Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Run the kayak thru a shredder and send it back to Hobie and have them melt it down, and put it back in the Roto Mold....
Problem solved.....

LOL
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
Billy V

A crack in that area of the drive well means the end of that kayak's life.

Its time for a new kayak.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
JOSER85

I still think it's worth a try to patch it up. If you can patch a plane/helicopter that is under thousands pounds of pressure I don't see why not patch a kayak.
You have nothing to lose. patch it up try it in the harbor if it works then your good to go. If it fails then the shredder it is.
At least if it fails your not falling from 30,000 feet

Which ever way you go good luck!
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #24
Billy V

I'll tell you straight away that I don't think you can make a successful repair to make the kayak seaworthy..... but if you are hell bent on trying and don't mind wasting some time - here are some reference materials that should help. Give it your best shot - you may not be falling 30,000 feet from the sky - but you can certainly sink 2000 ft. in La jolla.

Back in the day Hobie Adventures and Outback models had a weak area in the Drive Well. The same exact area you have your stress crack. If you had frequented BWE or any of the Hobie Forums you would have heard about the problem and would have received a Free Hobie Drive Well Reinforcement Kit which solved the problem nicely if it were installed prior to any stress crack development. You also would have received an additional (2) years of warranty on the hull - with proration after that.

I installed the kit and used my Adventure weekly in La Jolla for an additional 2 years without any incident - (its still working fine to this day)
-However if you got The Crack - the kayak was done.

So here what happens.
This is a pic of the unreinforced drivewell that was prone to cracking.

This is a pic of a factory reinforced drivewell that solved the problem.

This is a Hobie Drivewell Reinforcement Kit - a piece of Fiberglass that provided structural support to the weight bearing area. the front of the drivewell.

As with anything - preparation is key.
My reinforced drivewell.

This is some other guys kayak from the Hobie Forum His repair didn't go so good because he waited until the drive well had already cracked. Notice the support member that cracked in addition to the drive well area. He thought Goop would fix the problem.
-As Borat would say "Not Soo Good"

Last edited by Billy V; 07-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
cabojohn
PROBATION

The $750 prorated warranty is a bunch of shit since that is obviously a design flaw / manufacture defect. Hobie is aware of this.
If you are the original owner I would deal directly with Hobie and get a FREE replacement....I would not settle for anything less.

Like others said...your boat with the crack is now trash. I wouldn't even bother with a repair attempt. $.02

Please keep us updated.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #26
JOSER85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
The $750 prorated warranty is a bunch of shit since that is obviously a design flaw / manufacture defect. Hobie is aware of this.
If you are the original owner I would deal directly with Hobie and get a FREE replacement....I would not settle for anything less.

Like others said...your boat with the crack is now trash. I wouldn't even bother with a repair attempt. $.02

Please keep us updated.

Couldn't have said this any better! I 100% agree!
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #27
lbsurf2ca

CaboJohn I felt the same way, I did go stright to hobie at first but then they sent me to a dealer.

Im thinking of going stright to hobie again. This guy said he would help me out if hobie doesnt replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michael-Turko.jpg (11.8 KB, 270 views)
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #28
dorado50

No wonder I have a fear of flying!! ahrrr
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
Iceman
Administrator

I can tell you for certain that it can be welded, I have a rental Outback that I have repaired. Will it last forever..........I keep an eye on it.

Cabo, not many companies out there that will transfer warranty to the second party
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #30
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
No wonder I have a fear of flying!! ahrrr
lmao I'd rather drive on Firestone Tires.
---------------------------------
On a side note if Iceman Andy says he can fix it you should look no further. He certainly has more experience repairing kayaks than most people.

Bring him the kayak and let him make a repair before you butcher it up.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
h2ofishfo

na duct neverfails ive made a wallet outta duct tape however it always leaks money
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic1 View Post
Those pedal brackets take a huge load and will continue to open even if you goop it, 5200 it, or whatever , it. You cannot effectively melt it back in shape A local kayak store "fixed" a stress crack in an old hobie of mine, and then loaned the boat to an old guy I was fishing with. His ass sank not too far off scripps pier thank god. We recovered him and the boat but it aint a good place to be.

You really dont want to discover a much bigger problem when you are out on the water and find you are loading up on water. Ive done it, and its a really bad spot to be in.

Good luck.
Chris
Take it from Chris. He knows all to well.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #33
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Structural adhesive for poly

Here's some stuff I found while searching for different products I could use on my yak.

It's a structural adhesive, not a glue. Its made for poly, the stuff yaks are made of.

I have never used it so I can't tell you how well it will work but it does appear to be a viable solution to your problem.

Just make sure if you use it that you follow the directions!

Good luck. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=435&
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
lbsurf2ca

So looks like I am stuck. Here is the info hobie directly told me. I didn't know it was such an old yak. In my opinion I am split on hobie offering me a good deal and me getting screwed (only because it was such a known problem).I wish I would have researched the outback a little more before buying it. Lesson learned.

Hobie:

The offer we have made is us standing behind our product. Your kayak is way beyond its warranty period and has seven years of use. That seven years certainly has a value. Most hulls that are replaced are not as old as yours so the cost is closer to $300 usually, but they also pay about $150 in freight on top of that. OEX picks up their boats since they are close so there is no freight charge. The kayakers that you spoke of have not had a seven year old kayak replaced most likely so they wouldn’t know what to expect in this situation. There is a two year stated warranty on our kayaks, but we generally extend that a couple years for drivewell issues, and beyond that, the replacement is pro-rated. I take it you are a second hand owner since OEX is not the dealer who sold it originally, but since the boat never had a warranty registration submitted, I have no way of knowing for sure. If you would like to think it over for a bit or try to repair it you certainly can, although solid repairs in this area are very difficult and can be risky. Keep in mind, the replacement would be a 2011 hull and the Outback is almost a completely new boat since 2004.

1. 717 gets me a brand new 2011 hull only?
2. Sell it? and Buy new and get all new equipment?

!!!!!!!Either way im still going fishing tonight!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help and Ideas Fellas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg night3.jpg (48.2 KB, 206 views)
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
jorluivil

I would go to Hobie, if they do not replace it for free ask them to lower the price.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #36
Billy V

This is a No Brainer..............

Pay them the $717.00 and be done with it. Where the hell else are you going to find a New 2011 Outback Hull for that kind of cheap money ???

----------------------
You might want to scrap the "sell the old outback" idea. It would be bad juju to pass along a severely compromised kayak.

- Reputations.........Hard to earn - easy to loose.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
You might want to scrap the "sell the old outback" idea. It would be bad juju to pass along a severely compromised kayak.
Agree... it does not seem very ethical if the buyer was not made aware of the problem first.

Unless you issue a full disclosure on the issue, then it would be ok. Who knows, someone might still want to pick up the piece to practice their patching skills or verify their theories on stress cracks?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #38
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Run the kayak thru a shredder and send it back to Hobie and have them melt it down, and put it back in the Roto Mold....
Problem solved.....

X-2

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #39
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

If you're not inclined to drop the $717.00 go see Andy, and have him weld it up.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #40
dorado50

go get a job at the local market and buy the fing new one for gods sake. never new there could be so much debate(and drama) over a stupid kayak..gotta get out of here......help
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote