Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Cabrillo 1/22/11

Got to Cabrillo at 6:10am and saw two other cars at the parking lot, Ron(?) and Greg. In the next 20 minutes stinkymatt, ericko, mtnbykr2, wiredantz, theluckypig, and Landwhale showed up. We all loaded up and were on the water before 7am. The weather was just fantastic and with the incoming tide the water looked decent. There were patches of debris, but nothing terrible. The wind cooperated and made for an absolutely gorgeous day.

Later on in the day we heard some other baytubers were on the water, specifically Kiyo.

I started fishing the point with mtbykr2. I caught a bass early on that ran into the kelp and lost it. I decide to get closer to the kelp...bad idea. My bait tank gets clogged and dies, and my rudder gets hung up. I'm pissed right now. I get free and and find some sand to work to find a halibut. After sending down one of my dying bait, I get bit and catch my first legal halibut. I unhook the halibut and send him back down. Ericko comes rolling in and catches a 27 inch halibut within 30 minutes - his PB on a kayak. Mtbykr2 catches a couple of shorty halibut and some bass while we check out the area for some more halibut. We make another move on the jetty into some deeper water with wiredantz. When we get there the sand bass started to bite. In total we all pulled in 6 bass or so in the first hour at that spot; the bass were decent sized as well.

We made our last drift towards the launch about noon. I met up with Greg and stinkymatt and fished for another 45 minutes or so. I headed in at 12:45.

One of my goals in 2010 was just to catch a legal halibut, so I was excited when I caught one at Cabrillo. My highlight of the day though was just fishing with some folks here on the board. Paddling with Greg in the morning and just getting to know him, watching ericko catch his pb, Landwhale's great attitude about kayak fishing in general, and meeting a baytuber in the parking lot and finding we have lot in common. Starting this trip there were some harsh words on stinkmatt's thread; it ended up with some real cool veterans, BWE members, and newbies (mainly me) having a good time on the water.

Greg on the water in the AM

ericko's halibut...

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

great photos, nice eater Eric! looked like a fun way to spend the day.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
bellcon

Good times
Great report
Congrats on the PB Eric
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
huntin4fish
Junior

Cabrillo

Quick question. Im just getting setup for yak fishin. Grew up in the southeast bass and trout fishing, Have basically ZERO saltwater fishing. I have bass and trout setups but what would be a good economical setup that could be used for Halibut rod, reel and line weight? Right now I intend to stick to inshore fishing until I get more comfortable with the yak and gear, Also I have a bunch of big hammer swimbaits, is that good just for bass or are you guys catching halibut off those also. Thanks in advance from the newbie
huntin4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

thanks for the report and pics Roby,
I was a great time with alot of nice people, it's like Matt said earlier "it's friggin fishin" and that's exactly what went on in grand style yesterday.
I ended too quickly as most fishin trips do...nice to see you all out there,
A definate do over, thanks again to everyone who participated, I think this
could become a "thing"
what do you all think?....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Oh,
I didn't see you there welcome to the club...just hang around here awhile,
lots of good folks lots of info...sounds like you got a good start with tackle there, but let me warn you it only gets better, the you obsessed like the rest of us...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I think this
could become a "thing"
what do you all think?....b
You mean like a monthly get together/jackpot and maybe a pot luck afterward........ridiculous!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
lbsurf2ca

I grew up fishing and diving in this area. I can't wait to make a rerun trip.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
paintnfish

Somebody get this "Thing" together ! good to meet you all.
I got out before the real Memorial Madness kicked in.
paintnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Here is the video camera picture, hunting4fish took of us, as we were setting out out to the sunrise.

Roby your neglected to mention your biggest catch up the day, I saw it with my own eye an enormous 14ft x-factor.

wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
StinkyMatt

Fun times boys. Lots of good folks, great info exchanged and sweet weather.....

When in Vegas ......I can't hit 21

Halibut fishing guess what is my most common number? 21

Matt

Last edited by StinkyMatt; 01-23-2011 at 03:01 PM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
fishinkid2010

Nice going! Looks like a lot of fun, with some nice weather.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin4fish View Post
Quick question. Im just getting setup for yak fishin. Grew up in the southeast bass and trout fishing, Have basically ZERO saltwater fishing. I have bass and trout setups but what would be a good economical setup that could be used for Halibut rod, reel and line weight? Right now I intend to stick to inshore fishing until I get more comfortable with the yak and gear, Also I have a bunch of big hammer swimbaits, is that good just for bass or are you guys catching halibut off those also. Thanks in advance from the newbie

You'd probably benefit from starting a new thread, listing some of the heavier stuff you have & going from there. One of the nice things about yakfishing is that your yak is secondary drag, allowing you to go lighter. What do you have as far as 10#+ gear?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Nice day on the water. Great to meet some new faces. Might have been a little better without all that bright moon the few days prior, but still some fish to be had. Congrats on the yak PB Eric. It is a good thing that X-Factor was released, I think they are out of season. Matt, stay focused on 18 or 21, just switch pounds for inches.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
I agree with Hunters Pa. You should start a new thread. There are plenty of folks that can help and are more knowledgeable if you post in the "General Discussion." A quick response from me would be to get a combo that can handle 15-20lb. A Penn Jigmaster is a good all around reel.

Quote:
You mean like a monthly get together/jackpot and maybe a pot luck afterward........ridiculous!
Haha...I hope the Baytubers put on some more tournaments in Cabrillo.

Quote:
Might have been a little better without all that bright moon the few days prior, but still some fish to be had.
There were alot of shorts caught. I think theluckypig released two legals as well...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
GregAndrew

PedalGuy Rick took home a 27 or so incher also. And Heather, aka Mrs. LuckyPig caught a 23 for sure.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
theluckypig

it was a great day with you all! and just to be clear (because she complained...), theluckysow (heather) caught and released the two legals, her firsts for the year... i only managed shorts...

see you all out again asap!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
ericko

I HAVE MANY THANK YOU'S TO HAND OUT

1)Stinkymatt for setting the trip up and giving me shit for missing the dana trip cuz i had a running nose (i was just a puss and wanted to sleep cause i fished the day b4)

2)Roby your bait and showing me that there are fish in the sea to catch

3)Mtnbykr2 your ability to gaff my 27 inch butt and drag it all over the place cause dumb ass left his clip at home cause i never catch anything worth talking about.

4)Gregandrew for just being a cool dude and willing to give a helping hand(info) to bad it matt didn't listen

5)Wiredants its nice to see my old ride has found a good home...LET YOUR WIFE NO THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NOT COUGHT ANY FISH...I TO DID NOT CATCH ANY ON THAT YAK i just could not tell you to your face...you need to break the curse ill go fishing with you any day that im not working..

6)bellcon you were the only 1 that answered my 4? on the other post

7)Dad and step mom dad cleaning my fish and Pat for making an awsome dinner..

shit i look back at my day and all i did was catch the fish and ate it later..i dont think it gets any better...

so those that helped me out i owe you all a big thanks

LETS DO IT AGAIN
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post

5)Wiredants its nice to see my old ride has found a good home...LET YOUR WIFE NO THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NOT COUGHT ANY FISH...I TO DID NOT CATCH ANY ON THAT YAK i just could not tell you to your face...you need to break the curse ill go fishing with you any day that im not working..

LOL!!! I didn't expect that response in a 100 years!

I told my wife that my kayak was cursed and she burst out laughing and told me i can not get a third kayak.

I really need to break that curse, i have only been fishing for 2 months and the only fish i have caught was those suicidal mackerel on my sabiki rig in Newport Beach.

My wife also had a feeling that i was not going to catch anything and was waiting at home to go buy some fish tacos.

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks like you guys had fun! And congrats on the nice halibut ericko! You guys got to fish with the best, and it looks like it payed off! Too bad I couldn't make it...but the rockfishing this weekend was exellent!

Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote