Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
BT

SD bugs

Well it has been a while since I have taken my kayak out. Before the end of the last kayak season my wife and I purchased a home and the kayak was put on the rack for to long. Last week I took a few friends out on a coworker’s boat for their first time buggin. I cringed at the fact that I had to share 4 bugs with three guys. I got one, my other buddy got one, and the capt. got two. The whole time I was thinking damn...if I was on my yak, I would have four to myself hopefully!!!!!

So I start getting my X-factor back to snuff. Clean out the cobwebs (literally...sad I know!) get my gear in order, and test out the electronics. I took out 4 flat nets and one eclipse. Stuffed the hell out of the bait cages with macks (friggin squidco had macks the size of 2 liter soda bottles), salmon heads and filled the spaces with dines. One thing I learned....you aren’t going to catch that many bugs with bait that jingles around in a bait cage....STUFF THEM MOTHERS!!!!

Yesterday I loaded up and hit the water at 4:30. Got to the spot a little while later and dropped them before sunset for a nice long soak. Right before dark I hit the lights and within seconds my FF reads LOW VOLTAGE! DAMN IT! I guess the inactivity of the batteries sucked them dry (I charged them over the weekend) so I just used my FF intermittently. I put a couple of light sticks atop my fishing pole for safety, and kept my headlamp on all night. Waiting for the first 30 mins after sunset I decide to indulge in a cigar

For those of you who enjoy a smoke on the water...CAO Gold Karats. 4 x 38...slightly smaller than a corona and they burn for about 20-25 mins. Just enough time to wait between pulling sets.

So 30 minutes past sunset (hoops in water for about an hour) and I start to pull. First net 3 shorts, 2nd net 2 shorts and one keeper (2 lber), and the rest of them all have at least three shorts. Next string yields average 3 shorts per net and the last one has another solid keeper. The next two strings the crawl seemed to slow, but there was at least 1 in one of the nets. Last pull I let them soak for an hour and enjoy another tasty smoke.

Last pull.....pull up all the flat nets for nada and pull up the eclipse thinking I am going home with two solid bugs. There I see a bug that looks like it could be a keeper. Throw on the glove and go to measure him. I had a good grip on him and he moves a bit and actually grabs my finger in his friggin mouth!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHH! These little suckers have some power in their jaws!!!!! I wanted to rip his tail off right there and eat it raw I was so pissed. Didn’t break skin but man it wasn’t pretty. So I measure him....about 30 times...with TWO DIFFERENT GAUGES! He just makes it and I now know which the first bug I am going to eat is.

Started the paddle back in, turned off the FF and the battery had enough juice to power the lights for the paddle back in. Not a bad night at all, and lunch is going to be a good one today.

3 keepers (2 solid models 1 just turned 18 yesterday)
I would estimate about 30 shorts

Sculpins are stupid fish. Last week we had about 5 that got their jaws stuck in the nets and last night had another that came up dead.

Once I got home I burned the ends of the feet with a lighter of the one that bit me. I also did chinese water torture (salt water of course) and put him on the rack. JUST KIDDING!

I did take the tail off of two of them (the savage one is going on the BBQ in a little bit) and the meat was brown (pic below). I never saw this before and I posted on another forum asking what to do and a guy who owns a seafood distro said to cook it up and it will be fine. I will give that one to the wife just in case though.

anyone ever see meat like this on a bug? I killed them when I got home (still alive and kicking) and tailed them a minute or two later.

The three ....the offender is the little one on the left....always the little guy.

in the tank fresh out of the water

So now I am tired from not paddling a yak in months...sore...groggy...in need of sleep, but I am gonna do it again next week!

BT
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Great report!

Never seen brown meat sea roaches (weekend rain run-off? ).

What color did he cook up?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
Great report!

Never seen brown meat sea roaches (weekend rain run-off? ).

What color did he cook up?
didnt cook him up yet. vacuum sealed him and he will be served up this weekend.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I hope to be out soon, to follow up on a great start to the bug season, and I know now to be very careful with their mouths!

Weird color, is it the one that bit you? Maybe the meat color is in response to burning his toes!

Great report, and Congrats!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Sherm

Great report....I had a bug like that last year. Only the meat close to the body was brown though. The meat in the tail was white and the entire thing cooked up fine. Heading out tomorrow night with Spyder and masta. Hope I find some keepers like you did.

