Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
ryan111

gopro 100% mine is worth every penny
Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #22
Saba Slayer

Cameras

Olympus for stills and Go-Pro for video!
I've had 2 Olympus waterproof cameras for the last 5 years, they are waterproof, take some great photos, some rough treatment, and I haven't had any problems with them at all.
The Go-Pro camera is great for video. It's just too much fun with all the various ways and places you can mount it. The downside of the Go-Pro is the lack of choices of lenses. It's only a wide lens that's available, and it's not the most flattering of lenses up close.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #23
CobraTandem

I have used my Canon S300 since 2000 when it first came out. At that time it cost $499 without the Compact Flash Card. It has been abused, dropped and kicked in parking lots, left in a salty puddle a couple of times on deck and been handled by wet hands and splashed in salt water continuously. It is only 2.1 megapixels and has about a 1" long LCD. Finally in 2009, the lens cover started to get sticky and required a manual assist to open. It does still work, though.

So in 2009, at the recommendation of LakersFan, I got a cheap Olympus Stylus 550WP online through Amazon brand new for only $88.00 with free shipping and, shhhhh, no tax! This is the cheapest waterproof Olympus they make (if it's still made). I have been using this since then and it has been happily dunked in salt water in attempt of underwater shots. It hasn't had an issue yet. 95% of my kayak fishing is in the harbors so it has never been slapped by a yellow's tail but it definitely survives being submersed (so far). At this price and after two years, it won't be a giant loss if I lose it or if it dies a salty death.

Negatives of both cameras is probably consistent with most cameras in that it is difficult to see the LCD in bright sunlight through sunglasses. The Olympus has a close shooting range which is important when you can only take photos at arm's length. But I still have trouble fitting the whole fish in the frame. I wish you could take a close range shot and zoom out to get more area in the picture (I don't know what that is called in lens or camera terminology).
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote