Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
matthew7!

Fishing the red tide questions

New to the red tide thing how does it affect the fish? Fish bite? Quality of meat? How deep does it go? Is rock fishing still good? And how long does it last?? Anyone could give me some info thanks!!! Have safe and healthy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
Salty

I was still able to get a handful of bass last weekend in about 40-50' of water by dropping jigs down in the clear patches between the red. Water was clear about 1.5 miles offshore and there was TONS of bait out there. I'm thinking the red tide is pushing the bait out further? Which might mean some pelagic species might be coming in a little closer... Maybe just wishful thinking lol
If the red tide lasts long enough, it can choke out the kelp forests, which would be really bad....
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
walrus

The Short Answer: A red tide is an event that occurs on the coastline when algae—a plant-like organism—grows out of control. The name “red tide” comes from the fact that overgrown algae can cause the water to change color. Red tides can be hazardous to human health and sea life.

Use common sense if eating seafood caught in red tide conditions.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
walrus

A little longer answer

Runoff from sewage treatment plants and other sources flows into the ocean and can cause algae to grow faster, leading to red tides

Why Are Red Tides Dangerous?

Red tides produce powerful toxins, which are harmful chemicals that can kill fish, shellfish, mammals and birds.

If people eat fish or shellfish that have been in the water with toxic algae, they will also ingest the toxins, which can make them sick. Many regions restrict fishing during a red tide for this reason. Nearby restaurants take local fish and shellfish off the menu, too.

During a red tide, You often find beaches are sometimes covered in dead fish and other animals that either ingested toxins or couldn’t get enough oxygen.

I hope this answers you questions.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
matthew7!

Thank you!!!

matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
Tomol

To be clear, red tide and toxicity don't necessarily go together in California. Red tide rarely produces toxic seafood here. Conversely, toxic plankton blooms are usually green. But even those are uncommon. Google Domoic Acid.

As for the fishing, frequently, like this weekend off Dana Point, it only went down 15-20 feet. Below that it was the usual green soupy stuff we usually get in the Spring. And for what it's worth I saw two threshers jump close to shore this weekend where it was really horrible looking on the surface.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomol View Post
To be clear, red tide and toxicity don't necessarily go together in California. Red tide rarely produces toxic seafood here. Conversely, toxic plankton blooms are usually green. But even those are uncommon. Google Domoic Acid.

As for the fishing, frequently, like this weekend off Dana Point, it only went down 15-20 feet. Below that it was the usual green soupy stuff we usually get in the Spring. And for what it's worth I saw two threshers jump close to shore this weekend where it was really horrible looking on the surface.
+1

Linsey says this species of dinoflagellate can produce Yessotoxin in some parts of the world, however the bloom in our waters is not producing yessotoxins. As said above this species does not produce demoic acid. Take that for what it's worth, it's on you if you want to eat fish from that water. Should be fine.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Salty

My biggest concern is that the red tide limits sunlight for kelp and other plant life that provide habitat for nearshore fish species. If the red tide lingers long enough it could possibly further weaken the kelp forests that are already strained from past temperature spikes, urchin blooms, etc. Hope it clears up fast and doesn't leave behind any longer term effects....
Old 05-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Tomol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
My biggest concern is that the red tide limits sunlight for kelp and other plant life that provide habitat for nearshore fish species. If the red tide lingers long enough it could possibly further weaken the kelp forests that are already strained from past temperature spikes, urchin blooms, etc. Hope it clears up fast and doesn't leave behind any longer term effects....
Good point. Also, temps are really high for this time of year. I hope it doesn't portend yet another kelp destroying summer.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Salty

Quote:
Good point. Also, temps are really high for this time of year. I hope it doesn't portend yet another kelp destroying summer.
This weekend I was reading 66*F already just a few miles offshore. Was definitely keeping an eye on bird activity out there JUUUUST in case there was some action at the surface!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:

Where were the flying sharks seen? Wouldn’t mind scouting that location for something to pull on.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
This weekend I was reading 66*F already just a few miles offshore. Was definitely keeping an eye on bird activity out there JUUUUST in case there was some action at the surface!
Exciting!

tempbreak.com shows some temperature pockets above 68.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Exciting!

I'm picking up some frozen flyers this week since they're finally back in some tackle shops. Hitting up SCI with my buddy on his boat hoping to land some cow BFT soon!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

Fishing the red tide questions

Someone I know posted a video of dead spotted bay bass all over the beach in Encinitas. I personally wouldn’t be eating fish when they are dying by the hundreds. While it may not kill me, it can’t be great for you. This is inshore of course obviously, offshore different story.

Last edited by YakDout; 05-05-2020 at 04:35 AM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #15
kirkdavis

I saw 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Exciting!

Saturday morning about a mile outside MB it was 70. 64 inside the bay and 67 just outside.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #16
DanaPT

I was at at dana point. 68 degree water and it was yuckie. At the mile markers it was a bit clearer. More sea life and birds but no love for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200503_083710.jpg (9.7 KB, 132 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
cris

Yuck!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #18
Salty

Yeah, water was pretty nasty out there over the weekend. It seemed like the ted tide was only around the surface around 20-30 feet. When I was marking fish in 30+ feet, they were all bunched up near the bottom in tighter groups than usual. I think the red tide is keeping them pushed down and in tighter groups where visibility is a little better. When I found the pocket, I was getting bit on like every 3rd or 4th drop. Fish were hungry, you just gotta get the bait where they can see it!
Old 05-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #19
Salty

Like fishing in an ocean of dirty transmission fluid....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6625.jpg (34.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6605.jpg (82.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #20
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
A little longer answer

Runoff from sewage treatment plants and other sources flows into the ocean and can cause algae to grow faster, leading to red tides

Why Are Red Tides Dangerous?

Red tides produce powerful toxins, which are harmful chemicals that can kill fish, shellfish, mammals and birds.

If people eat fish or shellfish that have been in the water with toxic algae, they will also ingest the toxins, which can make them sick. Many regions restrict fishing during a red tide for this reason. Nearby restaurants take local fish and shellfish off the menu, too.

During a red tide, You often find beaches are sometimes covered in dead fish and other animals that either ingested toxins or couldn’t get enough oxygen.

I hope this answers you questions.
I know I will catch heat for this but I wish the red tide will make a big dent on the out of control seal population. Hope it drives them so far North that they never come back.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote