Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Corey

Turn in your WSB heads to Hubbs.

Stopped in at Hubbs this afternoon to drop off a couple wsb heads from the freezer & learned that they have only received 2 hook & line caught wsb heads so far this year. Now I know there have been well more than that caught, so that means people aren't turning in heads. Hopefully you've got 'em in the freezer & just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Just a reminder - Turn in your WSB heads! Hubbs uses the data they get from the heads even if it is not a tagged fish. ...And they will cut the stones out for you while you wait.

HSWRI
2595 Ingraham Street
San Diego, CA 92109
619-226-3870

Hubbs is also having their first annual WSB tournament this year. The proceeds go toward maintaining & expanding the WSB growout & stocking programs. They have included a kayak division. Click the link for details:

http://www.hswri.org/files/pressRele...final84597.pdf
Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Or if you are in a hurry, or proactive you can submit the following info with the head.

your name

address (if you ask 4 stones)

kayak angler

email

date caught

bait used

general location caught

length/width optional

not that I have had any reason to turn in anything...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Corey

Yeah, if you can't make it by when they are open, include the info Chris listed on a piece of paper in a trash bag with the head and leave it outside. They will be happy to find it the next day.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Jax Yak
Junior

Anybody from orange county area can turn them in at Hogans Bait &Tackle in Dana Point. They keep them in their freezer and get them to Hubbs. Just make sure you fill out a card with info.
Jax Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Jax Yak
Junior

Anybody from orange county area can turn them in at Hogans Bait &Tackle in Dana Point. They keep them in their freezer and get them to Hubbs. Just make sure you fill out a card with info.
Jack
Jax Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
SanDogSWO
Junior

Please forgive my ignorance as a newbie. I just joined the forum as I've started my research on a first fishing kayak. What are stones in a WSB? I take it these are some sort of trophy, kind of like elk ivory, but what exactly are they?
SanDogSWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
rastrev

Quote:
they have only received 2 hook & line caught wsb heads so far this year.
I know who turned in one of the other two Corey...

But Seriously, this is a good post, If we want to continue to enjoy these valuable natural resources, its important to support organizations like Hubbs. I felt guilty enough for removing one prespawn female from the gene pool this spring, I couldn't imagine not being responsible enough to turn in the head. If we as anglers can't do our part to help maintain our oceans, then the government will try to do it for us; thus the MLPA...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDogSWO View Post
Please forgive my ignorance as a newbie. I just joined the forum as I've started my research on a first fishing kayak. What are stones in a WSB? I take it these are some sort of trophy, kind of like elk ivory, but what exactly are they?
The "stones" are actually ooliths, which are calciferous growths in the head of the seabass. Many anglers collect them as a keepsake of their catch:

Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Corey

Bump. Don't forget the work Hubb's has been doing to help restore this fishery. Help them out & turn in your wsb heads. They want heads from any wsb caught from Pt Conception to Baja Sur. If you need a dropoff location outside of San Diego, call 619-226-3870 for info.