I like the Padron 3000 on the water. About the same amount of burn time as the one you mentioned. See you on the water.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
BT

Handyman-
No that wasnt the one that bit me....this is the one that bit me...

Sherm...The Padron is a close second for me. My fav cigar hands down is the Padron Aniversario Principe. Took one of those on the water once....a goood night!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Sherm

The anniversary series is a great cigar. A little pricy for everyday consumption.....but a great stoagie. Give me a PM and we'll see if we can't hoop and enjoy a stoagie together sometime.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
FISHIONADO

To be blunt... oh, nevermind. Great report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
The anniversary series is a great cigar. A little pricy for everyday consumption.....but a great stoagie. Give me a PM and we'll see if we can't hoop and enjoy a stoagie together sometime.

Will do! I am pretty busy over the next week / weekend but I will shoot you a PM after sunday!

BT
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
To be blunt... oh, nevermind. Great report!

Phillies...........like the avatar says ROLL IT!!!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
john p.

Biting could be a normal response when you know your captor is going to spike you in the brain then tear your body in half

The padron mentioned looks like about 8 to 10 bucks, a little pricey for an everyday at least for me.

Rocky Patel vintage 90 and 92 I find to my liking for a little less. "Smoke on the Water" ( Deep Purple for the younger crowd )
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by john p. View Post
Biting could be a normal response when you know your captor is going to spike you in the brain then tear your body in half

The padron mentioned looks like about 8 to 10 bucks, a little pricey for an everyday at least for me.

Rocky Patel vintage 90 and 92 I find to my liking for a little less. "Smoke on the Water" ( Deep Purple for the younger crowd )
Check Liberty Tobacco for the Padrons. I get the 3000 series Padron for $5.50 over there.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
john p.

Good deal, I don't get by there too often. I'll check it out when in the area. Have been going through Cigars International. Tried out a new one recently, Blue Label and thought it was very good. Check out the Joe's daily deal, free shipping. Ghurkas tonight 10 for 29.99
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #14
lamb

Nice going!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
bajadog
I eats what I kills

That looks heavenly.

Quote:
Handyman-
No that wasnt the one that bit me....this is the one that bit me...

Sherm...The Padron is a close second for me. My fav cigar hands down is the Padron Aniversario Principe. Took one of those on the water once....a goood night!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:

Last pull.....pull up all the flat nets for nada and pull up the eclipse thinking I am going home with two solid bugs. There I see a bug that looks like it could be a keeper. Throw on the glove and go to measure him. I had a good grip on him and he moves a bit and actually grabs my finger in his friggin mouth!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHH! These little suckers have some power in their jaws!!!!! I wanted to rip his tail off right there and eat it raw I was so pissed. Didn’t break skin but man it wasn’t pretty. So I measure him....about 30 times...with TWO DIFFERENT GAUGES! He just makes it and I now know which the first bug I am going to eat is.

BT
That reminded me of something that I saw on Spearboard a while ago.

This guy had an 8lb lobster take off the tip of his pinky finger.

Here is the full story: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=20099

And another more recent thread on the subject: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=70920

Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks again.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
That reminded me of something that I saw on Spearboard a while ago.

This guy had an 8lb lobster take off the tip of his pinky finger.

Here is the full story: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=20099

And another more recent thread on the subject: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=70920

Seriously, thanks again Doug. All these years pulling bugs out of trenches while diving at night, I had no idea. I've never been one to look on the spearboards, or ever had a chance with an eight pound bug, but this info will come in handy if I get that chance. Don't worry Doug, I'm not looking for a new BFF, but I sometimes feel I owe you something for all the great info. That submersible VHF with internal GPS and distress beacon that automatically transmits your position is awesome!

Sorry for the threadjack, BT .
Old 10-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Siebler

When i saw that thread reappear on Spearboard I wondered how long it would take to get posted here.

Gnarly huh

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
kareem korn

Quote:
didnt cook him up yet. vacuum sealed him and he will be served up this weekend.

I would'nt chance it. Give it to the mother in law.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
FISHIONADO

Ouch! I forgot my gloves one night last season, I did ok and brougt home dinner, but can't imagine diving and sticking a bare hand in a hole at night.

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote