Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
silentviper

Talking They always said i should share...(Trailer Designs)

As a bored college student, on my 4 day weekend, last weekend i decided to start mocking up a trailer for my family's kayaks. Between the 4 of us we already have 6 Kayaks and my dad wants a Pro Angler. (If anyone wants to throw us a bone, please do)
We currently have:
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Malibu Extreme
Hobie Mirage Classic
Ocean Kayak scrambler
Malibu Mini-X
A 30 Year old 16' sit-in-side we got for $60 we call the milk bottle no idea what it is.

I bargained with my dad saying if he was going to get a pro angler, we needed a trailer because i didn't want to heft that beast around. (I am typically the only one who packs for fishing trips).

My idea was to create a completely self-contained trailer for 7 kayaks, all gear related to it and even the tools necessary to fix a problem while on the road. Possibly even wire it for chargers for batteries and lights so when we hook up the trailer we would just unplug it from an AC plug that keeps batteries charged. or use the lights for early morning launch prep.

So i guess i am sharing for somewhat selfish purposes. Looking for constructive Criticism on the designs. or even ideas to add to this whole thing.

Some preliminary facts:
both are 21ft from Stem to stern
Both Trailer Design's Internal Box Length are about 17' to accommodate longer kayaks Like my Ultra
Both trailers are about 7' internal width
all dimensions are in inches. Stupid solidworks.

Here's an overall View of both designs

Here's where things got wierd. A design i came up with while doing other more productive things, seemed to be off balanced, i.e. too much weight in kayaks on one side and not enough weight in gear to counter act hundreds of pounds of kayaks all on one side. So i remodeled it to be more balanced an store more gear. I'll just post both models.

Here's a trimetric View of the Unbalanced Model

Here's a side view of the unbalanced model with toolbox dimensions assuming there was an access door somewhere along the side

Here's a Top view of the Unbalanced design with box dimensions

Now for the balanced monstrosity.

A Trimetric of it.

Rear view Rack dimensions the bottom left side is slightly longer to accommodate the giant PA

I would like to hook up a system like
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdstarr View Post
on all of the separate supports closes to the rear door and regular cradle padding on the other supports

If you want to modify or open the files for yourself
You can modify or make your own using Solidworks
or you can just view using eDrawings

Sorry mac only people i don't have a solution for you.

Trailer Mock Unbalanced eDrawing

Trailer Mock Balanced eDrawing

Trailer Mock Unbalanced Solidworks model

Trailer Mock Balanced Solidworks Model

Bad idea? Good Idea?

Sorry for the lame second post
silentviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

10 inches in between the supports is the only thing that made me a little nervous. I'm a fatty, and I wont be able to squeeze in there to help you load or unload. Imagine trying to lift the top kayak from the rack with a total of 10 inches to fit into.

Very cool designs, you'll come up with something, sleep on it.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
jbaker

I would start off with an extra tall enclosed cargo trailer, 8' inside height. then look for one with dual swinging rear doors, might have to custom order as most trailers that are 20' have ramp doors. building the up rights out of aluminum and making the arms adjustable / removable. Maybe make a front bench all the way across the front with the tool box under it and possibly cabinets above. And finally depending on whats towing it, where it will be going and the trailer suspension, flipping the axles and putting a wider tires on it. But then again it would be a lot cheaper to build an open trailer just my .02 tho
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer design