Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Redeyejedi

toyota 4x4 with an elocker
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
bolocop

Get a Subaru Outback. It's full-time AWD and with a 4-cyl, you get 24-30MPG.

I have an Outback and a truck, although I use the truck mostly because I have a PA (too damn heavy) now, I used to load a tandem Hobie on the Outback.

Trucks are nice, but realistically, you're gonna get 19MPG on Avg.

The Subaru Outback fits your needs perfectly, including the cost. Tacoma trucks aren't cheap! V6s get you to $30k quick.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post

I have an Outback and a truck, although I use the truck mostly because I have a PA (too damn heavy) now, I used to load a tandem Hobie on the Outback.

The Subaru Outback fits your needs perfectly, including the cost. Tacoma trucks aren't cheap! V6s get you to $30k quick.

Outback or the cross-trek. One of these two will likely be my next ride.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
troutking

I have a 2010 Toyota 4 runner and a 2013 Toyota Tacoma. Wouldn't mind getting rid of one of em. PM me if you are interested.
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Outback or the cross-trek. One of these two will likely be my next ride.
I have a '99 Subaru Forester and a truck. The Forester works good for me. I used to throw my folded porta-bote on top and all the accessories inside and had plenty of room. I use it now to transport my 12' Tarpon around. 4 cylinder and AWD.
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Tuff guy

I love my wrangler unlimited. Does not get 20mpg though...
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Lipripper92592

Had a 2001 taco 4x4 Total Chaos long travel with 33's, probably around 19-20 on the highway, sold it with 139,000 for $9500, still running strong down here in SD. Have had two Grand Cherokee's the since 2010, just sold a WJ and bought a 2005 WK with a 5.7 Hemi, 4' lift and 33's....and yes it does burn gas, but heated seats, lockers front and rear and power to pull puts a smile on my face. Just about any moded jeep or taco will get you anywhere....Moab, to Baja and anywhere in between. The new Cherokee's have a great diesel engine.....720 miles on a tank.
If you decide to buy new, keep in mind that the moment you drive off the lot....your resell value has dropped significantly. Buying used ( of course inspected and in good condition) is usually a better deal than new. Paying more for a fuel efficient vehicle versus a less fuel efficient vehicle added a reduced cost....well do the math....5-6 grand buys a lot of gas.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Fish n Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
I love my wrangler unlimited. Does not get 20mpg though...
+1 Love my Wrangler JKU.. Im regeared with 37s and get 12/16 mpg city/Hwy. Definitely not something I would load a PA on though wih a 6' lift lol. Fits my Hobie Outback perfectly though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (67.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (60.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0994.jpg (68.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 333.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Poser3.jpg (65.4 KB, 23 views)
Fish n Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
EDC

Tacoma or the Subaru. I would lean more towards a Tacoma though because it is a truck and you can do everything with a truck. Both cars hold their value very well so you can't go wrong with either. I have an 04 Ford f150 FX4 which is great except I will never be able to sell it for anything and on a good day with upgraded intake and exhaust I only squeeze out 13.5mpg. Trucks sure are convenient though.
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
tacmik

I think you should have got a mule.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

Since I just picked up a PA I am now looking for a truck - time to get rid of my Envoy XUV. Looks like the Taco is getting thumbs-up all around. Don't need anything fancy, just a Home Depot runner and yak hauler. I have a Civic for commuting and wife has a nice SUV for family outings.

What should I look out for on higher mileage Tacomas? Other trucks to consider?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Since I just picked up a PA I am now looking for a truck - time to get rid of my Envoy XUV. Looks like the Taco is getting thumbs-up all around. Don't need anything fancy, just a Home Depot runner and yak hauler. I have a Civic for commuting and wife has a nice SUV for family outings.

What should I look out for on higher mileage Tacomas? Other trucks to consider?
IF going with 4x4 check the CV boots, and spindle bearings, engage the E locker to make sure it works. Check out the "grey wire" mod online for a bonus! Check out the heads and look for leaks, coolant or oil. Test drive a few, the fellow I sold mine to stated that my taco with 139,000 had more power than others with around 80,000, so how it's driven and taken care of can make a difference in resell value.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Vansmack
Junior

Quote:
Get a Subaru Outback.
I was going to suggest a Subi, but the Forester, a little cheaper then the Outback, same kind of features. My wife recently got one with the 2.5 four.Plenty of power for what it is, and lots of room inside. We just did a weekend trip and avg over 30MPG, 25MPG commuting. Looking at roof racks for it now for bikes, kayaks and things.

Nice looking truck Shawny. Everybody needs a truck!
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
JDW

Quote:

I have a Subaru outback as well. I also have a small trailer for truck'n needs. The infotainment sucks but it runs like a champ off road and on.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
CKallday71

I use my Volkswagen Golf TDI for Kayak transport, hiking, camping, going to the shooting range ect. My lease is up in a few months and I'm likely going to be swapping out for one of the new TDI Sportwagens (Going to be called a Golf Sportwagen as of 2015 model year) just for extra space and built in roof rails.

I get almost 40 MPG Combined city and highway fuel economy average and I drive like an idiot most of the time.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Best all around vehicle has to be a pickup. From hauling trash or your friend's refrigerator or your kayak, to hauling camping gear or bikes and motorcycles, it's the only choice. I use mine (F150) for everything including pickup and delivery for my work. Only 15mpg average but it's a 4x4 which I haven't needed often but when I do I'm sure glad to have it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
MrM

I have two options... short and simple, any truck gets my vote.

I have a Jeep Patriot, low miles, has issues. Soon to be sold. That's another story. Anyway, It's a pain to load a kayak on top compared to putting it in a truck bed. Plenty of storage space inside though. Not the best in sand either.

My employer lets my drive around a crew cab f150, and I love that way more for transporting the kayak and gear. It's just simpler.