Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Yellowtail Biological Sample Donation Help

Calling all Recreational fishers: I need your HELP!

The 2012 fishing season is upon us. Local yellowtail are being caught and seen on a daily basis. NOW is the time to get on the water in search of that trophy yellowtail. From recent reports on BWE it is apparent that there has already been WFO yellowtail fishing to be had at "The Jewel"... La Jolla! Grab your YoYo set up, jig stick, and candy catcher and get on the water NOW!

With that being said, I have no doubt that numerous BIG yellow will be caught in the next coming days, weeks, and months. That is why I need your help. For the past few years I have collected samples from highly migratory species that are caught from around southern California. The samples being collected are part of an extensive biological database being compiled by the Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, Ca. NOAA Fisheries, and partners. The research being conducted is designed to provide accurate data for the long term management (not closures) and sustainable fishing of many species. The only way to accomplish anything like this is with help from recreational and commercial fishermen. Recreational Fishermen, Commercial Fishermen, and Scientists all need each other now more than ever.

In the past management has done several things to ensure the success and future of critical sport and commercial species. MANY people think the rebound in LOCAL white seabass and halibut fishing is due to the ban on inshore gill netting. Like white seabass and halibut, yellowtail fishing has been VERY GOOD in recent years! Both of these species are good indicators that with proper management and enforcement many southern Ca fisheries should remain healthy for seasons to come.

• Like tuna, yellowtail are caught offshore and can have highly migratory behavior with seasonal migrations. Unlike tuna, yellowtail are commonly found in inshore waters associated with structure like kelp beds, rocky substrate, and deep water canyons.

• Yellowtail are an important recreational and commercial game fish. Amazingly, very little research has been conducted on them, and as a result, we don't know very much about the life history of California yellowtail. NOAA Fisheries began collecting DNA and other biological samples from yellowtail caught inshore and offshore of southern Ca in 2011.

• Yellowtail are a very interesting species which seem to exhibit several different life history strategies. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not yellowtail are swimming 100 miles off the coastline, or cruising just outside the surf line 100 feet off the beach. Either way, yellowtaill appear to be happy.

As we all know, yellowtail can be difficult to hook, let alone catch. That is why I need your help! Our goal is to collect 100 DNA samples from yellowtail caught at La Jolla each year. I already have 5 samples from 2012! They were donated by a FEW skilled anglers that frequent this message board! You guys know who you are… thank you very much for your help!

How YOU can HELP:
  • Catch a yellowtail
  • cut a chunk off of one of the fins and freeze it
  • record the date caught and measure the fork length
  • call me for pick up or delivery of fin cutting
  • OR: After filleting your fish put the entire fish carcass in a bag.
  • call me for pick up or delivery....
The picture below shows an example of curved fork length: curved fork lengths are NOT the recognized method for measuring fish. WCW tape shots are usually examples of curved for lengths...

If you can, please take a fork length, as well as a curved fork length for comparison. Both measurements will be helpful. If you're only going to take one measurement, it is better if you take a fork length (NOT curved fork length). Fork length is measured in almost exactly the same way as curved fork length, except you measure under the fish. It's easy: just put the measuring tape under the fish instead of over it... then measure it from the tip of the mouth with the mouth closed to the fork in the tail...

The entire carcass is very useful. There are many different samples and questions we can address if we get the entire carcass. For example: the otoliths (stones) can be used to learn more about the growth rates and migratory patterns of yellowtail. Plus it won't stink up your trash cans....

Not only are yellowtail a very fun fish to catch, but they also taste great! Without help and donations from members of the public many of these programs would not be possible. Just remember: It is important to measure the fork length of your fish if you plan to donate a sample. Send me a private message or call me if you get a fish and want to donate a sample!

Thank you and see you on the water!

Owyn

(858)342-6372

In case you're bored.... A little about myself:

Being born and raised in San Diego my parents took me to La Jolla Cove, and put a dive mask on my face before I could even walk... The rest is history! I was instantly hooked on the amazing diversity of marine life and beautiful fish swimming around every which way. My dad was curator and collector at the Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla. As a kid I spent most of my time trying to memorize fish names and go diving as much as I could.

I went to Santa Cruz in 1998 and attended UCSC and studied for my Marine Biology degree in between barrels at 4 miles and New Brighton State Beach. After graduating I worked various jobs until moving back to San Diego in 2005. At that time I took up a job with West Marine where I worked until 2007 when I was hired to work for NOAA Fisheries. I have conducting a lot of the biological sampling for the large pelagics lab at NOAA over the past 3 years. I also work research the foraging habits of tuna. When away from the lab I can be found surfing, diving, and fishing up and down the west coast of North America, from Santa Cruz to remote locations in baja Ca, I love it all.

I started fishing La Jolla from my 12 foot skiff Dos Ballenas in 2005. I fished hard all summer and caught a lot of smaller yellowtail using different techniques. For the most part we trolled Rebel fast trac minnow lures and Rapalas. We had lots of fun and my buddy even caught a yellow over 25 lbs!

In September of 2005 I started fishing with live bait more and more. I found out that yellowtail can be caught all around La Jolla, and the best way to catch bigger "homeguard yellows" was with live bait! I caught my first yellow over 25 lbs on a carolina rigged pacific mackerel over a sandy bottom in 65 feet of water… we had a double hook up… one a barely legal halibut, the other my biggest yellow… in mid September La Jolla 2005! We launched at 5:30 and only had time to make 5 baits and do a few drifts. The fish bit 30 minutes before sunset on the first drift. Sorry the pic is tiny…

Another favorite: This one was a kayak fish caught mid October 2009, north county fish. Unfortunately this is one of the last yellowtail that will be caught at this location...you will be missed Cardiff Pipe!

Recent favorite: Caught mid September 2011, note the empty beach.

February 17th 2008 Double 6:30 am. Live squid. Carolina rig. Two cranks off the bottom...

In between aluminum skiffs and motor trouble I kayaked for a few years... I spent a lot of time on the water with that kayak. I still have it and take it out every other year

I still fish La Jolla A LOT. Nowadays it's out of another tin can skiff. Stop by on the water and say hello.... I'm hard to miss usually!

Last edited by dos ballenas; 02-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
dorado50

Owyn, what is the address of facility to drop off samples? I'll be by to drop some off tomorrow..thanks dave

and possibly friday
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Owyn, what is the address of facility to drop off samples? I'll be by to drop some off tomorrow..thanks dave

and possibly friday
8604 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037-1508

http://swfsc.noaa.gov/

Thanks Dave!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
RK

BUMP
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
sharonkayak

great reason to go out fishing!

sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Bump
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
RK

Bump cause I like your beard
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Could you bump the YT into action? They seem to have gone on vacation.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
j mo

Bump, cause your "skiff mate" is a hottie!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
RK

Bump cause it looked like you shaved your beard..
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
dos ballenas

40 lbs even September 2011

Last edited by dos ballenas; 03-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
dorado50

TTT....cause thats a big tail Owyn!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
dos ballenas

38 lb and 38 lb double half day summer La Jolla 2010

Last edited by dos ballenas; 02-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
RK

Bump
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Bump
Thanks for all the heads Koubanater!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
RK

Bump...

for the noisy motor
Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
dos ballenas

BUMP

Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
RK

Bump

Cause Im drinkin my coffee.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
dos ballenas

bump because there are no yellows in LJ!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
dos ballenas

Bump!

So far there have only been a half dozen BWE members to help out....

whats the deal guys!?