Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #1
Fish

Kayak Organization and simplicity??

Hey guys , I'm wondering how you guys store your tackle and other things in your kayak.

I feel like I have to much going on to many things I have to rig up ,I'm trying to keep things very simple easy to get to and not in the way or end up with stuff just everywhere.

So far I was thinking about getting rid of the milk cart and just using an ammo box with a 3 rod holder bolted to it keep either my tackle in there extra gear or lunch. Ill probably switch out the bait tank when I want to bring it or use a bait tube and use the ammo box instead...depending on the trip.

I was also thinking of drilling a hole in the kayak below the hatch and having a ring with a carbiner so it doesn't slide to the front or back and have it attached to the inside with a few water tight bags on the inside of the yak for things i don't need to access often(jackets ,extra tackle, misc, etc) but still in front of me and easier to get to.

Im open to any ideas you guys have come up with to keep things organized and simple.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

What kind of kayak do you have? Check out the innovations thread in this forum.

Part of the fun is tinkering and customizing. I seem to always bring too much stuff. Been trying to pare it down, but I also want to be ready for whatever comes my way since my time on the water is really limited.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
Fishin' Magician

I keep trying to pare things down as well, but it always seems as though whenever one thing gets taken off my list of things to bring, another one finds its way onto to it. I fish mostly the bays, so half the stuff I have hardly ever gets used. I have an anchor that has never touched the water (yet), a brand new folding net to replace the large net that was really only needed 2 or 3 times in the 3 years since I bought it, a gaff that I've only needed once on a YT on the Islander trip last month (but I'm always hoping to need it for a legal sized halibut), and a whole bunch of lures, weights, and other 'stuff' that I feel that I just need to take with me 'just in case'.

So I understand your problem. We need to organize a support group. "Hello, my name is Andy and I'm a kayak fishing junkie...."
Old 06-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

To simplify what you take, bring only what you need for target species. If you don't use something 3 trips in a row (excluding safety gear) don't bring it anymore. Just more things to lose if you flip and make you slower on the water.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
octico

What's up Fish let me know when you want to go out again.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
taggermike

I try to keep things as simple as possible. Some may say bare bones. There are things i must have on on every trip. Safety stuff; PFD, whistle, hand pump, cell phone/radio. Things I have to take to legally fish; license, net, measuring devise. Fishing stuff I need on every trip; pliers, line cutters, game clip gaff, seat. After that I pack just what I need for the fishing I have planned for that day. This means organized fishing gear, knowlede of the fishery, and many plano boxes. I can almost always Get by with 1 plano box and 1 bag of leader spools. I never take an anchor to LA Jolla. When I fish south bay I take the anchor but not a bait tank. I have nothing on my kayak that needs electricity, FF or bait pump, so that simplifies things. For summer LJ fishing i bring 5 surface irons, 3 small heavy irons, 2 plugs. 2 sibikis, 3 sinkers 1-3 oz, 2 fluoro leader spools, and maybe 12 hooks. Obviously im not calico or bottom fishing. Sure, I some times wish I had a different iron or larger plastic but not too often. Works for me and makes packing, setting up, n taking down faster n simpler. Make a few lists of what you take then whittle them to what you need. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
What's up Fish let me know when you want to go out again.
Yes forsure bud , been really busy with work and music lately , but now getting the kayak where i want it now and def hit you up to go out.

Last edited by Fish; 06-11-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I try to keep things as simple as possible. Some may say bare bones. There are things i must have on on every trip. Safety stuff; PFD, whistle, hand pump, cell phone/radio. Things I have to take to legally fish; license, net, measuring devise. Fishing stuff I need on every trip; pliers, line cutters, game clip gaff, seat. After that I pack just what I need for the fishing I have planned for that day. This means organized fishing gear, knowlede of the fishery, and many plano boxes. I can almost always Get by with 1 plano box and 1 bag of leader spools. I never take an anchor to LA Jolla. When I fish south bay I take the anchor but not a bait tank. I have nothing on my kayak that needs electricity, FF or bait pump, so that simplifies things. For summer LJ fishing i bring 5 surface irons, 3 small heavy irons, 2 plugs. 2 sibikis, 3 sinkers 1-3 oz, 2 fluoro leader spools, and maybe 12 hooks. Obviously im not calico or bottom fishing. Sure, I some times wish I had a different iron or larger plastic but not too often. Works for me and makes packing, setting up, n taking down faster n simpler. Make a few lists of what you take then whittle them to what you need. Mike
Thanks Mike , that gives me a good idea of what people do , yea I'm guilty of bringing way to much tackle , i like the options but I'm sure i can lessen the weight and keep it simple also make me better at targeting certain species if i just plan on that for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
To simplify what you take, bring only what you need for target species. If you don't use something 3 trips in a row (excluding safety gear) don't bring it anymore. Just more things to lose if you flip and make you slower on the water.
I like that 3 trip rule I'm sure theres a bunch of stuff i could go without haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
What kind of kayak do you have? Check out the innovations thread in this forum.

Part of the fun is tinkering and customizing. I seem to always bring too much stuff. Been trying to pare it down, but I also want to be ready for whatever comes my way since my time on the water is really limited.
I have a 15ft Prowler ,Yea i feel yea I'm kind of kind the same situation , i don't go out as often so i bring options from spotty too hali to rock fishing gear but i need to tone it down hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Great idea on the list , that should give me a good visual so i can cut the fat. I always think I'm going lose hooks or jigs , I've had days like that where I've gone through tons of tackle but thats pretty rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician View Post
I keep trying to pare things down as well, but it always seems as though whenever one thing gets taken off my list of things to bring, another one finds its way onto to it. I fish mostly the bays, so half the stuff I have hardly ever gets used. I have an anchor that has never touched the water (yet), a brand new folding net to replace the large net that was really only needed 2 or 3 times in the 3 years since I bought it, a gaff that I've only needed once on a YT on the Islander trip last month (but I'm always hoping to need it for a legal sized halibut), and a whole bunch of lures, weights, and other 'stuff' that I feel that I just need to take with me 'just in case'.

So I understand your problem. We need to organize a support group. "Hello, my name is Andy and I'm a kayak fishing junkie...."
I always bring my gaff, never used it sadly , also hoping for that huge Hali!

When was the lat time you "used"? Im here to tell you, you are not alone ...we can help you! LOL

Last edited by Fish; 06-11-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
surfisher

Most people have covered it but .... this is how I pack. I have all my swimbaits sorted by color and size in a bunch of plano boxes that I keep at my house (easy to keep tabs on what I need to replace). Depending on what kind of fishing I will be doing, I take 5 main colors and a few various size lead heads in 1 plano box. After fishing like this for a while, I found the less gear I brought with me, the more time I spent fishing and working with what I brought as opposed to bringing everything and constantly changing out my gear.

If I am fishing for YT I always have three rods; one for yoyo, surface and bait. Again, everything goes in one plano box including hooks, iron, weights. Makes finding your gear quick and easy when the bite is on and the single plano can fit behind my seat while on the water and stashed in the hull when im launching.

Remember, keep it simple and if some of the gear isn't working or your not using it, switch it out for something else.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Good questions and suggestions.

I'm always thinking about simplifying and organizing as well. It's good to have exactly what we need -- no more, no less.

---

This is how I manage that:

I store my kayak and a few plastic storage boxes of anything I might need (active possibilities, not dead storage) in the back of my van. I am ready for rapid deployment at a moments notice, any direction for any kind of fishing or other restless and impulsive escape.

In my van, I have tools for repairs, first aid, all kinds of tackle that is current and useful (no junk, nothing redundant), poles, sun screen, hat, towels, extra set of batteries for my fish finder, hand sanitizer, mustache wax, knives, 2 gallons of water for washing, cleaning fish or anything else. I have an extra jacket, rubber boots and dry clothes. Gear for shore fishing. Gear for the half day boats. The largest plastic storage box doubles as my fish transportation container to keep fish goo out of my carpets.

Also in my van is a general purpose ready bag with everything I need if I don't want to go home for three days, including a pillow and blanket.

When I roll my kayak out the back door of the van, I take ONLY what I'm going to use for that fishing session. The kayak is pre-packed with the minimal essentials only. I add to my kayak what I need when it's on it's wheels behind my van. Less clutter, less weight, less things to lose or clean and restock when I get home.

If I need to fix something or respool my line, etc., or anything else unexpected, I can go back to my mothership for restocking or repair. It's so much easier than going home or to a store, especially at night or mornings before the stores open.

I can respond immediately for any unexpected urge to go fishing. I can probably bug out in less than 5 minutes if necessary, then organize the rest of my plan as I'm driving to the destination. If I have 15 minutes to deploy, then I will probably make a fresh thermos of hot coffee for the drive, and for my return to the van after fishing. Styrofoam cups are already in the van.

---

PS - I just decided to add another plastic storage container with a table top propane grill, bottle of wine, lantern, cooking ingredients, plates, cups, paper towels, utensils, and tin foil for emergency picnics. Service for 4 people. Not much space, but it adds a whole new dimension to my hedonism and impulsiveness.

Thanks for prompting me to think about this.

Life is sweet

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Fish

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing ,take what I need and use what I take - Surfisher

Mr.Niceguy I wish I had your van haha sounds like you have it covered for any situation!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Fish

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1434142928

Was tinkering around yesterday instead of drilling any holes the boxes stay still even getting into the hatch, hope it works.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
DanaPT

"organize the rest of my plan as I'm driving to the destination"

those fish have NO chance. Now for the WFO call .
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Deamon

[QUOTE=YakDout;230147]If you don't use something 3 trips in a row (excluding safety gear) don't bring it anymore. QUOTE]

Okay...I trust you. I'll leave my game clips at home...Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

[QUOTE=Deamon;230299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
If you don't use something 3 trips in a row (excluding safety gear) don't bring it anymore. QUOTE]

Okay...I trust you. I'll leave my game clips at home...Jim

If you come up empty 3 trips in a row maybe you should think about a different sport. Woman's volleyball??

Totally kidding, been to la jolla 5 times in a row without the right kind.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
Fish

[QUOTE=YakDout;230300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

If you come up empty 3 trips in a row maybe you should think about a different sport. Woman's volleyball??

Totally kidding, been to la jolla 5 times in a row without the right kind.
does watching women's volleyball count?

I still haven't done LJ, hopefully soon though.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
JayB619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Good questions and suggestions.

I'm always thinking about simplifying and organizing as well. It's good to have exactly what we need -- no more, no less.

---

This is how I manage that:

I store my kayak and a few plastic storage boxes of anything I might need (active possibilities, not dead storage) in the back of my van. I am ready for rapid deployment at a moments notice, any direction for any kind of fishing or other restless and impulsive escape.

In my van, I have tools for repairs, first aid, all kinds of tackle that is current and useful (no junk, nothing redundant), poles, sun screen, hat, towels, extra set of batteries for my fish finder, hand sanitizer, mustache wax, knives, 2 gallons of water for washing, cleaning fish, or anything else. I have an extra jacket, rubber boots and dry clothes. Gear for shore fishing. Gear for the half day boats. The largest plastic storage box doubles as my fish transportation container to keep fish goo out of my carpets.

Also in my van is a general purpose ready bag with everything I need if I don't want to go home for three days, including a pillow and blanket.

When I roll my kayak out the back door of the van, I take ONLY what I'm going to use for that fishing session. The kayak is pre-packed with the minimal essentials only. I add to my kayak what I need when it's on it's wheels behind my van. Less clutter, less weight, less things to lose or clean and restock when I get home.

If I need to fix something or respool my line, etc., or anything else unexpected, I can go back to my mothership for restocking or repair. It's so much easier than going home or to a store, especially at night or mornings before the stores open.

I can respond immediately for any unexpected urge to go fishing. I can probably bug out in less than 5 minutes if necessary, then organize the rest of my plan as I'm driving to the destination. If I have 15 minutes to deploy, then I will probably make a fresh thermos of hot coffee for the drive, and for my return to the van after fishing. Styrofoam cups are already in the van.

---

PS - I just decided to add another plastic storage container with a table top propane grill, bottle of wine, lantern, cooking ingredients, plates, cups, paper towels, utensils, and tin foil for emergency picnics. Service for 4 people. Not much space, but it adds a whole new dimension to my hedonism and impulsiveness.

Thanks for prompting me to think about this.

Life is sweet
Damn I really need a van again!
JayB619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
Vikingj

A great deal of useful info here that would take months/years to pick up on your own. Thanks for the Q and A. The only thing I would add is pre-tying your hali stinger rigs, YT fly line tackle, bass live bait hooks to a suitable fluorocarbon leader (2 1/2 - 3 ft) with swivel clip at end and store each in a labeled ziplock baggy. When you have to replace damaged/lost tackle or switch out to target another you are goodtogo.
PS: What does Mr. NG use mustache wax for? ..some magic lubricant?..waterproof seal? Curious minds would like to know.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote