Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
lbsurf2ca

Return to the Yak

I've been out of the Kayak Game for quite some time but recently jumped back in for the Love of the winter hunt. There's something about wintertime Yellows that allows me to ignore the cold mornings.

After doing a bit of research on youtube/bloody decks/BWE I decided a few weeks ago I'd start chasing yellows again. After dusting off the kayak and fixing all the ignored equipment it was off to LJ on Sunday. Arrived at the launch about 5:30 only to Find a full-on King Tide with 4ft windswell right on the launch. The pics don't do it justice but those who were there in the morning know what I am talking about. Decided to let the tide fill in all the way before launching and glad I did. Things calmed down significantly about 7 am. Off I went to the normal bait grounds which proved difficult to make. Grabbed a few pieces saw some familiar faces out fishing and ended the day with a few by-catches and one missed opportunity at the target species. Had one go on the 6x blue and white far NW corner. Lots of life in the later afternoon.

Good times. Glad to get back out there with the Plastic Navy!
Attached Images

Last edited by lbsurf2ca; 12-14-2020 at 03:04 PM.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
FISH11

Congrats on getting back out to LJ. The large swells and wind has made it difficult to plan on a good day. The forecast sometimes has change, even on the day prior. I'm hoping for a more stable weather forecast so as not to go out on the next day after the storms have messed up the water conditions or getting a cold up-swell. The large swells sometimes aren't as bad as the short intervals, that makes it really challenging. Tight Lines.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Yeah, the launch was pretty interesting at 5:30ish. Swells literally right on top of each other, and swells coming in at 45 degrees from the South? It calmed down pretty nicely through the day though. Made some good bait out deep in front of the pier, out around the buoys. Missed my only good Halibut bite for the day.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
Gflann

I saw similar conditions today....instead I paddled out before the tide filled everything in and I regret that. The ride out to the fishing grounds was pretty miserable with the WNW AND W short interval swells. Anyway...Welcome back!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Salty

Don't know if that was you or someone else here that my buddy and I were chatting with when we pulled up and were checking out the conditions (we had the 2 green Outbacks on the Chevy Colorado). Conditions were definitely gnarly. Never a good sign when people are surfing 100 yards from the end of the street... We loaded up and went for it anyway and I almost got caught by a cleanup set. Got it on the gopro. I'll post the video soon. Welcome back to the yak btw!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Don't know if that was you or someone else here that my buddy and I were chatting with when we pulled up and were checking out the conditions (we had the 2 green Outbacks on the Chevy Colorado). Conditions were definitely gnarly. Never a good sign when people are surfing 100 yards from the end of the street... We loaded up and went for it anyway and I almost got caught by a cleanup set. Got it on the gopro. I'll post the video soon. Welcome back to the yak btw!
Yeah that was me. Glad you guys went for it. Sounds like Greg was a cowboy and did it in the Dark. Good fishing with you all out there and glad to get back on the Kayak.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
erinoo

Good to see you back ole neighbor.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
skrilla

That was my buddy and his friend surfing the launch LOL. Sunday launch was fun. Wave height was 4ft but faces were half that. Timing the sets were easy peezy. Made it out dry from the waist up. Only saw one other guy ( Greg? ) North of me on my way to the AO.

Anyone recognize this guy?
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Good to see you back ole neighbor.
Haha good to see you're still on here. Saw our other neighbors Arima Sea Chaser go up for sale...Wanted to pull the trigger on that so bad.

Hope to see you out there ole friend.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Welcome back to the plastic navy!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
surfshotmoto

Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
lbsurf2ca

I was able to connect this time after sticking to the game plan. SW wind was a pain in the ass and bait was not cooperating. Decided to quit messing around trying to catch bait and went out to a few spots I like to key in on. Found some interesting-looking marks and dropped the 6x down with an instant bend in 220 feet of water. Almost forgot how fun these things fight from the Yak. We are truly blessed to have these fish off our coast.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
LEEZO

way to come back strong. Nice yellow!
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #14
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEZO View Post
way to come back strong. Nice yellow!
Thanks. Definitely feels like lots to relearn.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
FISH11

Congrats on the nice Yellowtail. Went out today and it was not at all like on Monday. At least today I made a few Spanish macs, but never used them. Today there was no bird action and searching all areas shallow and deep didn't produce any great marks on the FF. Even the deep water 200'-300' rock fish spots wouldn't produce today using irons. Caught and released a couple white fish, just because 2 wasn't enough to bring home, so I kept then in the live well and when several spots in the same are did not produce more, I released then in their original spot. Trolled many miles and dropped iron so many times my wrist is sore from all the reeling. The sun never came out and it was cooler and the water temp was 2 degrees colder than Monday.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #16
surfshotmoto

Nice deep drop yellow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #17
TJones

Thanks for Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
I was able to connect this time after sticking to the game plan. SW wind was a pain in the ass and bait was not cooperating. Decided to quit messing around trying to catch bait and went out to a few spots I like to key in on. Found some interesting-looking marks and dropped the 6x down with an instant bend in 220 feet of water. Almost forgot how fun these things fight from the Yak. We are truly blessed to have these fish off our coast.
Merry Christmas.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Sushi for Christmas! Congratulations!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #19
erinoo

Hell Ya
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote