Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahouna View Post
Good point A&J. Who would a person notify? I wondered about it bit figured he is ever present in his waters, we just borrow the area for enjoyment.
Notify here:
http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co...shark_news.htm
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
lamb

Wow, awesome experience for you and your daughter. How cool that the little one didn't panic! Thanks for the report.

From all the kayak/GWS encounter stories I've read, it seems like it all goes without troubles as you see them first. Seems like if they are in "hunt exploration" mode, they don't announce their presence.

You are incredibly lucky, very few people get to see GWS at LJ, even the guys that spend a ton of time OTW. If it happened recently, it would probably be good idea to notify lifeguards, so they're aware. Local GWS sightings always generate a buzz - last time in February someone saw 5 ft great white, and it was all over the news.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
tagyak

that was a very suspenseful story. glad to hear that you and your daughter had a good time and experiences like this makes lasting memories.
who knows perhaps she may be inspired to pursue marine biology because of it?????
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
kurtfish

Very quite on the Western Front

A group of us launched at 3am today with no GWS sightings and plenty of seals milling around all over. A couple of squitrs and a WSB for me but no GWS reported. The Shark could be up at Catilina by now or anywhere else. I don't think it is necessary to report the sighting to the media then it will be more difficult to get my son back out there with me.

Stone has committed to donate a keg for the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tourney for our 7/31 11am-2pm BBQ. We are still working on Ballast Point as well so we can have a bit of variety of suds to help with the silent auction bidding.

Look forward to seeing you at the end of July, Kurtfish

Last edited by kurtfish; 06-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
wade

i launched @ 3am today, and was in our little group on the way out this morning...I thought we were all still right next to one another, when i was rear ended full speed from what i thought @ the time was my buddy Andrew. I almost lost both my rods and some gear thrown completly out of my yak from the harsh impact. I flipped on my headlamp instantly, to see which buddy just rammed me?...but when i got a audible response from my friends, their voice was clearly over 50 yards away...

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
cajunman

San Diego lifeguard # 619.221.8824, i keep it in my cell in case i need to call on the water

cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
cajunman

Also, DFG if you want to call them to report violators 858.467.4201
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Aaron&Julie

Thanks, Wade, for making my point. I'll tell you, that sounds scary enough, being bumped in the dark not knowing "what the hell".

I don't know how over-panic would be a problem. Better safe and knowledgeable, than ignorant and bait.

It's not like it's going to be a scene from "Jaws", that just because the media reports it, there's going to be 200 boats on the water, with guns and fishing rods trying to catch it/kill it. In fact, it wouldn't make any difference to kayakers fishing out there.

What if that GWS that swam under Kahouna's yak flipped him and his daughter into the water?

Can you imagine the fear of having such a predator in the water next to you, while you have to not only flip your kayak, but get your daughter (obviously first) back on board, then yourself. That would be about the biggest 2-4 minutes of terror I could imagine.

True, there's GWSs that show up occasionally at LJ, and odds are they won't be a problem to us-kayakers. Then, it only takes that one time, really. Plus, there's the free-divers, swimmers, etc to consider.

Who cares if it is over-hyped? It won't change things for our fishing conditions.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman View Post
Also, DFG if you want to call them to report violators 858.467.4201
Good idea, Cajunman. Thanks for those numbers.
I'm loading both phone #'s on my cell phone after this post. Not just for GWS showings either.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #30
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
i launched @ 3am today, and was in our little group on the way out this morning...I thought we were all still right next to one another, when i was rear ended full speed from what i thought @ the time was my buddy Andrew. I almost lost both my rods and some gear thrown completly out of my yak from the harsh impact. I flipped on my headlamp instantly, to see which buddy just rammed me?...but when i got a audible response from my friends, their voice was clearly over 50 yards away...
damn.... so did you keep fishing or what? Any tooth rash on your stern??? Knowing you, you probably rigged up a 10/O hook and threw out a 30lb YT as bait and tried to CPR it.

Seriously, that's some crazy chit...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #31
MattRabasco

Wow! - might not go out in the early morning for a bit. A few years ago when I was paddling from the pier across the canyon before grey light, something large came up and grabbed my bait tube and pulled my kayak almost to a stop. What the would attack a bait tube??? Scared the @$#*(@^ out of me. I looked back but saw only my wake. Heads up!
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #32
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRabasco View Post
Wow! - might not go out in the early morning for a bit. A few years ago when I was paddling from the pier across the canyon before grey light, something large came up and grabbed my bait tube and pulled my kayak almost to a stop. What the would attack a bait tube??? Scared the @$#*(@^ out of me. I looked back but saw only my wake. Heads up!
Someone released the Kraken!

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #33
driftwood

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to ask. Kahouna, How sure are you it was a GW?
I've seen 8-10ft 7Gill next to me while fishing. Did the shark have pointy head or more of of square head? Did it have long tail fin?

But, i would not be surprised if it was a GW you saw. Everyone knows Geat Whites are in La Jolla
All the time.

Last edited by driftwood; 06-15-2011 at 06:12 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
Aaron&Julie

Can someone remind me what is the emergency channel on those handheld Cobra radios? I think it's 19, but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Not GWS related (I hope), I would just like to know.
Aaron
Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #35
chris138
donkey roper

Great... now the spearos are going to go on a shark hunt and drag the poor fellow up on the CP beach so all the seals can take a sniff and the news can come. And the seal lady will be pissed!!

Too bad there's all these sharks while the vis is 50 ft and there's giant schools of 40lb seabass swimming everywhere...
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
Rock Hopper

Wow, thanks for the report!

And there I was the day before last year's Steve Moyer Memorial Tourney bleeding out my YT thinking, "Man, I'd never do this up North. Good thing I'm in SD!".
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
herefishyfishy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
This brings up a very interesting question. As Aaron&Julie mentioned, it would be very useful for those planning on being in or on the water to know that a big shark had been spotted in the area. On the other hand, as we saw with the 7 gill biting the diver last week, this kind of report can quickly become overblown and create a panic.

Bob
I am both a freediver and kayak fisherman and would prefer to not let the media in on sightings. Since I know the details of the absolutely ridiculous 7-gill fiasco, things DO get blown WAAAYYY out of proportion. I've been in the water in LJ 6 times in the last week and seen several sharks over 7 feet (and literally 100's of WSB ). This morning I had 2 of the biggest 7-gills I have EVER seen swim right over the top of me while I was laying on the bottom between kelp stringers. Very very cool to see. They are thick because of the WSB.

GWS are ALWAYS right off the coast, so why make a big stink about it? Swimmers know they are always there, divers know they are always there, kayak fisherman know they are always there. I could see letting research types know for research sake, but please don't call KFMB. They can put any spin they want on it and so will the enviros.

These are just my opinions, not that they are worth anything .

Evan
Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
herefishyfishy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Great... now the spearos are going to go on a shark hunt and drag the poor fellow up on the CP beach so all the seals can take a sniff and the news can come. And the seal lady will be pissed!!

Too bad there's all these sharks while the vis is 50 ft and there's giant schools of 40lb seabass swimming everywhere...
It was already done this past weekend...and yes the seal lady was pissed (and drunk as usual).
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #39
dorado50

there's giant schools of 40lb seabass swimming everywhere... [/QUOTE]

more like 50#ers!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
Billy V

We saw another shark in Lj today.

- An 8 ft mako hit a minty green 7X on the retrieve. It rolled on the jig about 10 ft off the transom of the boat. It stuck for a brief moment, than shook the jig loose.