Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
old_rookie

launching locations

Is LJ shores the only spot in the SD are to launch a kayak to the ocean?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

The Pacific Ocean is pretty large... Where in particular are you trying to get to? La Jolla?
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
old_rookie

Nowhere yet - I haven't read any topics as to where people are launching from in SD - in OC I see the Dana Pt. area. I was thinking there is something unique about LJ that I don't know about. It must be the short, flat sand and a relatively close place to go- vs. Coronado, long sand, extra distance...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
dick fabulous

Or the submarine canyon in LJ might help.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I was kind of wanting to know where there may be some access places to the Kelp by Ocean Beach and that area. I'm guessing that would have to be a beach launch.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

La Jolla is unique because of a few things.
1. It's a fantastic fishery with fish being caught there all the time. Yellows in the 20-40# range and Cbass in the 30-60# range being caught there often.
2. La Jolla is a baby beach meaning that the surf is usually small and easy to manage and on summer days it's pretty much lake La Jolla. It's easily the safest place to launch in the open ocean here in San Diego.
3. It's a short paddle to the fishing grounds. Just get past the reserve which is a short 10-15 minute paddle and you can start fishing.
4. Bait is usually easy to make and if you want there's the the kelp to fish that hold good calico fishing.
You can pretty much launch wherever you want. Guys launch out of Cardiff, Carlsbad & Oceanside to name a few. You can even fish the bays, It's just up to you and your ability.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I was kind of wanting to know where there may be some access places to the Kelp by Ocean Beach and that area. I'm guessing that would have to be a beach launch.
Jimmy most guys that fish the Point Loma kelp from the kayak launch from either Mission bay and make a left or from SD bay and make a right or you can just launch from dog beach on a small surf day.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkysd View Post
Jimmy most guys that fish the Point Loma kelp from the kayak launch from either Mission bay and make a left or from SD bay and make a right or you can just launch from dog beach on a small surf day.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
That's what I was thinking of doing for both locations. Launching from Mission for Ocean beach Kelp isn't that long of a trip and it could be fun. Dog beach does have some small days also.

Thanks for the advice Ken.

As far as Coronado is concerned there is a place over by the High Rise condos that use to be pubilc parking and the walk from the beach to the water isn't that long, but the surf there also can be unpredictable at times. Usually though it's rather small.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Rob929

http://www.plasticnavy.com/launches/
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
old_rookie

Ken - that's the information I was looking for - I had a feeling it was that - thanks for clarifying.

Rob929 - great info - I'm planning on hitting MB and SD bays - could not figure where in SD bay is launchable.