Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Sully1

My time to shine

Have you ever heard that saying: "a bad day on the water is better than a great day at work"? I'm here to tell you that's a bunch of Bologna. During my recent Yellowtail drought that lasted two, very long years, I'm here to tell you otherwise. Not catching fish when you know they're around kind of sucks! Even worse, it's been brought to my attention that they're always around.

So here I am last Sunday at a get together, at the peak of my drought I might add, listening attentively when a friend brought up The Darkhorse. His reputation this and putting people on trophy fish that. I found his suggestion to hire a fishing guide a little extreme, because after all, I’m a duct tape and WD-40 do-it-yourself kind of guy. Can’t I figure it out on my own? Of course I can! Then my buddy tells me about the two guys and the maze. The first guy keeps taking the same turns, and gets nowhere. The other guy asks for guidance from the gardener who knows every nook and corner of the maze, and talks him through every last step to the way out. So he says, “Which guy do you want to be?” Having a MD and clearly stubborn this little story pushed me over the edge. What are friends for?

A few e-mails, a phone call, and short drive later I met Josh promptly at the La Jolla Shores Kayak Launch at dawn. When meeting Josh for the first time I was struck as much by his Southern hospitality as his attention to subtle details. The kind of details that only innumerous hours of on-the-water time logged can bestow. I hadn’t previously even thought about bait orientation upon water entry, yellowtail footprints, or kayak orientation in the current, much less about the fishing ramifications that might follow. It was safe to say that Josh was totally in his element. A great guide is able to determine what your skills are and knows how to build on them...in an effort to take you to the next level. Which is exactly what Josh did over the course of the day.

After some detailed instruction, gear changes and a long look around, with uncanny precision, I was told to get ready. Get ready? Get ready for what? Then a few precious moments pass and I'm almost ripped out of my seat... Hook Up! At this point it's me vs. one pissed off yellow. Keep in mind, that it had been two long years since I've pulled on one of these fish. Enter sensory overload zone. I just didn't want to lose him and my stress level rose a few notches. I'm confident that without Josh's coaching this fish in particular, was bound to be lost. All I remember: "Keep Cranking! Keep Cranking! Get ready for the Pop! She's ready... just seal the deal." Then Josh telling me to look down as the fish approached color. Oh how long it had been.

Then this...

Due to my confidentiality agreement, I can't exactly give it all away. I will say though that everything was focused on proper technique and placement of our offerings. And perfect knots, of course. Josh assured me that if we played our cards right, and I quote," I can almost guarantee a couple more". If you've read one of these before, you probably guessed, it's safe to say he was right.

They bit in the full sun...

And kept playing as the power boats watched and hours passed...

It was nothing short of amazing. Especially if you consider there was a fleet of sportfishing and private boats out there...not catching a damn thing! Before it was all said and done, I realized, that I had just caught as many yellowtail in one afternoon as I had in the last 5 years...fishing up to 45 days per year!!! Without a doubt, hiring Josh as my guide was the best decision I've ever made. Josh assured me that this was just the tip of the ice berg in terms of what patterns there are to follow. Thus, I'm already planning my next lesson. I spent twelve years in college and am excited to learn what this guy's got to offer. There's only so far the books will take you in life.

When Josh sent me this photo, he offered a free two day charter if I managed to capture a better sunset fish photo of myself. He was also nice enough to give me the rest of my life to do it.
Which was a safe bet if you asked me. You be the judge...it's not going to happen!

John Sullivan
Sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
driftwood

Great report!!!
Look at all that room in the rear for YT. You could of easily fitted two more large YT's in the back comfortably.
The PA is the truck of the ocean!

Nice truck load!!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

heck yes dude! way to go!

i need to spend more than 2 1/2 hours out there and see what i can do.

you try stand up fishing on that thing?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Hellboy1500

Amazing pics and great story! Congrats
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

What a great post John!

The fish got some beautiful colors on them. I bet that the guy who took the photo has done it before.. Great fishing and photography skills.

I bet a hundred bucks that the last photo is on your screen saver already.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

I guess the safe assumption would be that The Darkhorse told ya to ditch the bait tank for dead fish storage. Great job!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
bellcon

Epic day on the water. Darkhorse uh? going to have to look that guy up some day.

Awesome pics, I straightened the horizon on the last one for you. (picky picky)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Yea I had the same experience when I went with Josh...I think your sunset was much better though!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
PE.rider

That pole you have on the back looks like it's nine foot long... what do you rig that for? Trolling?
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Deamon

Very cool all the way around. Congrats!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
roadx

nice fish! another satisfied customer
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
KatFish

Awesome hook up! The sunset pic is AMAZING
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
undrH2Ohntr

Awesome report.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
drseiler

Wow, great report. I am going to have to learn some things from this guide. Congrats on a great day and the pics are killer.
drseiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
mtnbykr2

Very well put together report, the pics are great, fish are great, I am sure they will taste great, awesome job, Josh, the pics tell it all, I am savin' up for some pics of my own...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
rpd

New to the forums but have read multiple "darkhorse" posts... Definitely something to look into. Thanks for the report!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
bigbarrels

congrats on the YT As with you and many others, I highly recommend people to hire Josh to learn the game.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Dirty Curti

I just love these Dark Horse stories. You can tell who the smart guys are...They hire Josh and then put together a beautiful fish report afterwards.

Well done the both of you.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Kailolo

Congrats and a Request

Dr. S,

"Thus, I'm already planning my next lesson"

If you are planning to go with Darkhorse again this season, and you want company for a break on the cost (assuming there will be a discount), please let me know. Just ping me via PM.

Needless to say--Awesome!

Dr. T
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Pescavore1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1 View Post
Then my buddy tells me about the two guys and the maze. The first guy keeps taking the same turns, and gets nowhere. The other guy asks for guidance from the gardener ...”
I enjoyed reading your post. I especially like your analogy about the gardener. I sometimes think of Josh as that gardener; however, he plants 30-40 lb yellowtail and 50 lb wsb in strategic spots to pluck them out later for his clients.
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote