Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
FLORIDA BOY!

Bummer dude! If you purchased any of your gear with a credit card, some have 90 day accidental damage or loss.
FLORIDA BOY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
TheBentRod

The longer I do this the less gear I bring. As you start to pick your spots to fish on the regular, you will target certain species. The challenge is most of us come from party boats or situations we can't control what we target. We wind up bringing everything but the long range gear. With Kayak fishing your range is somewhat limited and you will have a tendency to target certain fish with a few techniques during certain times of the year. Then you will only need a few plastics, Lead heads, and hooks.

When you learn to tie rigs on the water, you can bring fewer rod/reel combos. Before you know it, you will have it down to a science with minimum gear. Have fun, be safe and catch plenty of fish.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
YakAttak

Thanks guys. There's something I'm curious about. When you hook to a big fish and fighting it, is there any technique? Is there any chance the fish will pull you over or while leaning back against the fish pulling, you'll flip?

Mike: these were purchases way over that 90 days period
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAttak View Post
Thanks guys. There's something I'm curious about. When you hook to a big fish and fighting it, is there any technique? Is there any chance the fish will pull you over or while leaning back against the fish pulling, you'll flip?

Mike: these were purchases way over that 90 days period
I have hooked up with huge Threshers 10 foot plus, caught yt and wsb that have provided fun sleigh rides. I have not been pulled overboard. I don't know anyone who has been pulled overboard. Having a properly set drag is help you avoid being pulled over. Now, the trick is to maintain your balance when fighting fish or surf launches. The next thing is to make sure your work space/cockpit are organized and it is easy to grab your stuff (gaff, bogo grips) when needed. Next when fighting the fish, keep the rod on the side of the boat the fish is on. Learn how to use leverage to move the boat into position. It is easier to spin the yak when you have a fish on. It will surprise you how easy it is to get the yak in the right position.

Have fun, be safe and catch fish.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote