an all out personal ban on thirty class yellows in hopes of earning a forty pounder one day..
I was given the chance at a thirty class to release, also it being my Personal Best YT 30#er, .......
(probably a 32# YT while currently competing in the 2010 WCW...)
Well,... because of that release, my theory came to fruition sooner than expected and I almost skipped a class..
The twenty+ minutes of full bore energy he spent fighting me to the death must have exerted enough calorie burn to loose that .6#
(and the gaff shot wound ), or at least I am buying that line, all the way into the fifty pound club application I am submitting this week..
Cut me some slack Rick!!

I had to make up for lost time this month of November. The last two months, I've been super busy in the studio and I hadn't seen the light of day. The only way to score double points was to go to the bump spot and search for Homeguard points. I blew the fish whistle and called him in with it's special frequency..You have to keep your eyes and ears peeled at all times I've learned throughout the years..I hate how my live well trickling interferes with my serenity otw..I intermittently turn it on & off more for peace & quiet, than I do for the battery consumption..
I noticed in the far distance my buddy Kev go bendo 200+ yards away, he is quiet about it, but I gotta know what column he hooked up in. So i paddle a little closer and give a yell.."top, mid or bottom" Kev? BLEEP he announces, as I notice a Skiff go bendo 300 yards away! I can visually attest its a yellow, just by the rod tip thumping and the guys stance! I quickly try and position myself now in between the two now decked fish, and fire out my tried and true go to. The Sumo Jr, 4.4 ounces of perfectly baked scrambled egg finish, with a thick coat of glow just for extra measure. Sumo's heavy duty trebles did their job by making contact with all three points burried deep in the corner of his mouth.
This fish of a lifetime, was destined to be farmed from the get go..Upon hookset, I can see in the near distance 30-40 yards away a Hobie angler who also hoooked up & we were steadily approaching one another. I tried to turn my fish sans mirage drive, but it was no use. Before I knew it, our bows collided, and my spectra was starting to get twisted into his rudder..This is where I first kissed it goodbye, reminiscent of my good buddy Leo's hacksaw rudder job a few months ago to my forty + class WBS that quickly got replaced by two more thankfully..
Homeguard now decides to head toward the kelp in hopes the forest will offer some assistance.
He rips off 175 yards of my 65# spectra, and cleanly yanks out the 8 turn uni 2 uni connection of 150 yards of 40# Izor Mono.
Now I'm starting to see the metal of the spool, and i "think" smoke from buttoning down the drags with a thumb!!

I played rope-tug of war" once, with an angry 120# Rottweiller that gave me these identical violent head-shakes that practically ripped me out of my Prowler. On our way to the enchanted forest, out of his fish eye peripheral vision, he spots what I've dreaded from the start of my drift...
4 strategically placed Commercial Lobster traps, 50+ yards apart from one another adorned with their massive rope attached to a large buoy float to mark your nightmare at the surface. At the other end consider it an anchor. Get anywhere near it and your destined to break off.
I embraced this heartbreak and accepted it. I was enjoying the last few minutes of my sleigh ride as I approached the first buoy.
While watching my FF I tred to get a bearing on his depth, when I realized he was only 60' below me and was actually trying to circle the trap-line, I tried in desperation to horse him up. It was at this point that my barrel connection was put under the most stress, but the Double Palomar'ed spectra to Spro held, as did the 8 turn Uni to 30# Seaguar floro to the Sumo Jr Scramble Egg tied on with a regular Palomar. The traps line is to Port, with my bow pointing W-SW. I am fighting him on my Starboard side. For some reason I decide to twist the rod 90 degrees to my Starboard side and lightly back off the drags to give him some play in hopes he will go in the direction Im trying to turn him. Sure enough, he feels the slack and lets off a blistering run due West away from the encroaching trap line thinking this is his get away..Now all he just did, was put me into the middle of a pinball game with three more buoys to navigate through..
"No way in hell am i going to pull this off again", I'm thinking...But what the hell,..Like H.S.T. said: "Buy The Ticket, Take the Ride"..
Once out of the 2nd catastrophe, he locates the 2nd buoy when I put the hurt on again..We play "Ring around the Lobster-lines" again, only this time I can feel the spectra rubbing against the rope. My meat stick 50# rod was fully loaded as I pulled as hard as I could in a last ditch effort to save this November Submission. Miraculously, I turn his head around again and gain some ground.I back off the drags a tad, and let him go in hopes of the direction favoring my outcome of this brutal fight.
Same thing happened again for 2 more commercial buoys, blowing my mind every time I came out unscathed?
I gain some of my confidence back after passing the 4th buoy clear,..He is starting to succumb to the steady pressure ive put on him.
As I feel my own biceps develop that lactic acid whatever build up fatigue and begin to crap out , i know its a sure sign he is going to feel the same..No buoys in sight now, I rest the rod on my leg for a quick 20 second breather...I horse up the rod again one last time, and winch this sucker up..Massive thumping vibrations are felt the whole way and he still wants no part of it.
I start to see color and cant believe my freaking eyes?!!?..I almost wince as I swing the gaff and sink it in, knowing what a trophy I am about to remove.I cant thank you enough Crown Jewel for providing me with one of your Kings. I am eternally gratefully, as I know its all downhill from here! My conservation efforts will now have to be stepped up a notch..

Handcrafted, Handpaddled, HandCooked, Bottled & Bagged in San Diego, California USA .

Handcrafted, Handpaddled, HandCooked, Bottled & Bagged in San Diego, California USA .

Last edited by wade; 11-16-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
sdfisher

I am envious bro ..... and hungry! all the time you put on the water you deserve it!
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
wade

Here is what a 25#+ Class Kama looks like compared to that KING KAMA!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
wade

R.I.P. Dr. Seriola, you will be truly missed.....

Last edited by wade; 11-16-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
wade

Last edited by wade; 11-15-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

likin' the avatar hahaha
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
maui jim

Frigging sweet Wade!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Well done

Well done Wade! :notworthy :
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Wade, we have not yet met but it would be my pleasure one of these days.

I am not sure if you are an artist or an entertainer who knows how to fish or a fisherman who is really artistic. Either way, your stuff is always great. Thanks for the terrific videos.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
GBF

So very, very sweet!!!

GBF
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
old_rookie

Nice job Wade. Was wondering what happened to you.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
bellcon

"Whatcha don't find today you'll find tomorrow"

That is some epic kayakfishing Wade!

good times
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
steveooo

Mother F'er! Thats a f'n toad
I almost tried singing my own soundtrack, but it didn't come out the same

Congrats on the monsta, you have definately put in the time and effort .I can't think of a better guy to land a 49.4 lb+ fish

Congrats again Brotha!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
bigbarrels

nice! Congrats
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
JoeBeck

As always love the music. and that is a damn nice fish!
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
dfroggy54
Rolly

geeez! thats a fat one....good fishwade. Nice fork Kevin
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Wow! That is one fat yellowtail. Big congratulations. And, thank you for sharing your adventure!
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote