Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I almost lifted the curse... Fishing report 1/29/2011

The Curse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post

5)Wiredants its nice to see my old ride has found a good home...LET YOUR WIFE NO THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NOT COUGHT ANY FISH...I TO DID NOT CATCH ANY ON THAT YAK i just could not tell you to your face...you need to break the curse ill go fishing with you any day that im not working..
Ericko told me the kayak is cursed because he never caught any fish with his old x-factor, and i haven't caught any good fish except for bait since i started in November.

Today:started at 7am

I started out in Mothers Beach in Marina Del Rey, CA and i bought some live sardines from Mike at Inseine Bait.

So i started fishing south of the of the entrance of Marina Del Rey and just ended loosing some bait to squid. So i catched some squid after reeling in my dead sardine by using my landing net, and stuck that sticky squid on my live bait hook. I trolled that squid for about 2 miles and ended up by Venice pier about 75 ft deep.

time: 11:30pm

I threw that squid away and put another sardine on my hook. At this time, I see the Charter fishing boat leave a fishing spot at about 60ft water and i decided to fish that spot i had a rubber fish on my G-loomis rod on my right side and a live sardine setup on the left side. I see a small cloud of bait on my fishfinder and i decide to throw in some catfood in the water. 2 min later my whole fishfinder turns black and the water is full of bait fish. I have my fish id on and my fish id alarms starts beeping like crazy.

Then suddenly BOTH RODs STARTED BENDING HARDCORE UNDER THE KAYAK!!!

I started to panic and picked up both rods, and i set the hook by lifting the rods upward in a fast motion , both the rods start bending like U and i can't lift the rods anymore, both rods slam on to the side of the kayaks and i am unable to real them in. I start lifting each one separately and started reeling in what i could manage, but both fish are pulling the line so tight that its starts releasing a lot of drag. At this point the reel is not turning and both fishes are pulling a lot more line and i can't even reel it in. Fine i said, i put one rod under my leg and focus on one rod. I start reeling it, lift up and reel., lift up and reel. Then the fish escapes. Whatever i said, i go to my G-loomis rod with the rubber bait and its been under the kayak. I am scared to lift it because i didn't want my rod to break, and or the fish to escape like what just happened on the other rod since it was shaped like a u, i work on the fish for 15-20 mins and i can't get anywhere. i start to be pulled into deeper water I am now in about 75 ft of water . I struggle to lift the reel and i can't, i can't even turn the reel. so i decide to loosen the drag. The fish runs with the drag, the fish gets loose and that how i ended with this story.

On the way back i have to navigate my way back like a mouse because of all these sailboats.

This was the most exciting day of kayak fishing i have had since i started.

The day i lost the big one!!! but it was great feeling....

Then we went to captain kidds in Redondo Beach, and ate fresh fish steak.

Any tips on what the pros would of done would be much appreciated.

My Route:

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
ericko

Ya lets go fishing next weekend the 5th at cabrillo bch start time 630 will break that curse...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
dorado123

Wow !!!!!

That was A good fishing story

Everyone got panic that situation

At least you didn't lost any rod and reel and didn't flipped

I might did..................
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
RK

QUOTE=dorado123;74401]Wow !!!!!

That was A good fishing story

Everyone got panic that situation

At least you didn't lost any rod and reel and didn't flipped

I might did..................[/QUOTE]
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Ya lets go fishing next weekend the 5th at cabrillo bch start time 630 will break that curse...

I am going to try.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

congrats on the bsb...that's probably what you let go...the thrill of something like that is something you will never forget, happend to me in Santa Barbara last year, best adrenaline rush since go cart racing...
there will always be the next big one, maybe you'll stick it next time...great job...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
fishchaser25

not much you can do. work one fish at a time and keep steady pressure on it while fighting and hope the hook doesn't pull or the line breaks. great story tho
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

ok, should we take a count for next saturday...? and I pose one question... should we try and find "the one that got away" at MDR?
what's ya'll think....b
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Soup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
congrats on the bsb...that's probably what you let go...

This is my home turf, and I have never heard of a Black Seabass coming out of that area.

Probably a big shovelnose, though it could of been a large leopard.

The double hookup suggests a group of them, which is pretty common with sand sharks in SMB.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
This is my home turf, and I have never heard of a Black Seabass coming out of that area.

Probably a big shovelnose, though it could of been a large leopard.

The double hookup suggests a group of them, which is pretty common with sand sharks in SMB.

Jim
whatever....a sliegh ride is a sliegh ride isn't it?I have lost a few battles, but the feeling of the fight is priceless...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
wiredantz

MDR Sardines cost $5.00 and parking at mothers beach is $8.00 for 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

time: 11:30pm

I threw that squid away and put another sardine on my hook. At this time, I see the Charter fishing boat leave a fishing spot at about 60ft water and i decided to fish that spot i had a rubber fish on my G-loomis rod on my right side and a live sardine setup on the left side. I see a small cloud of bait on my fishfinder and i decide to throw in some catfood in the water. 2 min later my whole fishfinder turns black and the water is full of bait fish. I have my fish id on and my fish id alarms starts beeping like crazy.

The time was actually 11:30am

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-31-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

I have not been to MDR yet this year, and Kendall is up for it, let's check... Ericko...what's you think...MDR or LBC?
Matt tou still out? anyone one else, have any input??? I say let's go hunt what WD sent back....b
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Nice report. You'll break that curse.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
StinkyMatt

As long as you don's see the fish that broke you off, you can have it be ANYTHING that YOU want.

I, for example broke off numerous Marlin, giant YT, and possibly Moby Dick inside the Newport Harbor.

Must have been a thrill.....

No go for me on Saturday. Family thing. Don't nobody catch nothin' nice without me, damnit!

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
whatever....a sliegh ride is a sliegh ride isn't it?
I guess to some...

I don't know Dude... I mean I suppose it could of been anything, you want to say it's a black that is fine by me. Just trying to pass on some actual info on what you guys might expect to hook there. I guess it all depends how you look at it, but for me when I see things like this I try to figure out what he actually might of had on. Totally self serving if I thought C-bass were in there I'd be loading my fishing yak, not hooping yak on the truck today.

From his description it sounds he was fishing Venice reef or the inside edge of it. Sounds like the New Del Mar hit it right before him which since they are fishing bass not butts pretty much confirms he was right on the reef.

In the past that area has kicked out some quality fish: Some big halibut, an occasionally quality White Seabass or two, but they are usually on the outside edge of it. It tends to get over fished. The MDR boats that have been fishing it are catching bass and sculpin right now with no halibut or Seabass in their counts, and since they hit that spot every day, that would suggest he hooked something else.

Personally I have fished that spot a lot. I hoop it, have kayaked it (went there on my first trip) as MDR is my home port. I've skiffed fished it a bunch, and since I also used to run a 56ft sport-fisher "Alamos" out of MDR I used to hit it with the big boat, so I actually know that area and reef pretty well. Basically it's the closest structure to the harbor, and usually the last place I'd set up a few drifts, on the way home.

If I had to call it I'd say he hooked a couple of big leopard sharks as they sometimes come in thick there and I have caught back to back big leopards there in the past.

I mean really it's no big deal to me, I just looked into it because I was wondering If I should take a rod and stay a little later next time I hoop the place.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-01-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I guess to some...

I don't know Dude... I mean I suppose it could of been anything, you want to say it's a black that is fine by me. Just trying to pass on some actual info on what you guys might expect to hook there. I guess it all depends how you look at it, but for me when I see things like this I try to figure out what he actually might of had on. Totally self serving if I thought C-bass were in there I'd be loading my fishing yak, not hooping yak on the truck today.

From his description it sounds he was fishing Venice reef or the inside edge of it. Sounds like the New Del Mar hit it right before him which since they are fishing bass not butts pretty much confirms he was right on the reef.

In the past that area has kicked out some quality fish: Some big halibut, an occasionally quality White Seabass or two, but they are usually on the outside edge of it. It tends to get over fished. The MDR boats that have been fishing it are catching bass and sculpin right now with no halibut or Seabass in their counts, and since they hit that spot every day, that would suggest he hooked something else.

Personally I have fished that spot a lot. I hoop it, have kayaked it (went there on my first trip) as MDR is my home port. I've skiffed fished it a bunch, and since I also used to run a 56ft sport-fisher "Alamos" out of MDR I used to hit it with the big boat, so I actually know that area and reef pretty well. Basically it's the closest structure to the harbor, and usually the last place I'd set up a few drifts, on the way home.

If I had to call it I'd say he hooked a couple of big leopard sharks as they sometimes come in thick there and I have caught back to back big leopards there in the past.

I mean really it's no big deal to me, I just looked into it because I was wondering If I should take a rod and stay a little later next time I hoop the place.

Jim
The problem is if you don't land the fish or get it to show color you have know idea what it is. Not to sound like an ass but to me it sounds like a snag. The fishfinder went black, did he go over a bunch of kelp or a large reef? the fishing poles both bend like a U, was there yanking? Was drag taken out? typically if it is a large fish the line screams out, snag not so much. The pole bends and hits the side of the yak again sounds like a snag unless his drag is just super tight. He is afraid to lift the rod because it might break, again how many rods break catching fish? I have hooked a boat who went over my line and my rod did not come close to breaking, 10-20lb bass pole, drag screamed out until I broke the line off. I have felt that I could break my pole when pulling hard on a snag though buttoning my drag tight. Fish are either taking out line or I'm reeling them in, I feel head shakes and pulls. I guess I've said enough but I had the same thought when I read about it being a BSB. I'm just saying............. Who knows ...... the fish never came up.... Either way great job getting out on the water. I am not sure a sleigh ride is a sleigh ride, I'm more like Jim, I want to know what is giving me the ride and ideally I'm only happy if I land the fish!

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning . I just know I've been out on the water with friends who get excited when they have a snag because they think it is a fish.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
The problem is if you don't land the fish or get it to show color you have know idea what it is. Not to sound like an ass but to me it sounds like a snag. The fishfinder went black, did he go over a bunch of kelp or a large reef? the fishing poles both bend like a U, was there yanking? Was drag taken out? typically if it is a large fish the line screams out, snag not so much. The pole bends and hits the side of the yak again sounds like a snag unless his drag is just super tight. He is afraid to lift the rod because it might break, again how many rods break catching fish? I have hooked a boat who went over my line and my rod did not come close to breaking, 10-20lb bass pole, drag screamed out until I broke the line off. I have felt that I could break my pole when pulling hard on a snag though buttoning my drag tight. Fish are either taking out line or I'm reeling them in, I feel head shakes and pulls. I guess I've said enough but I had the same thought when I read about it being a BSB. I'm just saying............. Who knows ...... the fish never came up.... Either way great job getting out on the water. I am not sure a sleigh ride is a sleigh ride, I'm more like Jim, I want to know what is giving me the ride and ideally I'm only happy if I land the fish!

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning . I just know I've been out on the water with friends who get excited when they have a snag because they think it is a fish.
lol...

As far as the fishfinder i was just sitting over a bunch of sand.

I know a snag and i know when i have something big. Something big doesn't pull on the line so hard and then stop and keep going again until your rod starts bending under the kayak that you can't lift it up. I fought that beast for 15-20 mins and that beast kept pulling line out of my reel and i could not reel it back in. I felt every movement that fish did with my rod, as he swam deeper and farther away and when i tried to reel him in he kept pulling harder Snag doesn't pull out drag while your in one spot and then swims down so hard your can't reel in and or pull the rod up.

At that moment all i could see around me wsd just a huge amount of bait fish, so whatever was down there was chasing those bait fish.

As regarding my fishing pole i was using my $200ish 20-40lb g-loomis rod that i love so dear with my $ 200 reel and that was the most force i have ever felt on my rod and i did not want to lose my rod.

Even though i lost the fish, it was an epic feeling.

But people don't have to believe me, this was my experience after all.

LONG LIVE KAYAK FISHING

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #18
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
lol...

As far as the fishfinder i was just sitting over a bunch of sand.

I know a snag and i know when i have something big. Something big doesn't pull on the line so hard and then stop and keep going again until your rod starts bending under the kayak that you can't lift it up. I fought that beast for 15-20 mins and that beast kept pulling line out of my reel and i could not reel it back in. I felt every movement that fish did with my rod, as he swam deeper and farther away and when i tried to reel him in he kept pulling harder Snag doesn't pull out drag while your in one spot and then swims down so hard your can't reel in and or pull the rod up.

At that moment all i could see around me wsd just a huge amount of bait fish, so whatever was down there was chasing those bait fish.

As regarding my fishing pole i was using my $200ish 20-40lb g-loomis rod that i love so dear with my $ 200 reel and that was the most force i have ever felt on my rod and i did not want to lose my rod.

Even though i lost it, it was an epic feeling.

But people don't have to believe me, this was my experience after all.

LONG LIVE KAYAK FISHING
Amen brotha....
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
the dude

Quote:
Not to sound like an ass but to me it sounds like a snag.
X2

structure in current can feel fishy...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
X2

structure in current can feel fishy...

Yep seen it more times than I can count.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote