Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Quilted Germ

Humminbird 597ci HD or Lowrance HDS-5?

Thoughts betweent the two. Only thing with Humminbird is that they only have the 83/200 xducer vs Lowrance that has the 50/200 which seems to be best for fishing LJ which is typically where I go. Seems like the HDS-5s have their fair share of issues. I feel like I've read a lot about people having to take them back. But it also seems that a lot of people prefer these in LJ. Haven't heard/seen much from the Humminbird people. Would love thoughts on both. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Quilted Germ

Really??? Not one comment??? Would love some help guys....and not from some bass fisherman in Florida.....Please?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
j mo

HDS 5's have come down in price...........Just saying:d oh:
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Quilted Germ

So the lower price makes you feel better when you are removing your unit and packing it up to return it....got it. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks J Mo for the insightful yet meaningless response. But beats the crickets heard earlier...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Dannowar

Ok I'll play. Enjoy the seemingly thoughtless electrical connections on the humminbird. For a company that also makes kayaks under another name,you'd think they would have thought about putting the electrical connections in a spot that doesn't sit in water every time you take a wave in the launch or any water in general.

Chirp chirp. Chirp chirp.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Lipripper92592

Can't tell you much about the humminbird, but I had the HDS 5 for a few weeks and wasn't too happy with it off la jolla. The unit will let you see each individual fish in a bait ball, it has that much detail. I have also seen as screen shot of about 4 carp at a depth of around 10 feet that is so detailed you can tell it is a carp. If I was normally fishing in less than 60-80' I would have kept it. MY only and major gripe was there is no zoom function. You have to look at the entire water column, at that is determined by depth. So here is my paddle out of La jolla.....screen set to 30 feet....paddle a bit....set screen to 60 feet...paddle a bit....then hit the canyon....no depth registered.....pass the canyon, set up screen to view 80 foot column, then on to 100' and so on. Mind you that you have to enter the main menu, and navigate a bit to set the screen, it's not one touch zoom in zoom out. In 100' of water, most fish are just a little blob on the screen, you can barely make it out, and if you have salt splash on your screen, you'll miss them completely. Go for the HDI 7, ( if that fits your bill, and get the best of both worlds) you get Chart, HD 50/200 or 83/200 combined with DSI on a 7 inch screen. You can get one for under $700, probably some deals out there for a bit less. Let us know what you get and why you made that choice. Good luck.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Can't speak for the humminbird but I'm sure they are good units as well. But on the other hand I can speak for the HDS7, which I have. Definitely a good unit, you have enough screen to better see what the heck is going on down there...not sure what lipripper was saying about the zoom...? Sure there is a zoom function, at least there is on mine and I'm sure the hds5 has the same...So far so good on my unit no problems yet, but I did have transducer trouble, but lowrance took care of it. If I had to complain about something though it would be that the chart for la jolla seems to be missing, everybody seems to have that complaint.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Quilted Germ

Thanks guys. Does anyone have insight on the 50/200 vs. 83/200 transducer in LJ?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
j mo

Gregg you know you still wont be able to catch fish either way.....And you dont really need a fishfinder just ask Julie or AAron.....

Yes I have had 2 units go bad on me but as you know I tend to focus on cleaning my fish rather than my equip unlike you the perpetual skunk(Zinger?!); but that is what I bought the westmarine warranty for.

Try the search function on the forum; the topic of which FF is best has been discussed ad nausea.

Still if you insist in letting others do you work for you I have a link for you http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hds+5+vs+humminbird+597

and
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ge...ing-transducer

ps
you want to fish this weekend or monday?

Last edited by j mo; 02-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
Thanks guys. Does anyone have insight on the 50/200 vs. 83/200 transducer in LJ?
You should go with the 50/200 it's designed for fishing in the ocean where as the 83/200 is designed more for a freshwater application I believe.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

I had both.

First I purchased the H Bird.......Incredible resolution! Second trip out I started having problems with my depth reading. My buddy and I, both with the same FF reading a 20 foot difference right next to each other. There were some other issues, do not remember exactly what else. The connections (as stated in another response) do not seem like they would stand up to salt water too long. Returned that FF after a couple trips.

I purchased the HDS5x a year ago and absolutely love it. Once you practice with it a little it provides a lot of info and is fairly user friendly. YES there is a zoom with dedicated keys right on the face of the unit without any navigating to get to it. You can even record your sonar returns and replay them. You do adjust it a little every time you go out to match the water (as most units probably do too). In fact I like my first HDS5x so much I just purchased another one with a GPS.

Good luck with the search.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
jorluivil

I'm planning on buying a HDS5 very soon, not because of its awesome features, its price or the great customer service that I heard Lowrance offers but because Matt has one and he catches lots of fish

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Can't speak for the humminbird but I'm sure they are good units as well. But on the other hand I can speak for the HDS7, which I have. Definitely a good unit, you have enough screen to better see what the heck is going on down there...not sure what lipripper was saying about the zoom...? Sure there is a zoom function, at least there is on mine and I'm sure the hds5 has the same...So far so good on my unit no problems yet, but I did have transducer trouble, but lowrance took care of it. If I had to complain about something though it would be that the chart for la jolla seems to be missing, everybody seems to have that complaint.

My bad.....I need to actually read the post before resonding... I was refering to Lowrance DSI not the HDS unit, dang nomenclature, sorry for the confusion. The HDS kicks but
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote