Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
acorad

Dondo Bones

I was able to get out last Sunday and also yesterday, for my first two fishing trips out of Redondo.

Last Sunday it was just me, 8 or 9 cattle boats, a dozen or so kayakers, and scores of stand up paddlers.

I trolled my way out to where the party boats were and picked up a bonito on the Rapala on the way out. I haven't caught any bonito in years, and man, the amount of fight in these fish is impressive!

When I got to the boats I trolled around for a while for nothing, and then, as I was leaving, I got a big hit that broke off.

That was my only Rapala so I tied on a soft swim bait and headed back in and got spooled and broken off again!

Thankfully, I guess my second rod had heavier line on it, as I was able to land a nice bonito on a soft swim bait right next to the "Sport King" party boat. The captain was awesome, cheering me on as the bone pulled the kayak around a little.

Except for a couple big mackerel, that was it for me so I headed in.

Yesterday I headed back to Redondo and found no party boats and not nearly the crowds of last week. And this time I was armed with my fish finder. It was the first time I've ever used it, and I really liked it. I found a spot where there was a pretty steep drop off from about 100' to 150'+ and there seemed to be clouds of baitfish, so I trolled around there for a couple of hours.

After being broken off 3 or 4 times last week, I had loaded my rods with 65#braid and 20# leaders. No breakoffs this time!

After a number of annoying hyperactive mackerel, I was able to hook my first bone of the day, and he was a fighter!

I've been using pretty light tackle - freshwater bass gear, mainly. #45 spinning reels, and old 5-15# rated rods. Man, the bones bend those rods down into the grips! Super fun, but when a fur bag almost got one of my fish (he bit the tail almost off), I realized I really should have some stouter gear in order to get the fish in the kayak faster.

After a while the bite seemed to calm down and I noticed a private boat anchored a ways off with a red diving flag. Figuring they would only be diving there if there was something to see, I headed over. Sure enough, they were spearfishing and I hooked a nice bone on my first pass by the boat. I ended up landing 3 or 4 bones there in rapid succession. Again, the big ones bending my rods into pretzels.

I ended up keeping three fish, the largest weighed out at 5.5#. I threw a bunch back, probably landing 10 or so for the day. I'm using an old cooler that's been kicking around in my garage strapped to the back of my Revo 13. It's been doing the job but I should probably upgrade to some kind of kill-bag.

Talked to some very cool kayak fishermen yesterday, and saw a guy fishing that looked like he had an electric motor on his Hobie?

Anyway, super fun, and delicious!

Andy

Last edited by acorad; 11-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
cris

looks delicious!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
jbl_91762

Thanks for the report! Man I need to go fishing and never fished Dondo, nor caught a bone. So Im planning on heading out there next Saturday for a stab at getting pulled around by a bonito. I hear mixed reviews on the taste of them so I'll most likely catch and release. Where do you launch?? (from the Ruby's diner locations other posts mention?)
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
acorad

jbl I'd follow the other thread on where to park/launch. As it turns out I got lucky and have a friend who docks a boat in the marina, so he gets me in.

As far as eating them, they taste just like any good tuna you have had. The issue is that the texture is softer compared to most tuna. But if you treat them like tuna, which means bleed them out when you catch them and get them on ice right away, they are great.

Let us know how you do!

Andy
Old 11-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
So Im planning on heading out there next Saturday for a stab at getting pulled around by a bonito.
Keep an eye out on the weather. It might be pretty windy this weekend.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Love Dem Bonez

That was me in the new Outback..."and saw a guy fishing that looked like he had an electric motor on his Hobie?"
I love that Bixpy Jet Motor...so cool for an old lazy guy and such a pleasure to troll with...it never gets tired...LOL...!
Fun morning with no Sport boat or Private boat pressure...although that really keyed the fur bags on the kayakers... I don't mind losing a fish once in a while to feed the thieves but when they take a $10+ jig...then it gets personal......LOL...the wrist rocket and some paintballs are the only way to go when they get that thick...

Love Dem Bonez...Sunday's dinner...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
acorad

Dang, Jim, how many people are you feeding?!

I pan-seared some last night with my ahi spice. So good.

More of that tonight...

Andy

Last edited by acorad; 11-29-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
jbl_91762

THanks for the heads up gents, not going this weekend since I'll be in Glamis, but am shooting for Sat Dec 8. If anyone plans on going and would like company please let me know as I've never been to RB to kayak fish.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
That was me in the new Outback..."and saw a guy fishing that looked like he had an electric motor on his Hobie?"
I love that Bixpy Jet Motor...so cool for an old lazy guy and such a pleasure to troll with...it never gets tired...LOL...!
Fun morning with no Sport boat or Private boat pressure...although that really keyed the fur bags on the kayakers... I don't mind losing a fish once in a while to feed the thieves but when they take a $10+ jig...then it gets personal......LOL...the wrist rocket and some paintballs are the only way to go when they get that thick...

Love Dem Bonez...Sunday's dinner...

Looks delicious
cris is offline   Reply With Quote