Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
CR Yaker

Lowrance Elite-5

I have had nothing but bad luck with these units down here in CR. Whether I goop the card slot and cover the time/speed output, it doesn't matter on my AI/TI kayaks. They go to hell in no time. Other than find a cover to protect them from the salt spray, I am at a loss on how to get a dependable durable sonar/gps unit to keep for over a year??? FYI, I have already replaced the 2 units under warranty, last year. Now one unit doesn't work at all and the others GPS doesn't pick up signal. Arggghhh

Any suggestions on how to keep a working unit going for over a year?
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I had mine for a couple of years with no problems at all. Never used any sort of goop on the card slot. But I did use a lot of dielectric grease in the plugs and freshwater mist sprayed it after every use.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
momo fish

Odd to hear that.. Had mine for a while also and never an issue..

I also applied grease to protect the plugs and also hosed it down or wiped with wet fresh water rag to clean after every trip..

I also don't launch or land with it up to prevent salt water issues.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I have had card slot issues with my Elite 5's also. First one failed after a few months and Lowrance replaced it. However, they tell you to remove the card before you send it in for repair and my issue was that the slot was so buggered up that I could not eject the card. Naturally the replacement came without a Navionics card. I bought a new one and had the same problem after a year. Then I went with the Elite 5 DSI and had the same problem after a year and change. I now have gone back to the Elite 5 without the Navionics card so I hope it lasts for the year while I am in Mexico. I have come to the realization that because we have kayaks without the typical engine and upkeep and fuel costs, the electronics become expense items.
Maybe these guys that don't have problems just don't fish enough. I'm sure mine would last a lot longer sitting in my garage.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Not fishing enough lol. That's a good one! I'll give you $100 tomorrow if you can convince my girlfriend and my whole family of this.

Last edited by YakDout; 03-12-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: .
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
momo fish

I'll double that... I'm out at least once a week.. Summer when kids are off school it's more like 3 times a week...

Maybe mine last longer cause I don't catch anything..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
I'll double that... I'm out at least once a week.. Summer when kids are off school it's more like 3 times a week...

Maybe mine last longer cause I don't catch anything..
That must be why mine has lasted a while....
Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #8
CR Yaker

That's it, snapped the darn Navionics micro card in half playing around. Yes, I use dialectic grease also. Going to try a different tact, use a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-i8200 Factory Unlocked International Version for speed and GPS with the Boat app from Navionics. Put in a
Ultraproof Waterproof Case for Apple iPhone 6 5S 5C 5, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 - [Black] Universal UltraBag Waterproof Pouch with Touch Responsive Front

, placed in a Railblazer holder, in place of the Lowrance. Also I will go with a Humminbird 407860-1 HDR650 Digital Depth Gauge , waterproof, up to 600 ft, probably half that in salt water.

Let's see if I can get more than a year out of this configuration.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote