Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
flydigital

Lowrance HDS-5

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys. I've never spent more than $300 on a FF/GPS but my latest Cuda 350 just bit the dust and it's time for something better. I'm so far planning on the 83/200khz basemap model which I have found for approx $615 shipped. I'll be buying from West Marine with the 2yr extended plan and price match.

If anyone has any experience with this or similar setups I'd love to hear what you think, if you would choose different options, etc. Thanks in advance!
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Billy V

I have the HDS-5 Nautic Insight 200/50 htz.
It has an excellent picture and the unit is very sensitive.

It may take a little time to set it up correctly, but once it is dialed in you can see your iron, or hook at any given depth.

You will be able to see Fish too.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
deepdvr

Yeah, get the HDS-5X designed for saltwater with the 50/200KHZ transducer. Its $50 more than the narrower scanning freshwater version. This unit does not have GPS but its $200 cheaper.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
kayakhunter

HDS-5x

I have been doing some research as well on getting an HDS-5x, the only thing that concerns me is this

"You will need an additional HDS unit with an SD card slot connected via the Ethernet port to update the HDS-5x. Be sure to update the HDS with the SD card slot before updating the HDS-5x."

Im not sure if the updates are critical but still a pretty weak design for the customer.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
forefrazier

Take a look at the Elite-5:

http://www.lowrance.us/Products/Mari...ries/Elite-51/

I recently decided on this unit and it is great. Doesn't have the HD screen but the standard screen is better than most anyway. $250 bucks less and has most if not all of the features of the HD that you would use on a yak. One-handed head removal is great for quick storing during surf launch/landing. West Marine has them online or you can have your local store order one in for pick up.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys. I've never spent more than $300 on a FF/GPS but my latest Cuda 350 just bit the dust and it's time for something better. I'm so far planning on the 83/200khz basemap model which I have found for approx $615 shipped. I'll be buying from West Marine with the 2yr extended plan and price match.

If anyone has any experience with this or similar setups I'd love to hear what you think, if you would choose different options, etc. Thanks in advance!

My 12 volt 7 amp battery only lasted 6 hours. I upgraded to a 12 volt 12 amp battery. The longest it's been used so far is 10 hours with no problem. Just something else to think about.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Geoffkoop

Have you guys seen this new one coming out? What are your thoughts compared to the HD versions?

http://www.bassing.co.za/bassingforu...si-5x-dsi.html
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
DENNYh

I have the HDS-5 and its sweet.

Billy,
do you have the Navionics Map card??
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffkoop View Post
Have you guys seen this new one coming out? What are your thoughts compared to the HD versions?

http://www.bassing.co.za/bassingforu...si-5x-dsi.html

i seen this when i was shopping at lowrance website, i couldnt wait so i settled for a mark 5x pro, plus my price break was two bills. i thought the 455/800 kHz was for side scan but it's a bottom scanner. has good power but will it be any good for deep water with the high khz beam? nice FF between the hd models and mark x and comparable to the elites models in price. due out early next year $299

im ignorant when it comes to sonar
Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNYh View Post
I have the HDS-5 and its sweet.

Billy,
do you have the Navionics Map card??
No, I didn't buy any additional map cards. The Nautic Insight coastal and offshore maps that are built into this unit are remarkable. I've never seen a unit that comes with this much detail straight out of the box.

The unit does support the complete range of Navionics and I will probably try one to see if there is any benefit.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
flydigital

Thanks for all the tips... I got it today, chose the 50/200khz with the Nautic Insight. I even got to test it out for a couple hours with a temporary 'ducer install. This thing is nice! The sonar is going to take me some time to figure out, but already I saw defined arches for the first time. Like night and day from my old POS. Being able to tell the difference from bottom, rocks, weeds, structure, kelp and fish is quite nice. Before it was all the same.

The mapping is nice too, quite detailed and the shaded 3d effect looks great.

A couple questions for those in the know: Any recommendations for ping speed on the kayak? Also, with the 50khz sonar, I'm noticing its picking up things that the 200khz are not, and vice versa. At 60-70ft depth am I to assume the 50khz-only returns are outside the 200khz cone? And the 200khz-only returns are too weak for the 50khz to pick up? I know the depth is shallow for 50khz but trying to figure out how I might use this in split screen mode.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Check out this link Damian. Has a bunch of info including the answer to your question. Posted from another thread.
http://www.lowrance.com/Support/Tips...onar-Tutorial/
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
flydigital

Thanks Greg,

It explains the width of the 50khz being wider thus makes sense when I see objects on it vs. the 200khz.. they're out to the side of the useful 200khz cone. I'll play with the ping speed to see what works for me. Default seems too fast.

As to many strong targets showing on 200khz but not 50, I think I may be having trouble with the 50khz accuracy due to my shoot-through 'ducer. I'll be going through-hull when the Hobie warranty expires but until then I guess I'll go wet vs. goop and see if that helps. This 'ducer is big! Have to figure something out for a water container.

Got a handle on the rest of it! Thanks again...