Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Has this ever happened to you?

Have you ever hooked up on a trophy WSB or YT in SoCal and then only landed a head?

I'm just kinda curious because this happens all the time with Macks (in Redondo Beach) or certain places in San Diego Bay... just wondering if the same thing happened with WSB or YT, since I'ver never caught either one of these.

This video is clearly a different scale, but I would imagine it to be far more "exciting" from a yak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvjYohS55w
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

I've never lost a WSB or YT from my Yak yet, but I have caught plenty from boats, and have not lost any of them this way but I have lost Calicos, and countless baits to the sea dogs and sharks. One of the tuna trips I went on a guy would of had the jackpot had the sharks not ripped his Yellowfin in half. I hope I don't ever have this happen but I'm sure some day it will.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

At least 19 out of 20 times your mack comes back with only a head, it's a seal, and you might not even feel much of a run, since they are quite good at it.
I've had the same thing happen with a seal on an estimated 10lb bonito, after a short tug-of-war.
I'm sure the big dogs can leave only a yellowtail head, if you're using heavy test line and you are in tug-of-war for quite some time. No doubt it's happened to someone. Yellowtail bone structure is pretty solid, though, so when it does happen it's probably happening with the smaller ones.
Aaron
Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Regor
Greg

On one of Sammons shows, he brings a fish almost up to the yak and next thing you know all he's holding is the head. Needless to say, he gets his feet out of the water real fast!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
pchen911

I've seen it happen on a 20 something lb yellowtail after a tug of war with a sea lion.

This was something like 5 years ago and the tug of war lasted a good 10 minutes with several other kayaks nearby slapping the water trying to scare away the dog.

Not my fish, but was right next to it.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Trap rig you baits and hold on tight.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Trap rig you baits and hold on tight.
Tried that... Those old dogs are pretty smart, they don't go after trap rigged baits. I guess its a good thing.. when the dogs are on me I drop down my halibut trap rig and start casting iron in their general direction. They usually move on to the next victim pretty quick and I have found new hali holes this way

I hear there were some WSB heads landed fairly recently in LJ thanks to Makos.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
T Bone

Yes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg older pix 507_(1600_x_1200).jpg (64.0 KB, 73 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Not in So Cal... but in NZ the problem is not catching per se... it is getting the damn kingfish (yt) to the boat safely... Jim Sammon's video is a great example... watch those fingers and toes when in NZ!!!

http://youtu.be/EpbNMk7Y3ic

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
fishsouthcounty

i was on an overnight outta SD when i was 14....catching bluefin and albacore. A few fish came in with pieces missing when suddenly one dude bringing in a fish has his line go pretty slack. As we see the head of his tuna approaching the boat we realize there is a make about 6-7 feet long. Before i knew it the captain is gaffing this freeswimming mako along iwth the help of two deckies and hours later we were enjoying mako steaks for dinner on the ride home.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote