Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #1
Lundawg
Junior

Navigating SMCA and SMR @LJ

I know we can’t fish in them but, Curious if anyone knows the laws regarding drifting into the state marine reserves while fighting a fish? Say you hook into a nice yellowtail fishing in legal waters but over course of fighting it for 30min drift into an SMR? Any thoughts on what LE would do or say?
Lundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
skrilla

Hammer your drag and pull harder.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Navigating SMCA and SMR @LJ

It’s actually better to hook the fish in the MPA and let it pull you out real quick.

More bites too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Lundawg
Junior

Well I really am curious I know For hunting it’s where you shoot it and if you shoot something on public land then it runs into private you are in the right to go retrieve it. But unsure about fishing. I don’t have foot pedals like a hobbie just a paddle so I imagine the kayak could drift quite a ways depending on the current let alone the fish pulling you during a 20min battle with a nice wsb or yellowtail.
Lundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundawg View Post
Well I really am curious I know For hunting it’s where you shoot it and if you shoot something on public land then it runs into private you are in the right to go retrieve it. But unsure about fishing. I don’t have foot pedals like a hobbie just a paddle so I imagine the kayak could drift quite a ways depending on the current let alone the fish pulling you during a 20min battle with a nice wsb or yellowtail.
I hear you, its a grey area. I would say no yellowtail or seabass should take that long to fight unless it gets hung up in the kelp or foul hooked. If you're fishing by the reserve, its like skrilla said, you just hammer down and get it up quick.

Based on stories Ive heard, it would be up to the warden's discretion, which would most likely mean you would be cited. That being said, it's not like you can just cut it off. Leaving 150' of line dragging from a fishes mouth is not cool either. I would say get it up as quick as you can, and probably don't hold it over your head hooting and hollering.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote