Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
t-$money bussard

bang sticks?

are they legal in CA? buddy of mine asked me and i figured somone on here would know... any info helps
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-$money bussard View Post
are they legal in CA? buddy of mine asked me and i figured somone on here would know... any info helps
Found this

Answer: California Fish and Game law does not prohibit possession of these devices. However, according to Department of Fish and Game (DFG) retired Captain Phil Nelms, bang sticks and/or powerheads that use an explosive cartridge are firearms. Firearms are not a legal method of take for sharks and can’t be used to take or land sharks, or any other species of fish.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
t-$money bussard

so basically a bang stick is a novelty item.... so if needed that bad use a harpoon on sharks i guess... this states hippie laws blow.... thanks for the info though!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-$money bussard View Post

... this states hippie laws blow....
i think there is just way too much population EVERYWHERE in CA.... for us to have all the redneck laws used in many of the remote hillbilly states around the US.

you get thousands of boaters/yakkers etc all over the waterways throughout CA loaded up with these explosives.... and it would likely become a recipe for disaster.

just saying.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
i think there is just way too much population EVERYWHERE in CA.... for us to have all the redneck laws used in many of the remote hillbilly states around the US.

you get thousands of boaters/yakkers etc all over the waterways throughout CA loaded up with these explosives.... and it would likely become a recipe for disaster.

just saying.

What "Redneck Laws" are these and what makes the states that have these "Redneck Laws" hillbilly?

The DFG doesnt allow use of Bang Sticks due to the as they view non-sporting nature of it not safety. Any laws governing safety of these devices would be a DOJ issue however it obviously is not as you may legally posses them.

These are not novelty, just not legal to use in the aid of taking fish in CA. Go to Alaska or elsewhere and they are perfectly legal. Personally I dont see any more issue with these than a flying gaff or similar landing aids.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
t-$money bussard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I dont see any more issue with these than a flying gaff or similar landing aids.
^^^ agreed
Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post

just saying.
I think it's just a lack of being responsible! Redneck Hillbilly states have Tens of Thousands of hunters out during any given season and you don't hear about shootings every season unless it's a record buck or turkey.

Hell this state wants to ban hunting with lead ammo. Even though it's be proven people who eat wild game shot with lead have the same or lower BLL (Blood Lead Level) then non hunters.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
I think it's just a lack of being responsible! Redneck Hillbilly states have Tens of Thousands of hunters out during any given season and you don't hear about shootings every season unless it's a record buck or turkey.

Hell this state wants to ban hunting with lead ammo. Even though it's be proven people who eat wild game shot with lead have the same or lower BLL (Blood Lead Level) then non hunters.
The ban of lead is intended to protect the wild life(mainly birds of prey) that may feed on a carcass with lead shot in it.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Siebler

While I dont agree with this states gun laws at all the Copper ammo is to protect the Condor although now they do want to move that outward to protect other birds as well. A little extreme? Possibly but hey thats what DFG does is protect wildlife...

As for bang sticks I see no issue with them and do consider myself a true sportsmen and believe in fair chase.

For the safety reason Jeff hit the nail on the head. Be responsibile! I personally dont believe that my second amendment rights should vary just because people choose to overpopulate an area. Freedom should mean freedom no matter where in this country I live as long as I am a law abiding citizen. I am 3rd generation native San Diegan and can not wait to leave this state because of stupid people who cant either be responsible with firearms (be it "assault weapons" or bang sticks), or think that anything that goes Bang is bad for society.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
JeffB

I purchased a .44mag bang stick after a run in with a toothy critter. It was bigger than my yak and by myself, it bumped into my kayak during its second take at me.... I got a hold of the DFG through email asking for an warden to get in contact with me. Bang sticks are 100% legal. The shaft just has to be over a certain length to not be considered a firearm. I posted up on it quit a while back. Once again they are 100% legal in the state of CA. Only rule is whatever it is that is endangering your, you can not bring it back with you once you kill it. I also ran into a DFG warden at Dana Landing and showed them the device and told them about my previous convo with the warden over the phone for a double check. He looked it over and told me it was totally legal. I asked him if it was ok for me to go out to ski beach with different objects to use for target practice to see how hard it kicked from my kayak. He told me absolutely when it's not so busy as long as I cleaned up my mess.

They are 100% legal in CA, they are not firearms, they are a defense tool... Remember the shaft has to be a minimum of a certain length. The one I have I think was 40", can't remember. I gave it to a close buddy of mine...

Last edited by JeffB; 08-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Thanks Jeff!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote