Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
CR Yaker

Adventure Island Fishing Advice Needed Please

I posted this over on the Hobie forum but thought maybe it would better to post here, more active fisherman.

From the experienced AI fisherman here, much appreciate any advice in differences with fishing on an AI as opposed to my out front Pacific experiences on a Hobie Revolution 13.
Have one question in particular. On a fully assembled and loaded AI, what is the maximum amount of drag that can be applied to a large fish safely for a fairly strong 170lb man?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 07-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
What may I ask are you fishing for? Most of us normally do not need more than 40 lbs of drag to fish locally. Personally I never fish over 20-25 lbs test line. The guys in Hawaii and Australia fish big tuna and marlin from their AI's. They seem to have no major problems.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 07-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
CR Yaker

Anything big enough to take you for a sleigh ride. Suspect you can apply a little more pressure on a fish on an AI due to the larger resistance? More than what your physically capable of? What is that possible maximum point on an AI? On a Revo 13, about 20 lbs. of drag is all you ever need for sledding or straight over the side safely.
YT, Marlin, Sailfish, Shark, Wahoo, Rooster, etc. All can take you for a ride.
Makobob, thanks for the reply but I have to ask again? What is the maximum point of drag capable safely out of an AI? I have never read in all my searches an answer from anyone or why this question would not have an intelligent answer/opinion.
I'm getting a new AI.
Do I have to find out on my own?
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 07-11-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That yak can be towed, only Hobie might be able to say for sure. But it would surprise me if it was less than the weight of the boat loaded.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
easyday

I don't really see how the platform your fishing from matters. The size of fish would dictate how much drag would be applied.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I don't really see how the platform your fishing from matters. The size of fish would dictate how much drag would be applied.
Guess I'm looking for an answer from someone experienced in an AI. How much drag/force can you apply from an AI sideways or towed? There's a limited amount of force that can be applied in this instance before your drag has limited benefit. Also one must consider safety, guess that would be an experience factor and how much drag you apply safely at any given moment so as to not be pulled from the Kayak on a sudden burst.
Over the side of the AI, guess I already have an answer in my mind. 20 to 25lbs max. Be pretty tough to physically handle 30lbs sitting in a yak, but not impossible?
I'm reaching here for answers.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
MrPatrick

Watch the videos on YouTube and see what techniques they use. Wher they position them selves and where the position the rods. I don't think there is one right way to fish from an AI.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Watch the videos on YouTube and see what techniques they use. Wher they position them selves and where the position the rods. I don't think there is one right way to fish from an AI.
Yeah, I've watched alot of those videos and none of them ever discuss the drag and how much is possible from an AI. Jim Simmons talks about it in relation to a paddle yak but I'm interested in what an AI can handle.
Technique, yeah those vids are good to see, more interesting is how they set up their AI's.
There are two variables going on here.
One, the force or pull of the fish. (Assume that force is greater than you resistance)
Two, the amount of resistance of the AI and the necessary speed/time to achieve equilibrium to the amount of force applied by you, the drag, and the AI resistance.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
easyday

Do you have one of these mounted up front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1373597823797.jpg (48.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
CR Yaker

Thanks guys, I think Makobob hit the nail on the head in a private message.
30lbs max in the AI, short pumps and use the mirage peddels in reverse to apply more pressure. Skys the limit.

Oh yeah, looking forward to the AI in CR.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
CR Yaker

Quote:
Nice, do they come custom fitted?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Nice, do they come custom fitted?
Im sure ram has a mount for it!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
taggermike

You seam to be asking a very technical question. The increased in drag of a AI vs the drag caused by a single haul kayak?? I hav fished from an AI and it does take more to move it sideways though the water. Certainly there is a time when an increase in drag on the reel will lock the reel and put all force in to moving the boat. Not proud to say but this spring I hooked a dolphin on 40 lb. I locked my hand down on the reel, stopped all line from coming off the reel, and could not break him off. He did slow down but just dragged the yak side ways. I actually dragged the kayak up to him and cut off with less line out. Laterally is one thing but If the fish is straite under the boat then drag of boat through the water is out of the equation. Any way, how much drag to you want fish on what lb line? Are you going to set a lever drag's drag with a scaLe and then never adgust it? Don't worry about numersN just put good presure on and kill the fish. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Kelp Cutter

Quote:
Well played
Kelp Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You seam to be asking a very technical question. The increased in drag of a AI vs the drag caused by a single haul kayak?? I hav fished from an AI and it does take more to move it sideways though the water. Certainly there is a time when an increase in drag on the reel will lock the reel and put all force in to moving the boat. Not proud to say but this spring I hooked a dolphin on 40 lb. I locked my hand down on the reel, stopped all line from coming off the reel, and could not break him off. He did slow down but just dragged the yak side ways. I actually dragged the kayak up to him and cut off with less line out. Laterally is one thing but If the fish is straite under the boat then drag of boat through the water is out of the equation. Any way, how much drag to you want fish on what lb line? Are you going to set a lever drag's drag with a scaLe and then never adgust it? Don't worry about numersN just put good presure on and kill the fish. Mike
Thanks Mike for sharing that. Your right, lighter setups will work fine. Just that I'm here in the States now and would like to load up with the gear to get the job done as effectively as possible on the AI for the next year. I'm thinking of stepping up from the Avet JX's with 65lb braid to a LX Raptor with 80lb braid. I'll set it for 30lb full and about 20lb strike. This reel will give me plenty of beef for the game I'm after.
Mark