Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
lbsurf2ca

La Jolla Trash

Not sure how many of you noticed but the Trash situation out on the grounds was ridiculous yesterday. Everything from home depot buckets to balloons.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
FISH11

It was bad on Wednesday, I didn't see as much on Monday. Some is provably due to boaters, but I think most is stuff that got blown out by winds or taken out of the beach trash cans by sea gulls.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Salty

Probably a lot of runoff from the recent rains drifting around too? I have a habit of picking up as much trash as I can when I see it on the water and the beach. I hate seeing it. Even offshore hunting for tuna, we'll steer the boat well out of the way to pick up any floating balloons I spot when looking for birds. I'll take any karma points I can get out there!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
TJones

in shore

probably the most trash / debris I have seen on the water. If this continues or becomes the norm, then I will surely start bringing a trash bag to collect. I saw clear plastic bags that I almost mistook for jelly fish because algae was collecting on them. Saw the normal balloons, Doritos bag, magic marker, and other miscellaneous debris floating around. By the way, this is not a fish report. . Just testing the waters and trying to get some JU-JU on my new ride. See you guys on the water soon. .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:09 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

One of the good things about fishing from a kayak is -- we are so low to the water. It makes it easy to do the good deed of removing whatever trash floats by to bring to the shoreside dumpster. It can be stowed out of the way in the front hatch until back on the beach.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
Salty

I usually stow whatever I grab under my seat. If it fits that is. I've pulled some pretty interesting debris from the ocean already in my short time fishing from a kayak. From a downed weather balloon to abandoned commercial lobster traps to a dive bag with a knife still in it... Is there a thread here somewhere showcasing some of the weird stuff you guys have pulled out of the ocean? I'd be curious to see what unexpected things you've all found. Did a search but didn't find anything. If not, maybe we need to start a thread!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote