Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Dunegoat

fish finder recommendation wanted

Hey guys,

I'm new and was wondering if anyone could give me any input on fish finders. I have absolutely no idea what kind to get. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Randy
Dunegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
bigbarrels

Lowrance HDS-5 base model with fish n chip......I'm still figuring mine out but it is pretty amazing

Last edited by bigbarrels; 06-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Lowrance HDS-5 base model with fish n chip......I'm still figuring mine out but it is pretty amazing
Yeah this is the ultimate if you want to spend the $$$, you're looking at about a cool grand all said and done.

If you're not ready for that big of a leap, might I suggest:

Cuda 350/smap: Decent fishfinder for black and white, decent screen, good GPS capability, about $200.

Lowrance m68c/smap: Probably your best bang for the buck getting into color. Basically same thing as Cuda 350 but with color. About $300.

Lowrance Elite 5: One step under the HDS-5, about $550. If you are going all the way up to this level you should really consider the HDS-5 for a little more.

These are all GPS/FF combo units. If you want FF only you will save $100-$300 depending on the model.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
Yeah this is the ultimate if you want to spend the $$$, you're looking at about a cool grand all said and done.

If you're not ready for that big of a leap, might I suggest:

Cuda 350/smap: Decent fishfinder for black and white, decent screen, good GPS capability, about $200.

Lowrance m68c/smap: Probably your best bang for the buck getting into color. Basically same thing as Cuda 350 but with color. About $300.

Lowrance Elite 5: One step under the HDS-5, about $550. If you are going all the way up to this level you should really consider the HDS-5 for a little more.

These are all GPS/FF combo units. If you want FF only you will save $100-$300 depending on the model.
Thanks. I googled the HDS-5 and well, it wasn't exactly what I was looking to spend. Of course everybody wants top of the line equipment, but not everyone (myself included) can afford or really needs top of the line equipment. I'm going to look into the options you posted. Thank you for your response.

Randy
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
da22y

HB 597ci HD DI

I got HB 597ci HD DI Combo recently.
Happy with it so far, enjoyed the X-ray like down image when I switch from normal scan.

On board GPS is so good, I don't use my handheld gps anymore.
Plan to add the fishNchip this week.

On rare occasion , my HB will meter only 20+feet instead of 100+feet of actual depth , but after a while it will adjust back again.

Don't know if this is normal on other make/model....?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hummi...h-All+Products
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
I got HB 597ci HD DI Combo recently.
Happy with it so far, enjoyed the X-ray like down image when I switch from normal scan.

On board GPS is so good, I don't use my handheld gps anymore.
Plan to add the fishNchip this week.

On rare occasion , my HB will meter only 20+feet instead of 100+feet of actual depth , but after a while it will adjust back again.

Don't know if this is normal on other make/model....?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hummi...h-All+Products
It's probably a super noobish question, but what is the "fishNchip" you referred to in your post?

Thank you,

Randy
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
da22y

FishNChip

Since I do not have it yet, I am not qualified to explain how good it actually is.
Someone may like to shed some light here.

This is the website:
http://www.navionics.com/MarineFeatures_FishNChip.asp
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

If you do not need the GPS then the Hummingbird 597c HD is a great unit.

640 x 640 color resolution, best you can get.

500 watts. This is what really counts. (Don't look at the Peak to Peak watts) look at the second number.

Waterproof

$399 at Cabellas, free shipping.

My .02

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
If you do not need the GPS then the Hummingbird 597c HD is a great unit.

640 x 640 color resolution, best you can get.

500 watts. This is what really counts. (Don't look at the Peak to Peak watts) look at the second number.

Waterproof

$399 at Cabellas, free shipping.

My .02

Matt
I tried to find that one on Cabella's site but I could only find the combo version with the GPS for $100 more. Is there any way you could post a link to that deal you're talking about?

Thank you,

Randy
Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
tagyak

hummingbird

i also have purchased the hb 597c hd di from this site: http://www.anchorexpress.com/Color-L...nders-s/99.htm it was the cheapest that i could find on the internet under $600. it also has the one that matt bought, but not as good of a price that he got, but close.
if you look at the cabela's site, look in the bargain section. it may still be there. or try the search feature it may come up.

if you don't want to spend or need these options then i would suggest the lowrance m68c. it is nice and adequate for fishing needs. i started off with the x67c model last year (if i had known about the m68c i would have gotten that one,) but decided that i needed something more or was it just size envy????
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Don't gO for the black and white version that's the One I have I can't tell the difference between thE grey kelp the blAck smudge and the black arrows.

That's what I get for being cheapP
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
evilkhemist

I have the hb 586c HD version with the Thrull Hull transducer mounted on my Outback. The quality is way better than the lowrance black and white I had before. Now I swear I can see the giving me the salute when they go underneath me.
I was able to pick up mine off of fleabay for $230 shipped, it was a demo model. They usually are run $325ish.
evilkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
reefer

go to your local Walmart. They now carry Fishfinder. under $100.
you are using them on a kayak that might flip over on you, so why spend lots of money. they work great. they are hummingbird brand.
good luck
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
reefer

Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
reefer

this one is attach to a rod/clamp......if you plan to hang it on the side.... i saw this at the Santee Walmart.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

BY far the best ff you can possible get is the eagle cuda 242, they stoPped making them because they didn't make enough money on them but you are in luck...... I am gonna give this sport up. After reading the darkhorses post and knowing I will never have that type skill. I figure what the hell it's jus not worth it. What this means to you is you will benefit from my kindness and let you buy mine for the low prices of $225.00 just pm me and we can set up the exchange.
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtobolsky View Post
BY far the best ff you can possible get is the eagle cuda 242, they stoPped making them because they didn't make enough money on them but you are in luck...... I am gonna give this sport up. After reading the darkhorses post and knowing I will never have that type skill. I figure what the hell it's jus not worth it. What this means to you is you will benefit from my kindness and let you buy mine for the low prices of $225.00 just pm me and we can set up the exchange.
Thanks for your mail .i am ok with you and Thanks for the quick response,so am okay with the price and their no need of taken a look of the pix again. becuase am far away from US so dont worry about the shipment i have a shipping agent that carter for my pick ups anywhere in the world.I will instruct my client to send you a cashier's check of US $4,000 so what you have to do immediately the check gets to you just deduct the funds for the item and send the excess amount to my shipping agent so that they can be able to pick up the item from you destination. I want you to forward me with your full name,address and cell phone number. Expecting your response back
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
GregAndrew

Here is La Jolla on a standard chart page.

Here it is on steroids (Fish N Chip)
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Dunegoat

that's a big difference but I don't know what I'm looking at there. I don't know how to read those yet. Looks like I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Here is La Jolla on a standard chart page.

Here it is on steroids (Fish N Chip)

Wow ! Big difference !
Thanks for sharing.

My GPS now is the same as picture #1 : Nothing but the coastline and my waypoint .