Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
undyingpirate
Junior

Dana Point 6/6

Hey everybody this is my first post here. My friend Zach and I hit up Dana yesterday in hopes of finding some flatties. We launched around 9 and were out by 3. We caught a few spotties and short buts. We still can't seem to hook up on that elusive 22"er. I came up with so many raked baits and never felt a thing, anyone got any tips? Oh, and on a side note, my friend dropped one of his rods in the water right on the inside of the breakwall about 50-100 yards away from the mouth of the harbor, so if you are lucky you might find yourself a nice, slightly used, shimano setup...
-SEAN
Attached Images

undyingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
B Slate

Welcome
Looks really nice out there. You can use a trap rig to prevent the raked baits, but makes a harder release on the shorts.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
T Bone

I second the trap rig.Did you try the rivermouth?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Vikingj

Hey Sean,

I saw you otw when I was out at the monthly kayak fishing tourney sponsored by Tim's DP Jet Ski/Hobie kayak dealership. It sounds like you did as well as most and better than some. It was really S_L_O_W! Unfortunately, the rivermouth was unapproachable due to the unusually high surf at Doho. I won the pot with an embarrassing small sandie, but it was the only legal fish caught by any of the participants. You and Zach might want to join in next time.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
undyingpirate
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Hey Sean,

I saw you otw when I was out at the monthly kayak fishing tourney sponsored by Tim's DP Jet Ski/Hobie kayak dealership. It sounds like you did as well as most and better than some. It was really S_L_O_W! Unfortunately, the rivermouth was unapproachable due to the unusually high surf at Doho. I won the pot with an embarrassing small sandie, but it was the only legal fish caught by any of the participants. You and Zach might want to join in next time.
Wayne
That sounds pretty cool man. Let me know the details about it, that sounds like it would be a fun thing to do.
undyingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Vikingj

"Fishing with Friends" kayak fishing tourney is posted on a local board at http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/ or call info for Dana Point Jet Ski and Hobie Kayaks. Usual the 1st or 2nd Sat of the month, 7AM-2, informal, $10 fee, biggest legal fish takes all, 3-15 kayakers, potluck lunch at 2PM. Hope to see you at the next one!
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
gilrockit
Gilrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
"Fishing with Friends" kayak fishing tourney is posted on a local board at http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/ or call info for Dana Point Jet Ski and Hobie Kayaks. Usual the 1st or 2nd Sat of the month, 7AM-2, informal, $10 fee, biggest legal fish takes all, 3-15 kayakers, potluck lunch at 2PM. Hope to see you at the next one!
Wayne
Thanks for pushing the fish with friends at Dana Point Jet Ski. We need all the people we can get. Thanks Gilbert Dana Point Jet Ski Team Captain.
gilrockit is offline   Reply With Quote