Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
YakNutz

Hobie Outfitter or Oasis???

So I'm thinking about getting a tandem Hobie for the wife and kids. I'm stuck between the two models, outfitter and oasis, my main concern is stability. I will also be using it for fishing with the wife when the kids aren't with us....if that ever happens. So I'm really just looking for some feedback from anyone that has any experience or knowledge about them? Thanks
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
oneyedeer

Got a older model outfitter super stable i could stand on it and its for sale
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
theluckypig

my wife and i have an 2011 oasis. it's got the newer body design and moves very well. we've never felt unstable in it, either as a tandem or solo. and there's plenty of room for the little ones... andy at oex sunset beach hooked us up. i'm sure he'd have demos you could try out...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Salty Dog
loves bacon

I have a 2011 Oasis. The hobie bait tank fits in the tankwell, the rails has plenty of room for rod holder mounting options, 2 rod holders in the back. The redesigned hull is fast, 2 mirage drives with turbo fins makes a really big wake. Super stable, I can stand on it no problems. Front and back rudder controls is very nice, your old lady can steer while you fish. Longer than outfitter makes it more seaworthy in open waters, it's a little heavier and bulkier. It's very fun.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I was in the same predicament about two months ago: Outfitter or Oasis? I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old so stability was a concern for me as well. Below are some pros and cons I went through...

The Outfitter was considered a better kayak fishing tandem before 2011, but after 2011 I think the Oasis is superior for the aspects mentioned above. One feature some forgot to mention was the weight capacity; it's higher on the Oasis. Another positive is the hatch up front. Even though it is small, the hatch allows access to the bow of the kayak. The only negatives against the Oasis is the lack of front rod holders, tray areas/flat areas on the rails, and its stability status versus the Outfitter which I would call "super" stable.

The Outfitter is shorter and one inch wider. For me, these were pros. The Outfitter is shorter and wider, but it moves very well in the water (I own a Revolution 13 as well). It has the already mentioned rod holders up front and more flat areas to install extras. Typically, the molded-in rod holders are not a big deal for me, but it was nice to have one more place to mount my GoPro so I could get a different perspective on the kayak. The biggest negative for some could be the hull slap on the Outfitter which would result in a wetter ride for the person up front. For me, this was not a big deal since I would mainly be in the harbors or lakes.
Aside: the 2011+ Outfitters have dual steering as well.

In the end, I would go with the Oasis if you are going out to the open ocean/surf launch and you have one kid. If you have two kids, like I do and are sticking to calm waters I would go with the Outfitter.

I provided a link where I put together video clips of some recent trips my boys and I took on the Outfitter. I wanted to note, while the kids were standing up, moving around and leaning over I never once felt their movements or was I ever worried. When I moved, it never disrupted the balance of the kayak on their end. As a parent it can be worrisome when your three year old is 5 feet from you leaning over on the yak.....

http://youtu.be/AHcByc3pvZg

* I got my Outfitter from Andy at OEX. You should test drive both yaks with your kids and wifey....
* The hull slap at the end of the video was exaggerated since we were looking for waves to "jump."

Last edited by roby; 05-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Nice video Roby. You certainly have your hands full! I think we have enough outfitters to have have a tandem tourney! Oh yeah, the reason for my post is to share with you my bait tank/storage locker(when not use as a bait tank). It it made from a vittles vault, the large one for 35lbs of food. There is also 8 rod holders, water proof battery box, dual overflow drains to regulate the water level to keep from sinking the Outfitter when you are overloaded with fish! Here's a picture...
user3662_pic819_1322393649.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Last weekend in Dana point there were two kids in a hobie tandem that were hauling ass around the harbor and drag racing people. It was entertaining as hell to watch.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote