Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Yellowtail Sashimi- New Video

You've been scouring the internet for yt tips, you've been scrimping and saving for your new kayak, begging for reels or rods, scrounging for any minute you can get on the water. Then.... it happens. You catch your first yellowtail!

Now what? Do you know what to do? How to cut it? How to ice it? How it EAT it? Its not easy handling these big fish, not like a rockfish you can just toss in the cooler and carve out some fillets. For these big fish you need a plan, nay, a system if you want to make sure your prized catch doesn't go to waste. I feel like this is a little talked about aspect of the La Jolla fishing experience, and yet its one of the most critical steps.

Don't be the guy who turns your first trophy YT into catfood. Watch my video, and learn from somebody who's already got the system. Get yourself big ass cooler and a sharp ass knife and do it right the first time!

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
FISH11

Like always another awesomely informative video Chris for those on BWE trying to learn more about how to take care of the catch. Can't enjoy the wonderful meals the fish can provide if you don't do a little work. It's work, to do it right, but it's so worth it. Plus in the end it's about RESPECTING the fish you killed. Thanks for sharing Chris.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
You've been scouring the internet for yt tips, you've been scrimping and saving for your new kayak, begging for reels or rods, scrounging for any minute you can get on the water. Then.... it happens. You catch your first yellowtail!

Now what? Do you know what to do? How to cut it? How to ice it? How it EAT it? Its not easy handling these big fish, not like a rockfish you can just toss in the cooler and carve out some fillets. For these big fish you need a plan, nay, a system if you want to make sure your prized catch doesn't go to waste. I feel like this is a little talked about aspect of the La Jolla fishing experience, and yet its one of the most critical steps.

Don't be the guy who turns your first trophy YT into catfood. Watch my video, and learn from somebody who's already got the system. Get yourself big ass cooler and a sharp ass knife and do it right the first time!

Great video

Dropped you a comment and subscribed to your YT channel
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Raw fish for the win.No catfood.

In before somebody tells him he's going to die of fish parasites. [rolleyes]
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Awesome videos. Keep em coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
Harry Hill

I don't think I would worry to much about parasites but a bad batch of smoked yellowtail almost killed me. I guess if it's allowed to lay around on deck without being cooled the meat builds up histamines. I didn't know, at some on my way to work and ended up in the ER filled up with adrenaline and antihistamines. I didn't know what was going on so I drove myself, they took one look at me and got me off my feet, my blood pressure was something like 60/10, some crazy numbers like that, my head looked like an overripe tomato. It took me a long time to eat yellowtail after that. When I go after them now I will have a cold bag and bleed them out immediately. I'll probably gut it right away also.

This was a great video though. I'm buying a sashimi knife, I always have great filet knives