Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
outdoorzen

Del Mar Kelp SUP 12/15

Had to decide whether to surf or fish today as the waves looked fun, but opted to fish and I'm glad I did. Paddled out to the kelp around the top of the tide and get bet on the first drop with a calico. I thought things were going to be epic, but scratched aroud for the next hour or so for a sandie and a small boccacio. At about 1030, I feel a small nibble and set the hook. I instantly felt the weight of a nice fish as he peeld off abiout 10 yards of drag. Another couple violent head shakes and I have a NICE sheephead next to the board. I get him on the stringer with little fanfair and drop another strip of squid into the same hole. Hit again. This time anothe rcalico, legal fro sure, but I let him go. After anothe two calicos, I feel the rod load up again. It came up about half way, and then decided to bolt for the bottom, and started ripping drag. I don't have the drag buttoned dow on the Lexa, still runnin 15# mono, so i play him out and lo and behold, it was the last sheephead's brother! After, two nice fish on the stringer, I reluctantly look at the clock and decide to paddle back and call it a day, leaving the fish biting is a hard thing to do! Anyways, here they are and I have invited everyone to dinner tonight for fresh feesh! Not sure how big they are cause I don't have a scale, but I do know they were heavy little buggers. Aloha!
Attached Images

outdoorzen is offline   Reply With Quote