Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
sdjiricek

Looking For Polyethylene Tank Or The Like

Looking For Polyethylene Tank Or The Like. 3-5 Gallons Perferably To Use As A Kayak Bait Tank. Are There Any Places In Town That Sell These Types Of Plastics? I Would Prefer The Same Material That The Larger Tanks Are Made Of Simply For Durablity. Rubbermaid And 5 Gallon Buckets Are Outa The Question As I Would Like To Have A Snug Fitting Model Taht Fits In My Hobie Outbacks' Tankwell. Customization Is My Object So The Higher Priced Models Available On Various Kayak Supply Sites Are A No Go. I Live Out In El Cajon So Anywhere In San Diego Would Be Convenient. My Internet And Phonebook Searches Have Turned Up Nada.
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Jimm H

Ridout Plastics

Ridout Plastics in Kearny Mesa
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
ski

Ryan Herco, Scripps Ranch area.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
sdjiricek

Re: Ridout Plastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H
Ridout Plastics in Kearny Mesa
Iv'e been there for acrylic but I didn't see any tanks?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
buttales

i was under the impression that the igloo marine cooler was a perfect fit in the tankwell of a hobie outback
buttales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
sdjiricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttales
i was under the impression that the igloo marine cooler was a perfect fit in the tankwell of a hobie outback
It is, but given the fact that it is insulated and double walled some space is lost. It is also bulky and the lid looks hard to manage. I believe a more durable polyethylene tank would serve to give me more space and allow a securable hatch to be installed in the top of the tank. I also plan to attatch some rod holders on the tank which I belive would require a thicker more stable wall.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
aguachico

I had several poly ethylene tanks made for my yak about 8 years ago.

http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

Good luck. Poly tanks are heavy. I designed 3 tanks for a few aks from them. let me know if you need help.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
sdjiricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico
I had several poly ethylene tanks made for my yak about 8 years ago.

http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

Good luck. Poly tanks are heavy. I designed 3 tanks for a few aks from them. let me know if you need help.
Everythin that will fit runs about 60-80 bucks. I might be better off buying a preassembeld kit and saving myself some time and error
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
sdjiricek

Fabricating a bait tank.

Well given the high price of the products and my dwindling money supply (have a little one due in a month) I think I and a friend at work are going to try to fabricate one ourselves. I work at childrens hospital as an Orthopedic Tech and work alongside an orthotics company who makes all their own custon fit braces out of vacum molded polypropylene. The orthotist says we may be able to sqeeze 4 tanks outa sheet of the stuff. I'm gonna do a fiberglass mold of the tankwell this weekend out of the fiberglass that I use to cast limbs. I'll keep you all apprised and post some pictures of my progression.