Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
flydigital

Mirage drive reliability, Pro angler paddling?

Hey all,

I just wanted to get some opinions from other Hobie owners who use the heck out of their Mirage drive like me...

I've had my Revo almost 2 years now, and the pedals have failed 2 times on me now. Due to broken cables. About $75 in replaced parts (drive warrantied for 1 year, all my trouble happened after it expired).

Anyway, fortunately each time I had a failure I wasn't too far from home and the paddle was easy, but this is in a Revo. In a pro angler (which I am considering) I would be really screwed to have to single-hand-paddle 5 miles back in 20 knot winds... I don't even think it is possible.

What do you guys suggest for safety factor here in the Pro Angler? Carry another complete drive in the hatch just in case? Is there a way to use a normal paddle with the Pro Angler or is it just too wide? Any other ideas?

I am thinking that for me having a set of new cable assemblies stowed away, and the wrench to install them would be a good compromise, but is there anything else that tends to break? It's about $125 for all the cables/chain assemblies I think. Not a bad insurance policy I guess. Thoughts?
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
blitzburgh

I use the standard padlle that Hobie provides with the P.A.. No problems yet. I've had mine since March of 2010 and I have'nt (knock on wood) had any problems thus far, with fairly consistent use. The only times I use the paddle though is launching/landing and to cruise over kelp. Hope this helps.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

DSCN0066r_hr.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I have heard a stand up paddle works really well, I sell an inexpensive one for $60, cut to length.

I would invest in a single chain and idler cable and a wrench, cost is $55.50, I would even consider Vessel Assist, AAA for your PA for around $10 per month. Although you made need a CF # to use this.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote