Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Ive been yak fishing over 17 years and back then there weren't many people to go with. I lived on the outer Banks of NC for a year 8 years ago and saw exactly 1 other yak angler in that time. I meet people at the launch and on the water but it just doesn't occur to me to set up meetings in advance or to have trips hinge in others availability. Mike
I wonder if it was the same DB who tried to run me down as well at Dana a few weeks back 2 mi out.

one warning shot over the bow
next into the wheel house

threating yakkers life = one step up in escalation of force

fuck that shit...

go out solo alot
even with buds end up solo
stay out forever

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
FARRIER

Flying solo is common amongst many kayak fisherman. But if you bring a handshake, a friendly attitude, and an extra beer or two its hard not to make friends. Rule of thumb for me is dont fish farther out than you can swim back to shore.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #23
Sheephead

I used to go with a partner my first 2-3 trips to LJ. After that I've had to get used to becoming a lone wolf. I'm the only thing you'll see out there on stormy days. The most serene days are when no boats/ yaks are on the water and its raining. If you go solo be comfortable capsizing and up-righting your yak in open water with gear equipped and without a pfd on. Bring a quality compass, fog can roll in fast. Even on sunny days!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
Maxfli123

Solo...or with a buddy it's all about awareness like most have already said. I like to fish so it's not about who but when I can go, with 2 small kids I'm lucky to sneak out Sunday mornings. Not may people want to wake up early Sundays and now that people are watching football it's not likely to find someone who wants to fish.
On the bright side you can set the pace and not worry about going too fast or slow, you can pick what spots for how long and if you jump from spot to spot it's all good. Be safe out there!
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #25
InfidelYak

This weekend I intend to launch and fish solo if anyone wants to join me. If not then more fish for me I guess haha
InfidelYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #26
acorad

I go solo about 1/2 the time.

Great tip on bringing a compass. I was out in the kelp in the 'Bu last winter in the afternoon, and the fog rolled in and it got to be twilight, and I had to listen to hear the waves hit the beach to orient myself.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote