Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Hypoxic1

Dont tell a soul.....

The Tuna are here

Not a kayak report but in view of the current flameouts for posting accurate information I dont think anyone should get too upset, this happened a long way from La Jolla.

On the occasion of my 49th birthday my wife hooked me up with a few adventure type gifts, one of which was a day and a half on The Royal Star,

For those unfamiliar, The Royal Star is one of a handful of super
sportfishers operating out of the Fishermans Landing area at Point Loma. She is 95x25 has 12 guest staterooms that each have 2 bunks and a sink, she has 4 heads and 3 showers and one of the finest crews of any sportboat anywhere.

The objective of this run was to capitalize on the recent showings of bluefin tuna within range of the 1 to 2 day trips.

We left a week ago Friday early to give us the best shot at being in the zone by Saturday morning. The seas were flat and calm, perfect for a nightride.

Fishing began at greylight while the chef cooked up made to order omlettes for the passengers. (On this class of boat all of your food is included and is typically high quality, it aint a burger boat).

There were no jigstrikes but we did make several stops on phantom marks that produced few, or no fish. At about 1030 the light turned on and every guy on the boat was fighting a fish. This stop produced limits of 20 lb class bluefin and while we kept looking for the bigger kind they seemed to stay shy, and deep.

The fish were rapidly spiked, bled and then placed in a brine cooler that keeps the fish in a prefect state until you are ready to take them at the dock, or send them to the processor for filleting and vacuum sealing.

We did make several other stops but were not able to get other species to play even after a 50 mile run up and out to warmer water.

Lunch was excellent , Asian chicken, dinner was perfectly rare cooked bluefin loin with asparagus and rice. An excellent meal, im sure even Yani would approve.

I did not take any action pictures as it was time to fish but have included a pic of the fish that is on my smoker now in the back yard.

All in all a great trip. I would encourage anyone considering taking a trip like this to see if any of the high end longer range boats are running day and a halfs or two days. Some of the longer trips are hard to fill so many of them are doing these shorter trips when schedule permits.
Tight Lines,
Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by Hypoxic1; 08-21-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote