Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Fish

Rudder on prowler 15?

So I was looking into getting a rudder , my question is.

How much does it really help? Is it worth having?

I've never used a yak with a rudder so looking for some opinions.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

II guess my first question would be, how much have you paddled the prowler without the rudder and what do you feel a rudder would do to enhance that experience. I had Prowler for close to 10 years and found that hull to be the best tracking hull of any I have been on and on a drift, it would drift perfectly down wind. I like to keep things simple and the fewer moving parts the better. And if you buy the Hobie boat anglers argument that they can move around and leave both hands free for fishing and eating, then it would seen that you would need a third hand to handle a rudder on the prowler.. Having said that I have never paddled a kayak with a rudder so I may be missing something important.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
driftwood

A rudder on a kayak helps you track straight on windy days. other than that, they're waste of time on a kayak.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Aznronin

Rudders for SoCal fishing are a waste of time. They are quite simply just extra weight, and one more thing to snag your line on. Don't do it.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've never paddled a kayak with a rudder, but I think getting one would depend on how your boat tracks and if you do a lot of paddling in the wind.

Since I often go out in the afternoons when the wind picks up, I've occasionally had to paddle on only one side of my kayak for miles just to go in a semi-straight line because of strong wind, and I wish I had a rudder for those times. I'm not sure but I think a rudder may also be able to adjust your drift angle as well.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Fish

You guys have good points , I guess it really comes down to me trying one out but then again spending over 200 bucks for a rudder eek , that's a nice new rod or reel.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
King Saba

Quote:
You guys have good points , I guess it really comes down to me trying one out but then again spending over 200 bucks for a rudder eek , that's a nice new rod or reel.
Maybe take the more inexpensive route and build one?
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
CheapPelican

It noticeably cuts down on the turning radius of long yaks which is nice fishing around slips and moored boats. Saves you from having to take an extra stroke on your leeward side when paddling perpendicular to the wind. Can be used as a kelp anchor.

Its a luxury, kinda like having cruise control. You can get from point A to B without it, but if you ever don't have it you'll remember how nice it was when you did. I think they are awesome.

I still have my x13 if you want to borrow it see what difference It makes.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

rudder

When I was with the Ocean Kayak Fish Team I really liked having a rudder on my Trident...it made paddling much easier...no more gorilla arm as you paddle along the wind and end up paddling on one side to counteract the turning effect of the wind. I'd get one even if you only end up using it when the wind is up.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Maybe take the more inexpensive route and build one?
like build one with out the turning cables,so its always straight? i could def do that.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
When I was with the Ocean Kayak Fish Team I really liked having a rudder on my Trident...it made paddling much easier...no more gorilla arm as you paddle along the wind and end up paddling on one side to counteract the turning effect of the wind. I'd get one even if you only end up using it when the wind is up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
It noticeably cuts down on the turning radius of long yaks which is nice fishing around slips and moored boats. Saves you from having to take an extra stroke on your leeward side when paddling perpendicular to the wind. Can be used as a kelp anchor.

Its a luxury, kinda like having cruise control. You can get from point A to B without it, but if you ever don't have it you'll remember how nice it was when you did. I think they are awesome.

I still have my x13 if you want to borrow it see what difference It makes
I've experienced that one side paddle on really crappy wind days if it helps that then maybe it would be worth it to me , also guys lets just admit they look bad ass haha
Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:

I had a prowler 15 with a Rudder on it. For the price of buying one and installing it, I wouldn't recommend it. As others mentioned they are great for getting line snagged on, kelp, and anything else floating. If it's windy sure they help but if the Kayak doesn't have one, I would install one.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
So go to OEX and ask them, tell them what you are thinking about, they might just have a yak with rudder you could try. Then you can make an informed decision. Good luck.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
easyday

I had a rudder on my tarpon 160 and I loved it. I currently have a rudder on my thresher 155 I can honestly say I won't own a kayak over 12 feet w/o a rudder again. there are way more PROS than cons to having a rudder on the yak. You don't have to paddle on one side when in heavy wind and it really helps turn the kayak with little effort. As for the hands free argument, the wilderness systems kayaks with a rudder installed you use your feet to control the rudder, I assume it would be the same for paddle kayaks.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Fish

yea the prowlers have he foot controls aswell $299 tho =(
Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
theluckypig

i have a rudder on my trident ultra 4.7 and love it.... it took me a year before i ever used it, but now i would highly recommend having a rudder... it makes a difference...

previously, i had a trident 15, and 13, and prowler 15... i never had a rudder on any of them and had absolutely no concerns about needing a rudder... they track great.

i guess the point is that ignorance is bliss... the prowlers track great, a rudder takes it to a next level... if cost is an issue, i'd go without...

my 2 cents...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote