Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
octico

Lake Skinner tips

Hello

I know the is not saltwater related, but I know a few of you folks live down in that area. The family and I are going to go on a trip camping to Lake Skinner. I have a sit in yak I am taking. Any suggestions on what to fish target this time of year and a few tips on lure type and what general area of the lake would be good.

--John
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Hello

I know the is not saltwater related, but I know a few of you folks live down in that area. The family and I are going to go on a trip camping to Lake Skinner. I have a sit in yak I am taking. Any suggestions on what to fish target this time of year and a few tips on lure type and what general area of the lake would be good.

--John
In before some one mentions Helicopter Lures
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

I live down the street from skinner. Striped bass fishing heats up around this time. Any big bait in trout pattern will work good for the big striper. Hard swimbaits mostly. Early morning you should see some boils and same for evening. Spinnerbaits work great for the LMB.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've had some great camping and fishing with my kids at Skinner. Like YakD said, large trout pattern hard baits for the Stripers - I've used big 10" segmented lures with luck. When you see a boil in the morning or evening get to it asap because they move fast. You probably won't be able to get on the boils quick enough on a kayak, but you could get lucky. The smaller ones sometimes bite frozen anchovie near shore. Good LMB bite in most of the coves, and all you need is a worm and a bobber if you're feeling lazy. The inlet was always a great spot for Stripers, Trout, or Catfish, depending on time of year. The shallows usually can produce LMB, Trout, Bluegill/Crappie. I've seen some big Carp caught in the coves too.

I haven't been there in a few years, I wonder what the water level is like these days? The Catfish bite might be slowing down this time of year, and they should be stocking Trout soon.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #5
kareem korn

Small 3" black/pearl swim bait or the BH grey/yellow/pearl. Toss out, slow paddle and enjoy the scenery. When you hookup fish that area.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
WARRIORMIKE

Memories there. I once saw a mountain lion eating a mule deer . It was a pretty f**kin awesome site to see. About 10-20 feet from shore
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Eric D Man
FNG

NO LUCK

I live about 15 mins from the lake, we love going camping but have not caught a thing. Shore or boat didn't work for me. Would love to here if you have any luck... LET ME KNOW

SMITH
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D Man View Post
I live about 15 mins from the lake, we love going camping but have not caught a thing. Shore or boat didn't work for me. Would love to here if you have any luck... LET ME KNOW

SMITH
Thanks for the words of encouragement

I will let you know how it goes!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Dail14

I live nearby and have fished there many times from shore and once from boat. The water is down very far which pushes the fish out and most shallow fish will look at you like your an idiot for trying to catch them. I mean this literally. As said above try chasing boils, drift with flylined anchovies or if possible, troll some white flys. If you like catching carp try fishing very shallow. There are some massive ones that patrol the shore in large groups.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #10
petergmil5_ab
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
Memories there. I once saw a mountain lion eating a mule deer . It was a pretty f**kin awesome site to see. About 10-20 feet from shore
Really, that's an awesome site you had..
petergmil5_ab is offline   Reply With Quote