Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
GregAndrew

Big WSB from bottom to top (VIDEO)

https://rumble.com/vcztc5-white-seab...om-to-top.html
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
blitzburgh

What a biscuit! Dope vid!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
theluckypig

A fish’s worst nightmare... gregandrew...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Love this video, a good tune, and the UW clip is awesome! Let alone the quality of the catch! Interesting how the first WSB spit it out and wonder if the competition with the Calico helped the second one commit. Would like to see how you have your UW camera stabilized to take such clear shots. I imagine we would all have more persistence in our fishing if we could see how many times a trophy fish swam up and checked out our baits. Well done, Congratulations!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
FISH11

Congrats Greg, that's a Super Biscuit. Great underwater video.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
DanaPT

Made to look easy.

Amazing job.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Agree with the above. The underwater footage was really interesting. I too wonder if that calico following it enticed the second fish to take it. A little instinctual FOMO.

As others asked, I too and curious as to how you mount the camera and keep it from spinning.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
lbsurf2ca

Rad video Greg. Lots of good information to learn from that video.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #9
LEEZO

I remember being on an Islander trip with you to San Clemente several years ago. you won the jackpot with one of those beasties. keep em coming sir very nice!
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Here is my downrigger. The leash from the fin of the downrigger ball to the release clip is coiled up because it is about 5' long. Inside the jaws of the release clip (yellow) you see the clip i use to clip onto my fishing line. If a fish pulls hard enough, the clip will release from the jaws and my fishing rod will be disconnected from the downrigger assembly.

The reason my camera stays pointed toward my bait is that my fishing sinker and bait cause drag which transfers through the release clip and leader, to the back of my downrigger ball. Also the basic design of the finned downrigger ball helps to keep it running in the direction of travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210119_161804.jpg (48.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEZO View Post
I remember being on an Islander trip with you to San Clemente several years ago. you won the jackpot with one of those beasties. keep em coming sir very nice!
Yep, that was a very cool trip. Not only the WSB, but the Halibut I caught was the largest male I have ever caught or heard of at 27lbs. Got the trifecta with a tiny YT that I released lol. I have a video of that trip on my YouTube page.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
FullFlavorPike

a fine demonstration of lighter tackle fishing -- I love it!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #13
Oolie
Headshots Only

Demonstrating yet again that even larger grade (congrats on that one) WSB are easily played and landed on the freshwater designed gear.

There's a place for heavy gear, but it's not open water.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Demonstrating yet again that even larger grade (congrats on that one) WSB are easily played and landed on the freshwater designed gear.

There's a place for heavy gear, but it's not open water.
+1 .... WSB are notorious for heading out to sea to die of exhaustion, what's more commendable are the amount of Yellowtails that GregAndrew has taken on baitcasting outfits.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Here is my downrigger. The leash from the fin of the downrigger ball to the release clip is coiled up because it is about 5' long. Inside the jaws of the release clip (yellow) you see the clip i use to clip onto my fishing line. If a fish pulls hard enough, the clip will release from the jaws and my fishing rod will be disconnected from the downrigger assembly.

The reason my camera stays pointed toward my bait is that my fishing sinker and bait cause drag which transfers through the release clip and leader, to the back of my downrigger ball. Also the basic design of the finned downrigger ball helps to keep it running in the direction of travel.
Sweet. I am surprised that you still have the wire DR line. Swapped mine out for braid to get rid of the humming sound, but after seeing a few of your videos, does not seem like the humming deters the fish at all?

With just a 4lb weight, and the camera mounted on the fin, that is a lot of drag........you must troll super slow? It looks faster in the videos? I am guessing you must be going under 1/2knot for speed to keep everything relatively vertical.

So the purpose of the snap swivel connected in the yellow DR clip is to allow the fish to pull out more line before the weight is released? Otherwise, seems like it would be easier just to attach the line directly to the DR clip.

Looks like you use a 1-6oz sinker about 3-6ft away from your bait? I am surprised at how the fish don't seem to mind the proximity of the sinker. In my heavily fished area off Florida, the "secret" to catching non-migratory fish is to keep the sinker out of sight. For grouper and snapper that means 40ft+ leader. I usually have a 75ft leader on my DR bait and trolling under 1 knot results in triggerfish destroyed baits and missed strikes. I opted for a Blacks DR clip because it resulted in fewer tangles. Kudos for running that rig without getting it all tangled up. Your videos are very inspirational. I am motivated to try your rig out. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Sweet. I am surprised that you still have the wire DR line. Swapped mine out for braid to get rid of the humming sound, but after seeing a few of your videos, does not seem like the humming deters the fish at all?

With just a 4lb weight, and the camera mounted on the fin, that is a lot of drag........you must troll super slow? It looks faster in the videos? I am guessing you must be going under 1/2knot for speed to keep everything relatively vertical.

So the purpose of the snap swivel connected in the yellow DR clip is to allow the fish to pull out more line before the weight is released? Otherwise, seems like it would be easier just to attach the line directly to the DR clip.

Looks like you use a 1-6oz sinker about 3-6ft away from your bait? I am surprised at how the fish don't seem to mind the proximity of the sinker. In my heavily fished area off Florida, the "secret" to catching non-migratory fish is to keep the sinker out of sight. For grouper and snapper that means 40ft+ leader. I usually have a 75ft leader on my DR bait and trolling under 1 knot results in triggerfish destroyed baits and missed strikes. I opted for a Blacks DR clip because it resulted in fewer tangles. Kudos for running that rig without getting it all tangled up. Your videos are very inspirational. I am motivated to try your rig out. Thanks.
Before even trying the wire, I replaced it with braid. The wire it comes with only is about 80' long. The hum is coming from the stretched braid vibrating, which the wire would probably not be as prone to? Unlike what most people might think, sound does not seem to be a big factor to fish. Because it travels faster and further under water, they are bombarded with it almost always.

Generally I like to keep between .7 and 1 mph, which would be more of a drift than a troll. Enough to keep my bait moving, cover ground and keep the setup from getting vertical and spinning. Direction and speed of the current relative to my direction will sometimes change things up a bit.

I was getting too many false releases from the line run directly through the release clip. Each false release means cranking it all back up and resetting.

I am running an 8oz sinker almost always. It has to provide enough drag to keep my large baits from swimming around my camera rig. Ideally I would fish longer sinker leaders, but conditions dont allow for that very often. Between the bottom structure and the lack of average visibility, my hands are kinda tied. I could raise it up, but then reviewing the video seeing only the bait for hours on end would be tough to swallow.

You also hit upon the other reason I use the clip (see pic, plastic removed) in the release clip. I can drop my bait down first and lower my camera to it. I don't have to lower them both at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210121_174553[1].jpg (42.4 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
Chuck D

Sweet

Nice ghost Greg, epic footage as usual!!!!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
SoCalEDC

Cool, thanks for sharing the rig. These videos are super informative
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #19
sanomick

Thanks for sharing. Great video work - nice WSB!!!
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #20
the dude

great video, what is your youtube channel?